• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(10/28) University Blues: Cabin Fever, Final Chapter

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
A D20 Modern / Dark*Matter Story Hour

Five friends, trapped on a mountain in North Carolina with something old ... something angry. The world is changing, and perhaps old ways aren't the best ways after all.

And coming soon ...

A Dark And Restless Tide
Static in the Key of E

Last edited:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Cabin Fever Pt. 1

"Man I've got to go."

"We can stop."

"No. I'll hold it. The chick at the place said she goes home at six and if we don't have everything signed we're up the creek."

"Dude. It's two-till, we're not going to make it anyway."

"I know. But it's not the major season yet, so to get a cabin booked for a week I'm sure she'll stay an extra ten minutes. Twenty? Thirty? If we stop, I'm sure there'll be a line at the bathroom. Just go."

Matt pressed -att- and everything else drowned as the tide of Metallica came in over the roar of the highway. A few minutes later the first sign for the exit appeared: "102/B Junaluska Assembly/ Maggie Valley".

"Finally." Frank muttered.

"Take a left. It's not far up this road." Scott said over the roar.

Matt drove silently, left hand on the wheel, cigarette in the right. Frank, sitting in the passenger seat, had been forced to endure. He had quit a year before, but the craving never really went away.

"Just ahead, on the left." Scott pointed and they wheeled in.

The rental office looked like an over-sized log cabin, modernized with floor-to-ceiling windows in the front and wrought-iron railings on the stairs. While not quite as nice as the demo office, the rental cabins were still new, spacious, well-appointed homes and a bargin at off-season rates. Scott got out of the Explorer and Matt tried to fiddle the gear-shift into "park" with the free fingers of his cigarette hand. Frank was on Scott's heels and they jogged up the steps and into the side door marked "Cabin Rentals".

Wiley and Penick climbed out to stretch their legs in the parking lot. Penick groaned and rubbed his knees. He'd been stuck in the middle the whole six hours from Auburn.

"I think I feel something below my arm-pits again." he said.

Wiley walked over to the driver's-side window. "Climbing the mountain in this thing will be easy. Coming down is always a problem, though. Off-season they do alot of road work. Frank nearly burned out his brake pads going up and down last time we were here. Before we head up, let's go into town and make sure we have everything we need."

Scott and Frank came out of the rental office a few minutes later. "Y'know, we got the same place we did last time we were here." Scott said.

Everyone piled back into the Explorer and they wheeled toward town. Maggie Valley proper was a smallish city nestled in a valley at the south-western end of the Smokey Mountains. During the summer tourist season, the town's population might reach a few thousand, but early March only the locals were around and many businesses were still closed. They pulled into a Winn-Dixie supermarket, THE supermarket, and got out.

"Alright, we'll need charcoal for the grill, and lighter fluid." Wiley said, walking in.

"And hamburger, uh, buns, hot-dog buns ..." Scott and Penick named off all the food items they would need.

"Two handles of Jack, one of vodka." Frank said, ticking off the liquor they had brought with. "Were we going to get anything else? And we'll need more Coke and OJ than this or we're going to be back down here by tomorrow."

"Flashlights." Matt rumbled.

Everybody turned and looked at him.

"You never know."

Last edited:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Cabin Fever Pt. 2

The mountain was big, and the only road up it a steep series of switchbacks and hairpin turns. It was a fifteen minute drive up the narrow blacktop to the cabins. The base and gentle beginning slopes were rather heavily populated, like an urban subdivision, but five minutes up and the driveways all but disappeared. If it weren’t for the occasional truck or SUV they had to squeeze past, it would be easy to think they were alone on the mountain. The rental agency owned the summit of the mountain, and eventually they came to an electronic gate. It stood in front of them on the forty-degree slope, vertical and slightly comical. On one side of the gate was a near-vertical drop of fifty feet or more, on the other the wall of the mountainside. Behind the gate the road twisted out of view, and behind the Explorer the mountain hid behind itself.

“Abandon all hope, yada yada, etcetera etcetera.” Frank said.

Brickell leaned out the window and punched the passcode written on one of the cabin key-rings into an arm-mounted pad. The gate shook slightly and opened outward, ABOVE them.

“That always looks so weird.”

