• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General 0 HP Magic Missile = Death?

Stalker0

Legend
This is a debate literally as old as 5e itself. At this point you have a couple of “quasi official” sources that says it’s separate damage, and that’s about it. In classic “rulings not rules” scenario, wotc has never decreed the “absolute raw” take.

Play it as you see fit

If they abort one missile, they would have to abort them prior to damage being rolled, otherwise they all do damage at the same time and it's too late.
True, I wouldn't allow it if the player rolled all the dice together.

An alternative approach would be to allow magic missiles to do non-lethal damage. Yes, I know it's not RAW and I don't care.

Last edited:

Why does it matter whether they're simultaneous or not?
Consider this. The wizard casts magic missile, upcast to level 2. They roll 2, 2, 2, 5 for damage. The target has 5 hp.

If the 5 damage is applied first, the target is dead. If a 2 is applied first, the target is still alive. If the damage is added together then applied, the target is alive.

MarkB

Legend
Consider this. The wizard casts magic missile, upcast to level 2. They roll 2, 2, 2, 5 for damage. The target has 5 hp.

If the 5 damage is applied first, the target is dead. If a 2 is applied first, the target is still alive. If the damage is added together then applied, the target is alive.
Luck of the draw, then.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
So the realities of play mean it can't be simultaneous. Which was my point. Simultaneous does not work in this situation.
No. In the real world, we can't differentiate in the way you want, so we roll each die separately and in order and apply the damage. because we are playing a game. I don't understand the difficulty. If the question is "how do we know which damage to apply first" the bleedingly obvious answer is "in the order they were rolled."

No. In the real world, we can't differentiate in the way you want, so we roll each die separately and in order and apply the damage. because we are playing a game. I don't understand the difficulty. If the question is "how do we know which damage to apply first" the bleedingly obvious answer is "in the order they were rolled."
All four dice where rolled together. Because that's what simultaneous means. Also, because that's the the way it works on a VTT, unless you insist that they are NOT simultaneous.

The thing that is "bleedingly obvious" here is that RAW does not work in this situation.

Dausuul

Legend

Interestingly, if you apply both of Crawford's rulings here, they solve this problem.

Ruling #1: Each missile counts as a single instance of damage.
Ruling #2: You roll a single die and use that damage for each of the missiles.

Since the damage is the same for each missile, it doesn't matter what order you apply them in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads