D&D 5E +1 sword or Flame Tongue- or both?

CapnZapp

Legend
I handed out a +0 flametongue to my group, and regret it. It's just a huge amount of damage, and it scales with each attack. The guy that has it waaaaay outpaces the damage of other fighter-types in the party. Which is not inherently bad but it wasn't in my mind when I handed it out. I did not intend to hand out a +0/+7 weapon, and that +7 is the average additional damage the 2d6 does on a hit.
More like +0/+25 per round. 7 per attack; three attacks at level 11; plus some more for GWF rerolling ones and twos.

And that's a conservative estimate (no minmaxing)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
More like +0/+25 per round. 7 per attack; three attacks at level 11; plus some more for GWF rerolling ones and twos.

And that's a conservative estimate (no minmaxing)

The only thing nice about a basic flametongue is basically makes GWM -5/+10 obsolete. Items that don't increase attack but increase damage a lot are good to hand out to non GWM users or even to them if the goal is to get them to use the feat less or make the feat less worthwhile.

fjw70

Adventurer
The paladin in my game has a flame tongue sword. It is definitely a power boost but that is what I wanted when I put it in. My group likes to play different games and we on,y okay once very couple weeks so I am not sure how far we will go with this game. The PCs are at 5th and I think I will be lucky to get them to 10th before we switch systems. So high level play isn’t an issue for me. But high level play has never been much of a thing for me in any edition of D&D. I typically prefer levels 1-10 with maybe some play in the early teens. I got to the mid-teens in 4e once.

jrowland

First Post
Just riffing, ymmv:

+0 Flametongue with 20d6 'pool' of bonus damage. Can use up to 2d6 on a hit, depleting the total dice 'pool'. So up to 10 attacks that do 2d6 will deplete the sword. It recharges 2d6 per long rest. Can use use the pool to do a 5' burst of fire damage (dex save for half, dc 13-15 or so) doing 1/2 the dice pool used as dice of damage (6d6 used does 3d6 damage eg).

Fiddly, needs streamlining.

Remove ads