D&D (2024) Long rests getting better but GM needs still not being considered

Including that for clarity

Sometimes the party is under equipped with good reason & deserves it because of problems they created in the world & for the gm, that's a GM toolbox tool less available since 4e. Lets say the campaign is expected to take place in an area involving... I dunno... ten towns & cold themed stuff but bob wants to go elsewhere like silverymoon & you get elsewhere but Alice wants to go somewhere else like thay as soon as you build up a toehold of adventures. Treasure parcels make it harder for the GM to disincentivize that kind of me me me behavior & the "who cares if the prince dies if we rest [to nova every fight]" disregard for the world by using those player choices to add barriers between filling needs/desires while pointlessly fleeing just looking for the edge of the map .
I guess I don't see how that's a treasure parcel problem, as you've already chosen to go against much stronger guidance - the expected bonus at expected level one.
It also means that the GM can't include cool little things to be found as easily when players do something unexpected but worthy of finding a minor shiny thing so players don't look for them.
But it doesn't. It's just a wishlist and a vague approach to placing treasure. It's guidance not even a rule. Whereas +X at level Y is a lot closer to a rule because 4E's math begins to fray and break if you don't do it (at least it's stated with 4E - 3.XE has the same issue but largely unstated). Ironically the lower value of any given item and higher magic item churn in 4E allowed you to give out a lot more "goodies" than 5E does.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I guess I don't see how that's a treasure parcel problem, as you've already chosen to go against much stronger guidance - the expected bonus at expected level one.

But it doesn't. It's just a wishlist and a vague approach to placing treasure. It's guidance not even a rule. Whereas +X at level Y is a lot closer to a rule because 4E's math begins to fray and break if you don't do it (at least it's stated with 4E - 3.XE has the same issue but largely unstated). Ironically the lower value of any given item and higher magic item churn in 4E allowed you to give out a lot more "goodies" than 5E does.
The difference is how much control players feel they are entitled. Now in 5e they still feel they are owed magic items because it's d&d but the GM can't make it difficult with cause to pressure negative behavior as described because there are no needs to lose or delay filling.

The difference is how much control players feel they are entitled. Now in 5e they still feel they are owed magic items because it's d&d but the GM can't make it difficult with cause to pressure negative behavior as described because there are no needs to lose or delay filling.
Ahhh I see. I managed to control expectations to such an extent that it never became a problem for me, but I can see it might have if in a number of ways (not all of which are the DM's fault).

mellored

Legend
But they really werent lying about that, at more you need A magic item to deal with resistances, just a single 1, even just a Moonlight sword. The issue is more central around the game itself than that.
Resistance to non-magical weapons should die in a fire.

That said, magic weapon is available for paladins and rangers. Monks and moon druids get magic attacks by default.

So it's just fighters and barbarians that have issues.

But no real reason it should be. It's just a really odd artifact from early editions.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
while it's not a perfect solution i have a preference to the concept of only being able to recieve the benefits of a short rest unless you're in a suitably 'comfortable' place despite how long you rest, please note i am not a GM.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
while it's not a perfect solution i have a preference to the concept of only being able to recieve the benefits of a short rest unless you're in a suitably 'comfortable' place despite how long you rest, please note i am not a GM.
Not only is that not a solution at all... it also dances around acknowledging the idea of the problem caused by every "went to bed at night" being complete restoration of all things itself even existing. All that does is shift from endless half minute hero doom clock enforced schedules with no possible consequences for blowing them off to an endless series of princess & the pea excuses blocking off "comfortable"

The root causes of the problem is too egregious to design around

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Not only is that not a solution at all... it also dances around acknowledging the idea of the problem caused by every "went to bed at night" being complete restoration of all things itself even existing.
sorry i'm trying to get what you're saying here but i'm not sure if i actually am? why is it avoiding acknowledging the problem of every night being a full recovery if every 'went to be at night' is reduced to a merely being short rest, yes i acknowledge that it doesn't solve the core issue itself but it's still a response to acknowledging that it is an issue.
All that does is shift from endless half minute hero doom clock enforced schedules with no possible consequences for blowing them off to an endless series of princess & the pea excuses blocking off "comfortable"
hasn't 'you can only long rest in a town or other such settlement' been a standard idea that's been hanging around for ages? or giving your ranger or whoever a chance to be able to find an optimal location to (long) rest in the wilds with their nature-survival checks.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
sorry i'm trying to get what you're saying here but i'm not sure if i actually am? why is it avoiding acknowledging the problem of every night being a full recovery if every 'went to be at night' is reduced to a merely being short rest, yes i acknowledge that it doesn't solve the core issue itself but it's still a response to acknowledging that it is an issue.
For the very reason I expressed & you quoted
hasn't 'you can only long rest in a town or other such settlement' been a standard idea that's been hanging around for ages? or giving your ranger or whoever a chance to be able to find an optimal location to (long) rest in the wilds with their nature-survival checks.
edit: somehow submitted while typing. The trouble with your nonsolution is that it places the burden on the GM to come up with reasons why it doesn't fit to complete restore of all things even if there was previously a similar situation that allowed it in the past rather than just allowing the GM room to simply say "rules are rules you only get 1hp (or whatever)" when they don't feel it's appropriate to give more.

Call me crazy, but I don't think you're supposed to rest for 1 hour after every encounter.

Outside of "dungeons", a typical encounter seems like it really should have an hour of clean up. Adressing wounds (which may require removing armor if using medicine skill or if extracting arrows), cleaning weapons, butchering anything that ought to be butchered, looting & burying/burning bodies, explanations to city watch, etc.

Might not be a full party rest but definitely lets a couple recharge fairly often with versimilitude.

Remove ads