Their cabin lay a little further up the road, off a gravel side lane. The lane split in three, one path leading up, another down, and the last disappearing around a bend in the slope. The boys’ cabin lay on the downward path, easily visible from the lane. It was a jumbled affair with a single main story and a 3/4 loft and partial basement with garage underneath. The path led into the garage while the rest of the house continued out into nothingness, supported on a series of sturdy timbers and cross-beams. The exterior of the cabin was mostly logs, with the garage portion sided in dark wood planks. Brickell pulled up to the garage door and turned off the car. Everyone piled out and Scott went to unlock the garage while Brickell opened the back hatch. They took the bags in first, carrying them up the wooden stairs at the side of the house ten, fifteen feet to the wide front porch and the front (and only) door.

Scott let them in and Frank immediately moved forward and right, remembering the master suite and its king-sized bed and private bath. “Dibs!”

The interior was furnished in what could be called Quaint Yuppie Rustic, with sawn-log tables so thickly lacquered and varnished the wood seemed to be trapped in a museum case. “Antique” tea-kettles and frying pans lined the top of the kitchen cabinets. Everything that might look “rustic” made out of logs WAS made out of logs: bed frames, end tables, footstools, and balustrades. Near the front door an old, and original-looking, desk stood in front of the windows. On it was a serviceable office phone with speed dials labeled for the office, fire department, police, and two office personnel’s home phone numbers; in case of emergency. Next to the phone was a leather-bound journal marked “Guest Log”. Wiley flipped it open and paged through. There, a few pages back, was the log entry from their previous visit. Surprisingly, few entries after their first, most of those dated during the two tourist seasons that had followed. It was a homey feel, to see the passing of guests before and after them. He would have to get Frank to help compose a group entry for this visit. But first the rest of the car needed to be unpacked.

They couldn’t see the cabin around the bend where an old Dodge Ram sat with its drivers-side door open. Leaves littered the vinyl bench seat, piling in the corner by the passenger door. The overhead light was dim, the battery almost out, and in the back a few old soft-side suitcases were still wet from a rainstorm three days earlier. Behind their cabin, up the slope, half-screened by trees was another cabin. As Penick lifted both bags of charcoal from the back he heard children playing and when he turned he could see a minivan parked on the upper path. Idly he hoped the kids wouldn’t ruin the quiet relaxation of his vacation.

Farther up the mountain road the front door of a cabin home hung sickly from one hinge. Charles and Paige Vint had visited Maggie Valley the year before, rented a cabin, and fell in love. They had bought a property a few months later in the sparse “gated community”. They had only moved in three months ago, and so nobody in the area really knew them ... and so nobody noticed when they stopped coming down the mountain.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Cabin Fever Pt. 3

“Did you hear that?” Frank asked.

Wiley looked up from his cards.

”I did.”

The five sat around the dining room table in the L-crook of the greatroom.

”Hear what?”

Scott turned and looked out one of the back windows.

”Probably a cat or a badger or a ‘mountain critter’ of some sort.” He said.

“No, something bumped against the house. It would have to be bigger than that.” Frank said and looked out another window. Nothing but the reflection of the interior lights.

“There. I heard it again.”

The lights went out. Everyone froze in that moment of terror that comes when you can’t see what was just there a moment before.

”Sh**”

Click. Light bloomed across the table.

”Told you.” Brickel said.

”The wiring in places like this is always bad.” Penick said, groping toward the kitchen counter and the four-pack of Eveready flashlights.

“Right. This place is maybe ten years old. It’s a clear night. I heard a noise, the lights went out. Franky-no-likey.”

”Maybe that was a fuse blowing?” Penick said and passed the pack down. Scott and Wiley took the last two of the plastic flashlights. Frank moved to the fireplace and pulled the poker with a soft-ringing hiss.

”Yea, uh huh.”

Wiley made his way across the great-room to the table with the phone. Frank moved from the fireplace toward the couch and his backpack.

“Don’t tell me it’s dead, damnit.” He said.

Wiley looked up from the phone, receiver in hand. “No phone.” He said, quietly.

“Okay, so somebody is out there.” Scott whispered.

”And if they cut the juice and the phone …” Penick said.

Scott moved toward the kitchen and the butcher’s block. Wiley leaned down by the door and picked up the unused bottle of lighter fluid that stood by the bags of charcoal. Frank came up from his bag holding a large rectangular flashlight.

Outside, the porch steps squeaked. Everyone clutched their make-shift weapons tightly, their fear suddenly confirmed.

”We need to …” Brickel began, pointed meaningfully at the floor, then pantomimed pulling the slide back on his Glock.

”Move.” Frank hissed.

-Something- moved across the front porch, visible mostly as a darkening against the windows. They all moved toward the basement door, quickly but stealthily. Brickel opened the door and started down the stairs with Penick hard behind. The steps were wooden, lumber-yard plank, and rattled as they stormed down for the car. Inside, Wiley winced: Whatever was out there HAD to hear that.

