D&D 5E 06/06 Q&A : Safe Rest Locations, Regaining Spell Slots and Cantrip Balance

S

Sunseeker

Why? Why should one option be objectively better than the other? Not everyone wants to be a Knight-Templar-style "iconic" cleric. IMO, both options should be equally valid; one shouldn't be obviously superior to the other.

Also, since inflict wounds is a swift spell that let's you make a melee attack but not use a cantrip on the same turn, melee clerics are already far superior to those that use LoF.

I honestly have always loved the "holy punisher" type who doesn't wade into battle with a made or sword, but using divine light to punish foes from afar. Sort of a "holy mage" but with less arcane whackyness.

pemerton

Legend
Neat. They've completely given up on fighter/caster balance.
I was referring to the cantrip damage.
Like [MENTION=90669]The Choice[/MENTION], I assumed you were talking about the resting/recovery rules! And (interpreted in that way) I had a similar response, but was also curious about their damage reduction ideas. (Though if damage reduction is really where the action is, then fighters should not need any higher hp than wizards.)

Except that they just showed that they didn't think carefully about the limits on cantrips.
I remember discussing this with you and [MENTION=43019]keterys[/MENTION] on another recent thread. I don't know D&Dnext well enough to know what the actual numbers should be - but it seems to me that cantrips have to be at least comparable in potency to the weapon attacks that casters might make, or else they are just pointless.

It's like they're aware of the problems with their game, but doubling down and calling them "features."
If you're prepared to elaborate, I'd be interested to read it.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
My preference would be for cantrips that can be used in interesting ways, rather than a bunch of direct damage spells. I would accept some that had low damage with an interesting effect though. In fact, I'd like to see a generic effect for each variety of elemental damage - fire gives a penalty to hit, frost halves your movement, lightning can arc to a neighbouring enemy, acid burns at the start of your turn, thunder knocks you prone and so on. They could all be rays or the attack fitted to the element type. I don't think clerics should have a damage cantrip, but if they want one, let it be themed to their deity, not just a generic beam of light. Make most cantrips appear to be utility spells, but provide some flexibility in their use - it could state clearly in silent image for instance that you can use it to distract an enemy by targetting their peripheral vision - fail a save and that enemy gets a penalty to hit, or can't take an opportunity attack it was entitled to (this would be as a reaction). Ghost sound could conceivably make it difficult to cast a spell, better imagined as a bonus to save (reduced DC effectively) against the spell cast than anything complicated. Mage Hand is already super useful and fun, but you get the idea!

Okay, here is my final solution for the old school iconic cleric issue. It's the only thing I can think of that doesn't nerf laser clerics, but still allows old school clerics to feel useful with their attacks.

Add a swift cantrip that provides a +2 to AC and lasts until the beginning of your next turn.

You can now choose a cleric that is either a heavy hitter (strength and martial/two-handed weapons), a holy punisher (sacred flame) or an old school mace and shield defender (the new cantrip).

Now, I just need to make sure the designers see it...

Warbringer

Explorer
[MENTION=882]Chris_Nightwing[/MENTION]

Yeah, I think this is the way to go, and avoids stepping on the fighters toes. The whole at will approach should be

Fighters - damage+protection
Clerics - enforcing their deity archetype, healing, controlling undead
Wizards - control, utility
Rogues - damage+creating combat advantage
Rangers/Druids - leveraging/controlling companions/summoned

Remove ads