D&D 5E 1-3 Encounters per Adventuring Day

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Would a level 3 party take out a wearbear?
Werebears are pretty much immune to all non-magical damage, so a level 3 party is either going to need a lot of spellcasters or silvered weapons to take one out.

EDIT: Also, people often forget that Werebears are Neutral Good (unlike Werewolves). Why would the party be killing one?

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Werebears are pretty much immune to all non-magical damage, so a level 3 party is either going to need a lot of spellcasters or silvered weapons to take one out.

That's a good point. Of course if you were introducing a wearbear against a level 3 party you would foreshadow it and give them ways of learning they need special weapons for it.

EDIT: Also, people often forget that Werebears are Neutral Good (unlike Werewolves). Why would the party be killing one?

Please take that elsewhere. Already plenty of go nowhere alignment threads to do that dance to your hearts content.

neogod22

Explorer
I don't think I've ever played with 6-8 encounters in a single session, let alone an adventuring day. But I do agree that based off thst, encounters need to be tougher, especially at higher levels. At some point, low level thugs and goblins will know to stay clear of the PCs, and they will only have to deal with stronger monsters. I think what was meant with the 6-8 encounter day was, more than half of them should be skill based challenges and roleplay situations. Like you can have 2-2-2, to 2-3-3 in any combination either way, that should satisfy the 6-8 days.

I think what was meant with the 6-8 encounter day was, more than half of them should be skill based challenges and roleplay situations. Like you can have 2-2-2, to 2-3-3 in any combination either way, that should satisfy the 6-8 days.

It's not what was meant. 5-8 (not 6-8, not sure where the 6 came from) encounters/day refers to encounters which drain PC resources - i.e. hit points (and hit dice), spells, "per short rest" and "per long rest" abilities and so on.

Only a minority of RP or skill-based challenges are likely to actually meet these criteria, in my experience. Traps often will, if there are enough of them (not just one negated by a single roll). Trying to get across difficult and dangerous terrain may, if it's likely the PCs will need to cast spells to get past it and/or lose HP doing so. Social encounters though? They're extremely unlikely to in large part because it's so hard to cast spells in a social situation, and if a situation could devolve into combat, it's basically a combat encounter (just one you can avoid), and likely has either a zero resource cost (if avoided by Persuasion/Intimidate rolls together with good RP), or the same resource cost as a normal combat encounter. The binary nature of a lot of skill-challenge or RP stuff means that it's often hard to quantify in the 5-8 model, too, by which I mean so much of it results in a "zero resources used" vs. "lots of resources used" situation, whereas combat fairly reliably uses a moderate amount of resources.

I disagree with the OP that D&D 5E remains well-balanced at 1-3 encounters/day. At lower levels, it's not a huge problem, because the party has so few resources. It's thus very easy to think, particularly if you don't play above 5th or 7th level, that "This is fine". However, at, say 10th or 13th level? 1-3 encounters is a joke.

To challenge a party who are competent players, and understand how to manage their resources, with even say 3 encounters/day at 10th or so, you need to basically throw "Deadly" level encounters at them repeatedly (or close to it). This gets pretty old pretty fast, in my experience, and it still doesn't feel balanced, because it tends to be that the first encounter is a stomp, the second is a stomp but the players are concerned about getting low on stuff, and the third is precarious as heck (this ties in with what an earlier poster said re: a party with full resources being able to easily handle two deadly encounters).

I've got a lot of experience with this, note, because I have a party of 5-6 13th-level (actually 14th now) characters, and I've always found it difficult to build believable adventures with 5-8 encounters/day (outside of dungeon-type scenarios). Again, at lower levels, this seems to work fine - 1-3/day, and you don't even have to go that hard. Indeed 5-8 at low levels is often pretty scary stuff. But once you get up towards and into double digits, that has changed. Particularly if the PCs manage a short rest between the encounters. Whereas 5-8 feels really good at those levels.

I think any guidelines for 1-3 encounters/day are probably slightly pointless because the game just isn't built for it. A better approach, and one I'd consider with a new campaign where I was expecting to go with 1-3 encounters/day, might be to go towards the Gritty Realism optional rule in the DMG, though I think I'd go with the model where they can take a "break" for 1hr to spend HD, and maybe make the long rest be 3 days, not seven.

Shiroiken

Legend
Wile a lot of DMs prefer to use shorter encounters per day, it does impact the value of the different classes. With fewer encounters per day, fighters, monks, rogues, and warlocks get weaker, since their abilities are short rest or at will. Casters will get stronger, and they will spam the same concentration spells, then rely on blasting spells.

Personally I prefer to have a variable number of encounters, sometimes only a few, and sometimes a lot. This leaves the players guessing, preventing regular nova use of abilities.

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm not sure that's actually a balanced way to do it. Why do you think that's balanced?

I'm not sure that's true either. Curious your explanation for why you feel it is?
I've run dozens of 3 encounter days where the sum of the 3 encounters equaled the adventuring day xp at a variety of Tiers and found that it works pretty well to challenge the PCs and leave them feeling that one more of those encounters would be too much more them to handle without a long rest. Three 'deadly' fights in a day typically does this well.

1-2 encounter days whose total adds up to the adventuring day xp are a bit trickier, both in how difficult they are for the PCs in general (especially short rest PCs who find themselves making their basic attack only by round 7 or 8) and in the case of 1 encounter days, the fact that no one can spend Hit Die during the encounter. When I build these, I have to pay a lot more attention to exactly what monsters I'm using and the PCs abilities to give them a chance at victory while still making them scary enough that they consider fleeing the fight(s).

Most importantly, I don't push PCs to the limit every adventuring day, use a variety of different quantities, and also sometimes create challenges with far more potential combat encounters than the PCs can handle (in this case, they need to avoid some fights through skill and wit to get to their objective).

Because the PCs don't know what to expect from session to session and adventuring day to adventuring day, they tend to go nova only as a response to bad luck in an encounter rather than as a go to strategy, which makes challenge at any number of encounters more serious as the adventuring day XP guidelines are built assuming that PCs ONLY use their at will powers in any given encounter.

dave2008

Legend
We typically have 2-3 encounters per long rest. So I agree that it works great. However, I haven't used the encounter guidelines in about 4 years. I just make the encounter for what I feel the world and scenario demands. That could be easy or extremely deadly, that is for the PCs to figure out and handle correctly, not me (DM).

dave2008

Legend
Wile a lot of DMs prefer to use shorter encounters per day, it does impact the value of the different classes. With fewer encounters per day, fighters, monks, rogues, and warlocks get weaker, since their abilities are short rest or at will. Casters will get stronger, and they will spam the same concentration spells, then rely on blasting spells.

Personally I prefer to have a variable number of encounters, sometimes only a few, and sometimes a lot. This leaves the players guessing, preventing regular nova use of abilities.
I prefer to use fewer, but longer & tougher encounters per day. I find fewer but more demanding and longer encounters are roughly equal to more frequent, shorter & easier encounters.

Last edited:

I prefer to use fewer, but longer & tougher encounters per day. I find the more demanding longer encounters roughly equal to more shorter & easier encounters.
Yea encounter length is a big factor in difficulty that is glossed over alot of the time.
Longer encounters are exponentially harder due to the nature of RNG.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Shorter Encounter days don't impact the value of different classes nearly as much as people act like it does. I gave my reasons in the OP.

Remove ads