It did.

The front door gave way with a crash and a scream of metal. Frank turned, drawn to look by the sound. The deadbolt and door-pin were sheared through like broken icicles, one hinge knocked half- from the wall, and a split like a fault ran down the center of the heavy oak. He bellowed in fear, surprise, and defiance, raising his poker and stumbling backward toward the steps. The powerful beam of his flashlight played drunkenly across the doorway, but he was the only one to see. The intruder shouldered its way through the broken doorway and roared. Of a sudden Frank’s bellow turned into a scream.

Already downstairs, Brickel ran toward the Explorer. He fumbled in his pocket for his keys and the unlock button on the keyfob. Wiley ran to place the water-heater between himself and the steps. Upstairs, Frank screamed again, a wrenching, sickening cry. Everyone’s stomachs tightened. What could make the largest and strongest of them make that sound? At six-foot-eight and 350lbs, Frank was as large as many pro football players. Mercifully the lights came on in the SUV and the locks clicked open. Brickel wrenched open the driver’s-side door and groped his handgun blindly out from under the seat. Penick ran to the back hatch of the Explorer. He was still unarmed, but he had the swords he’d bought somewhere in the back. They weren’t great, but they were sharp and steel and had to be better than nothing.

On the stairs they heard pounding, a short yell, and a clatter. Frank tumbled down and spilled out onto the concrete floor. His black t-shirt was dark with wetness and he fell wrongly, like something broken. Brickel chambered a round in the Glock and crouched with the gun braced on the hood. Frank turned his head weakly on the floor, searching. One lens of his glasses was gone, the black frame twisted, his face running with blood. Frantically he clawed at the floor, pushing with one leg and pulling with his fingers toward the lights. In the silence of the moment, everyone could hear him whispering “Oh God please, Oh God please” and the wet scrape of his passing. Behind him a wide streak of crimson glistened in the glare of his fallen flashlight.

Last edited:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Cabin Fever Pt. 4

"Don't let it come down the stairs." Brickel thought, his hands sweating around gun and flashlight. "You don't want to come down here, man. I mean it!" He yelled.

Scott edged forward and started to help Frank back to the car. The larger man didn't look good; one leg looked broken, and up close Scott could see rents down his chest and stomach. There was a long gash on his scalp that ran down his forehead and opened one cheek. Frank looked like he'd lost a knife fight, or had been mauled by a bear. Above came the creaking of someone on the stairs; slow, purposeful, and heavy. Wiley pressed himself farther against the wall and pulled his Zippo from his pocket, turning off his flashlight. The thing on the stairs continued down, unafraid ... like something hunting. Brickel shifted his weight and got ready to fire. Whatever it was stopped on the last step, just out of sight, but he could see it was huge. It had taken the steps so slowly because it could barely fit in the stairwell.

Finally it stooped and began to shoulder into the room, and Brickel fired. In the muzzle flash, everyone could see the creature detailed in stark light and shadow. Later, no one could decide what had been more frightening, how human the thing had looked, or how obviously inhuman it had to be. Dark eyes gleamed from beneath a Neanderthalish brow-ridge, its face planes and sharp angles. Two dark braids of hair hung on either side of its head, draped over hunched shoulders like a gorilla's, and it's arms stretched long and strong, with great hooked claws at the fingers. It seemed to be wearing clothes, the shredded remains of blue jeans and a few tatters of a shirt along the collar and part of the chest and one arm. It roared in the after-black, surprised and hurt. It withdrew into the stairwell.

"Help me get him in the car." Scott hissed and Penick moved from where he had crouched, frozen, by the rear of the Explorer. As he edged forward, Scott could see the shadowy glint of a sword in his hand. They put their weapons down and Penick opened the back door. Together they heaved their friend into the vehicle. On the stairs, the thing began to creep back toward the upper storey.

"We've got to get out of here." Wiley said.

Brickel stood, indecisive. He didn't want to lower the gun, but the keys were in his pocket. The creature seemed intent on leaving, however, and in a few seconds would be outside. "Get in." He said, and clawed the keys out of his pocket. Wiley lept into the passenger seat and Scott and Penick crawled in over Frank's bloodied body. Matt handed the gun to Wiley and started the car. With almost casual ease he rolled forward a few feet, then slammed it into reverse and floored the gas. The Explorer surged backward in a squeal of tires into the garage door, and through it. The back hatch glass burst with a report and the fiberglass door panels cracked and fell away as they shouldered the metal supports aside.

