D&D 5E 06/06 Q&A : Safe Rest Locations, Regaining Spell Slots and Cantrip Balance

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Where they go over the safe resting options, regaining spell slots on rest, and balancing cantrips

http://community.wizards.com/dndnex...ns,_regaining_spell_slots_and_cantrip_balance

As some I'd seen put forth the idea of being able to craft/create a proper safe zone for resting in wilderness settings, perhaps with some specialized for dungeons?
It's not something every PC will have access too, but makes for interesting options.

Regarding the last two, it's nice to see some confirmation, but I believe the answers are pretty much business as usual. ( at least from my perspective )

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Q&A 6/6 - safe rest locations, regaining spell slots and balancing cantrips

In this week's D&D Next Q&A, Rodney talks about safe rest locations, regaining spell slots and balancing cantrips.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Interesting that they mention player options for making an unsafe place into a safe place. Can't you do that (in indoor environments, at least) just by finding a well-defended room and barricading the door? Much as I want to reinforce that the dungeon is a dangerous place where you don't mess about, there's really not much I can think of to punish a party that does that (it came up in a game yesterday and I was stumped). Oozes creep under the door and kill them in their sleep, I guess? But if that's a hazard, I have a hard time believing anything lives in the dungeon.

But for wilderness adventures, that sounds really cool. The druid needs a spell to bless her sacred grove, so there's one. The Fighter[Soldier] could have an ability where, if he's on watch, it counts as a safe place. Hmm...

The stuff about making the outdoors comfortable sounds a lot like Essentials rangers wilderness knacks. I approve. However, I don't approve of not being able to fully heal outdoors. I don't like the idea of a 15 minute week.

If the PCs lock themselves into a dungeon, I figure the inhabitants can do the following:

Hang out there all night, making noise.

Set fire to whatever the PCs are barricading themselves in, or foul the air (smoke, or worse!).

Break in and kill the PCs. Magic is helpful for this.

Wall them in!

Of course, if there's no intelligent inhabitants in the dungeon, it's pretty much safe unless someone enters after the PCs.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
If the PCs lock themselves into a dungeon, I figure the inhabitants can do the following:

Hang out there all night, making noise.

Set fire to whatever the PCs are barricading themselves in, or foul the air (smoke, or worse!).

Break in and kill the PCs. Magic is helpful for this.

Wall them in!

Of course, if there's no intelligent inhabitants in the dungeon, it's pretty much safe unless someone enters after the PCs.
I always assumed that the intelligent inhabitants of the dungeon already have to deal with the other intelligent inhabitants of the dungeon. If Orcs are willing to break into a fortified area just to kill whatever's in there (and have a chance of succeeding), then why are there any Goblins left in the dungeon?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The benchmark for cantrips is sensible, but it does not obviously reflect the current test package.

Lance of Faith 1d8 (scaling)
Ray of Frost 1d8 (scaling) + reduced speed

Shortbow (simple weapon) 1d6 + dex bonus
Longbow (martial weapon) 1d8 + dex bonus

Is this really 2/3 to 3/4 as effective as a fighter? Even allowing for no bonus damage from magical ability, I think Ray of Frost is keeping up with bows pretty effectively.

The Choice

First Post
Neat. They've completely given up on fighter/caster balance.

I wouldn't say "given up" so much as "completely misrepresented the problems inherent to the non-caster/caster dichotomy."

Hit points measure durability and adventuring staying power, and the mechanics surrounding quality of rest are meant to affect those aspects of a character alone, not other areas of effectiveness.

I read that part, and think : Want to restore the only measure of your combat effectiveness, fighter-man? Well you better find yourself a nice, cozy inn if you want to heal up a few points. What is that, magic-dude? Want to restore your ability to rewrite the fabric of reality, an ability described as tasking and exhausting? A fitful night spent on a bunch of rocks in the deep cold of a cave will do."

Sometimes I wonder what type of game they are trying to make.

I always assumed that the intelligent inhabitants of the dungeon already have to deal with the other intelligent inhabitants of the dungeon. If Orcs are willing to break into a fortified area just to kill whatever's in there (and have a chance of succeeding), then why are there any Goblins left in the dungeon?

I like to split up my dungeons so the bad guys aren't constantly at each other's throats. This also means PCs aren't facing wave after wave of occupied rooms and end up chaining together very long encounters.

In other words, the orcs aren't fighting the goblins (or vice versa) because the dominance hierarchy has already been achieved. (A successful raid by the PCs could upset said hierarchy though.)

Remove ads