D&D 5E 1 Year later: D&D still strong on amazon

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As we approach the one year anniversary of the release of the 5E PHB, I thought it would be worth following up on my earlier threads* on this.

The PHB, DMG, and MM are still the top 3 games in fantasy gaming. And D&D makes up 5 of the top 6. (That Zelda book is also still there).

Overall sales of the top 3 are:

PHB: #112
DMG: #288
MM: #300

For the PHB still to be that close to 100 one year later is amazing. But don’t discount the other two. Game books rarely get into the top 1000, and for two supplements to be that high that long is unprecedented.

*Please note the first thread was somehow…nuked…but it does have the right title.

ccooke

Adventurer
Not just that, but fully half of the top 20 are D&D books. The Pathfinder core rules are the one item from Paizo in the top 20, but 12th place after six years is its own sort of impressive, too.

TheMadGent

First Post
I can't believe a D&D core book is all the way down at #300 overall. Obviously D&D is on its last leg and clearly going to go bankrupt any day now and definitely be outsourced to the North Koreans.

Uchawi

First Post
Tell me what the metrics are for amazon sales to determine whether there are more units sold, or if the RPG industry overall is declining, but there are still number one games in a sinking ship (declining sales). It is all about context.

darjr

I crit!
Fantasy gaming includes video game books. let that sink in. The other numbers are books overall, which I think means all books.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Tell me what the metrics are for amazon sales to determine whether there are more units sold, or if the RPG industry overall is declining, but there are still number one games in a sinking ship (declining sales). It is all about context.

They are doing well on the overall sales list, in addition to the games list (which, as mentioned, includes video games).

Overall list - as in all books sold, of any kind.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
People clearly like the Zelda book, so someone is buying that! Though as of this morning, it had fallen to 6, leaving 5 D&D in the top 5.

Minecraft books (I know these are popular with the "youth"), warcraft books, a pokemon book. At one point there was a scrabble dictionary that was doing well. Sometimes games also get in there. Sexy truth or dare was popular at one point.

In terms of overall sales...I think the context is that Amazon still sales lots of dead tree books. e books are big, but paper still sales on amazon.

Remove ads