As they scraped into the gravel drive, Wiley saw the thing on the front porch of the cabin. It vaulted the railing like an athelete, dropping easily to the ground ten feet below. Wiley scrambled to point the gun its way, but it bounded for the trees along the lane, loping with the wide-swinging gate of a Sasquatch. Brickel turned the car, braked, and shifted into drive ... but didn't move forward. He'd seen it too, and the trees put it between them and the road down the mountain. As it ran past he'd seen it upright, and realized it had to be eight or nine feet tall and heavy with muscle. He had a sudden vision of the thing barreling from the trees and rushing the side of the Explorer like a linebacker, flipping them effortlessly over the side of the road and down, down the mountain.

In the darkness they heard a crack like a mortar round ... a tree breaking in the forest.

"How much you want to bet there's a convieniently-felled tree now blocking the only road out of here?" Penick asked.

Brickel punched the steering whee hard once, twice. Whatever it was, the thing was smart.

Indigo Veil

First Post
Hey there. Because you haven't mentioned the existence of an OOC thread located elsewhere, I'm going to assume it's okay to post comments here, on this thread.

I'm really liking the look of this so far, and I hope you continue to post updates often. ^_^ I rather enjoy modern stuff, and I hope that SHs like yours, Jonrog's, and KitanaVorr's will encourage others to leave behind the more trite fantasy structure in favor of more modern settings.

Good job. ^_^

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Nah, feel free to post inside the thread.

The inspiration left for a while when I realized how bad and rusty I've gotten with the pen, but I'll get back to write-ups soon.

Thanks for the kind words.

--fje

Cinerarium

First Post
Hey Heap!

Great idea for a d20 modern! I've toyed in the past with running stuff set in my old home town or where I went to college -- so many good locations, easy to describe settings and set the mood.

I've got a couple of friends in the part of NC you're writing about right now, rafting.

At any rate, post more! It's good so far.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Cabin Fever, Pt. 5

"The other cabin!" Scott pointed. The cabin behind heirs still had power, that much was obvious from the glow in its windows. Perhaps it had phones, as well.

Brickel punched the accellerator and the Explorer nosed forward, spraying gravel into the trees behind them. The SUV bounced up the path and over the lane to the other drive in less than a second. The front door of the cabin opened and a man stuck his head outside. He sheilded his face as the Explorer's headlights blinded him, and then the truck pulled up along the wide porch steps. The porch of this cabin was only a few feet off the ground, and would offer more room to maneuver. Wiley opened his door, closest to the porch, and scrambled up the steps.

"Emergency, we need your phone." He said and turned to cover the woods with the gun. Brickel clambered out the open passenger door and helped Penick open the back one. Together with Scott they wrestled the unconcious Frank out of the car and carried him up the steps with surprising strength. Wiley, backstepping, followed.

"Where's the phone?" Scott panted, looking around.

"Get your family, bring them to this room. If you have a gun, bring it too." Wiley said, backing away from the front door.

Penick bent over Frank, trying to gauge the extent of his wounds, stop the bleeding, anything.

"Damn. I've never said this before, but Frank needs to eat a few more salads. He weighs a TON."

The original occupant of the cabin was still standing by the door, trying to handle the situation. "What's going ON?" He hissed. "Are you robbing me or ... ?"

"There's a psycho out there. He cut our phone, our power, and broke in. He stabbed our friend pretty bad. We chased him off but he's armed and still out there, and he blocked the road down. We need to call the police before he cuts this line too. We need to all be together, so get your family before HE gets them. I don't doubt he'd break in through a window to try and get to us all." Penick said, looking up from Frank. "If you have a rifle, get that, but just MOVE. This guy is nuts."

Dr. Jerri Thaves punched the code on the note into the keypad. The gate in front of her car swung open silently, ABOVE her. "Mildly disturbing gate." she thought, and began to pull forward.

She had found the note in her faculty mail box that evening. It had been sitting there for almost two weeks, but she had been in the field performing research and her first day back had been spent grading papers. It wasn't until she was walking out the door that she had thought to check her mail and found Joshua's note:

Jer,

I think I've finally gotten these things figured out.

I wasn't WRONG, all these years, my timing was just off. The things ARE alive ... they're just ... asleep. Hibernating. I don't mean that they're Alive-alive, but that they're still functional. With all the heightened activity we've been documenting the last few months, I think they're starting to 'wake up' a little.

I haven't been asking the wrong questions, they've just been too far gone to answer. I got a few strange readings the last battery I ran, but I don't think EKGs and spectranalysis is the answer, here. I need to go back to the begining. Maybe old ways ARE the best ways.

I can't really expect the ancestors to speak to me in brainwave pattern recognition software, can I? I'm going somewhere that I can dance and burn the herbs without getting flack from the rest of the faculty.

I should be back Sunday evening. If you decide not to go to your dig site, come up. I think they'll talk to you. I'll be staying in Maggie Valley ...

The rest was address ... a rental cabin in the mountains. Privacy enough for vision questing. But it was Friday, almost a week after Joshua had said he would be back. No one had seen him for almost two weeks. No one on campus was worried; Dr. Joshua Tehnoah was often off doing research for weeks at a time, and he had no teaching load this semester. He wouldn't, however, leave Jerri a note and not call or write if he were going to be delayed almost a week.

Artifacts are dangerous and unpredictable things. Old relics, cast aside, forgotten and unused. Heritage, history. Dr. Jerri Thaves knows this. She is half Seminole, with her own heritage and traditions. She is a professor and researcher at Weygandt-Ellis University's North Carolina campus. She knows the danger of forgotten knowledge through experience. Years ago, perhaps, there would not have been much danger in these relics for a trained parahistoricist like Joshua. But things have been awakening all over, and perhaps these days old ways aren't best ways after all.

And when she reaches the fallen tree in the road, she knows something is not right. The lines in the bark look like claw marks, in her headlights. Dr. Thaves knows they probably are.

Peter Kincaid looked out the window at the city below. Old Susan wasn't usually wrong. She was never, perhaps, as clear as Young Susan or Marty, but her accuracy was top notch. "Something" would be awakening in the Smokey Mountains. Something dangerous, something old. Marty and Young Susan saw it too. Unfortunately too clearly, too closely. Young men, one wounded, children, perhaps a family, a church group? An old Dodge Ram, luggage, a broken door, a fire-poker. A few minutes ago, Old Susan had attempted freewriting, but the only things that made any sense were the words "John Whitemankiller". A name? African or Native American. Perhaps a name for a spirit conjured up during the slave days, but the Library hadn't turned up anything on it.

On the roof a helicopter sat, fueled and ready. In a mess room a floor below it a small strike team was assembled, men in black BDUs and tac vests, small arms at hand, and a few black metal-cased government laptop computers. And there they sat. Waiting.

Old Susan was never wrong. Department Seven was ready, but there was nowhere to go. And so they waited. For something.

Floors below, three people sit in a room. A man, a woman, and a crone. The man sits with his fingers at his temples. His head pounds, he mumbles without knowing he does so ... and nothing comes. The younger woman paces. She is worn out, her visions will not come, she has done all she can, but it is not enough. And the crone ... she sits quietly, her eyes closed, her head tilted back. She could be sleeping, she MAY be sleeping, but not truly.

"He shall lie." She says, clearly, loudly for the others to hear. "The truth will bring no help. He will say they face a man, and that this man has a ..."

"... machine gun. Yes, a machine gun." Scott said. The phone worked, 911 had answered. "I saw it. And he has a knife. This guy is a real psycho. He's got some kind of body armor, too. My friend has a gun, and we shot him, but he just ran off into the woods. I know he's still out there, we heard him chopping down a tree in the woods. The road is probably blocked coming up. You really have to hurry, my friend's hurt bad, he might be dying."

The voice on the phone told him to stay calm. The voice on the phone was, herself, calm. Help was on the way, he should stay on the line.

"I will, but he's OUT there. We're calling from another cabin, he cut the phone and power to our cabin before he attacked us. We scared him off, but he's blocking us in ..."

The lights went off, and the children screamed.

"... oh God, he's h..." The phone went dead.

"We've got a 911 out of Maggie Valley, North Carolina. Some people stuck on a mountain. They say they've got a psycho with a machine gun and an axe. He's stabbed one person." The dispatcher said. Peter Kincaid turned from the window. Susan Crane, "Young Susan", stood in the doorway to his left. She had just delivered Old Susan's latest vision.

"That's the one. Get me GPS, send it to the chopper." Peter Kincaid said. Agent Kincaid.

He grabbed his coat and ran for the elevator.

Last edited:

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Heap, this is great stuff. You had me rivited. I love how you described the attack, the monster, and the movement of your wounded friend. I like the whole Department 7 and the "Seers". All very cool.

I don't know how I missed this one but I'm hooked. Post and soon!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads