1.0a is effectively dead even if Wizards backs down, but it is still important to fight for it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's important to fight for the OGL v1.0a, I agree, but not because of any gesture that it might mean toward the community. Rather, it's important (at least to me) because there are entire game systems out there which are derived from the 3.5 SRD, and which won't be transferred over to the ORC License, leaving them effectively dead if WotC sunsets the OGL v1.0a (even if they migrate that and other older-edition SRDs to their new OGL, I wouldn't expect any publishers in their right mind to sign it based on the terms WotC has proposed to date).

Pathfinder 1E content. OSR content. Mutants & Masterminds content. All based on the 3.5 SRD, and all effectively dead without the OGL v1.0a. So yeah, it's worth fighting for, but not (just) because of respect, but because new stuff won't be made for games I'm not ready to give up on.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
It's important to fight for the OGL v1.0a, I agree, but not because of any gesture that it might mean toward the community. Rather, it's important (at least to me) because there are entire game systems out there which are derived from the 3.5 SRD, and which won't be transferred over to the ORC License, leaving them effectively dead if WotC sunsets the OGL v1.0a (even if they migrate that and other older-edition SRDs to their new OGL, I wouldn't expect any publishers in their right mind to sign it based on the terms WotC has proposed to date).

Pathfinder 1E content. OSR content. Mutants & Masterminds content. All based on the 3.5 SRD, and all effectively dead without the OGL v1.0a. So yeah, it's worth fighting for, but not (just) because of respect, but because new stuff won't be made for games I'm not ready to give up on.
That plus orphaned stuff that doesn't even derive from the 3.5 srd. Which isn't little.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
What world do you live in? Last I checked, Disney is like one and a half buyouts from having a complete monopoly on filmed media.
The thing is that Disney is doing great by any objective measure you might choose to use except the ones their shareholders seem to care about, and to them Disney was doing so poorly they had to oust the CEO and bring back the old guy.

The world is a very stupid place.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Pipe dream? Maybe. But I don't really need WotC at this point and will vote with my wallet.

If you don't need WotC, then fighting for "respect" from them is pretty meaningless.

It is also kind of a pipe dream. Companies the size of Hasbro don't recognize "respect" as a business driver. Individual executives may want to work with respect, but that only lasts as long as the individual does.

The reason to continue fighting isn't so much respect, as giving the new leadership understanding. Fact of the matter is, if Hasbro wants Big Money from the brand, media (TV and Movies) and videogames are reasonable routes to that money. But there's no need to muck with licensing for the TTRPG to get that money.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
If you don't need WotC, then fighting for "respect" from them is pretty meaningless.

It is also kind of a pipe dream. Companies the size of Hasbro don't recognize "respect" as a business driver. Individual executives may want to work with respect, but that only lasts as long as the individual does.

The reason to continue fighting isn't so much respect, as giving the new leadership understanding. Fact of the matter is, if Hasbro wants Big Money from the brand, media (TV and Movies) and videogames are reasonable routes to that money. But there's no need to muck with licensing for the TTRPG to get that money.
If you don't respect your customer base you quickly find you don't have much of a customer base. Understanding is part of it. A lot of people at Wizards do understand - the problem is the executives brought in the last 5-ish years. They don't seem to understand what business they are in.
What world do you live in? Last I checked, Disney is like one and a half buyouts from having a complete monopoly on filmed media.
They've had a year where most of their films didn't make money or barely broke even after marketing. Especially in animation - both Lightyear and Strange World flopped. Marvel is hurting, Disney+ isn't bringing in nearly enough subscribers to justify the expense, and - oh yeah, they fired their CEO on a SUNDAY to bring back the old CEO that greenlit all the projects that didn't make money this last year. Sure, the theme parks are full but even the Pixie Dusters are getting angry at the company for choices made. Also, losing the Reedy Creek Improvement District is going to make development at Walt Disney World a lot more expensive because the new district now has to make sure everything is up-to-code at the county and state level. Disney has also been doing a poor job of monetizing the 20th Century Fox library they've purchased - they don't know what to DO with it.

Remove ads