• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

0-level spells?

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
As well as the other common 0s mentioned here, I've seen my players make much use of daze at lower levels and one arcane trickster sneak attacking with acid splash / ray of frost with sneak attack.

solkan_uk said:
I like prestidigitation, but I can't motivate my players to use 0th level spells, except for the occaisional cure minor wounds, and they even tend to overlook that for any other healing available.

Next game I start I plan on allowing free access to cantrips once a caster can access 2nd level spells. See how that goes (will probably restrict wizards/clerics to their memorisation limit of different spells to balance it a little).

The biggest questions of balance are Cure Minor Wounds, which would become essentially infinite healing if given time, and the attack spells, Acid Splash etc, (though 1d3 damage, even as a touch attack, shouldn't make them too threatening). I might have to draft in some of the Pain of Healing rules from Iron Kingdoms to ensure healing doesn't get out of hand too much.

Though in retrospect, I don't actually have that much of a problem with being able to heal between encounters, at least in some games I run.
Especially considered that most parties stack up on Wand of Cure Light Wounds - okay, they cost more than Cure Minor Wounds at will, but it's simply to common and standard..
Acid Splash might become a problem if someone abuses this together with Sneak Attack, but since you are house-ruling anyway, you can also use house-rule to prevent such abuses (if they actually prove abusive.)

Pbartender

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Especially considered that most parties stack up on Wand of Cure Light Wounds - okay, they cost more than Cure Minor Wounds at will, but it's simply to common and standard..

Cure Minor Wounds would be the game breaker of allowing characters to cast 0-level spells at will.

If the cleric works contantly, he'd be able to cure 10 hit points every minute with Cure Minor Wounds at will. Most parties would be fully healed after a 15 to 30 minute break at most, and there'd be no limit to it.

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Acid Splash might become a problem if someone abuses this together with Sneak Attack, but since you are house-ruling anyway, you can also use house-rule to prevent such abuses (if they actually prove abusive.)

Sneak Attack plus Acid Splash or Ray of Frost would never become abusive... Once the surprise round is over, it's really hard to sneak attack with a ranged weapon.

Driddle

First Post
I make use of every spell available, one way or another. Zero-level cantrips/orisons are a resource like any other; no need to let it go to waste just because the application isn't readily apparent. You create the opportunity yourself.

Voadam

Legend
Driddle said:
I make use of every spell available, one way or another. Zero-level cantrips/orisons are a resource like any other; no need to let it go to waste just because the application isn't readily apparent. You create the opportunity yourself.

Examples of less common 0 levels in use?

I prepare open/close a bunch to be able to open doors on the run for the group, but it has only happened once or twice.

I used create water in a desert game once to make drinking water for the party and allies even though my character did not need to eat or drink.

Never used detect poison or a bunch of spells though.

Pbartender said:
Cure Minor Wounds would be the game breaker of allowing characters to cast 0-level spells at will.

If the cleric works contantly, he'd be able to cure 10 hit points every minute with Cure Minor Wounds at will. Most parties would be fully healed after a 15 to 30 minute break at most, and there'd be no limit to it.
My experience is that the same happens anyway. Regaining Hitpoints is never the problem - Wand of Cure Light Wounds are easily available and cheap. Yes, they cost more than just casting a free 0-level spell, but from a gameplay perspective, the net effect is the same. Not the lack hitpoints, but the lack of spell slots determine when the party needs to rest.

Pbartender

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
My experience is that the same happens anyway. Regaining Hitpoints is never the problem - Wand of Cure Light Wounds are easily available and cheap. Yes, they cost more than just casting a free 0-level spell, but from a gameplay perspective, the net effect is the same. Not the lack hitpoints, but the lack of spell slots determine when the party needs to rest.

Good point... And it's not as if 1 hit point per round will make a difference during a combat -- only between them.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
A nice cantrip I saw somewhere (I don't know where) was 'Count'. Instantly tells you how many coins in the pile of gold, how many matches dropped on the floor, how many bricks in the wall or whatever.

It's the kind of handy little 'utility' that I'd easily imagine existing as a cantrip.

Kyrail

First Post
I could never give an item that does any cure at will, it would obviously be abused eventully. I would have to give it a certain amount of charges a day that would refresh at dawn or something.

Voadam

Legend
Plane Sailing said:
A nice cantrip I saw somewhere (I don't know where) was 'Count'. Instantly tells you how many coins in the pile of gold, how many matches dropped on the floor, how many bricks in the wall or whatever.

It's the kind of handy little 'utility' that I'd easily imagine existing as a cantrip.

I'd hate to try to answer that type of question on non-coins as a DM. "How many trees can I see on the forest covered mountain?" "How many blades of grass in this field?" "How many bricks in this wall?" "How many grains of sand on this beach?" Me "uh, lots and lots. You get a very high number." I'm horrible at distances and estimating numbers in groups of things IRL so while it is a reasonable spell and great for coins, I'd dislike having to adjudicate it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads