• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(10/28) University Blues: Cabin Fever, Final Chapter

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Well, just wanted to give an update on updates.

I'm currently doing a write up, should be done in the next few days. Been pretty swamped here. Got sucked into the local game club when the Open Game Day GM decided not to show. I ran an off-the-cuff from a Wizard's Cliffhanger adventure and then joined a game run by one of my players (his first time GMing). Now I've promised to complete the game I started Saturday and start a campaign from there.

... I HAD a D20Modern/Call of Cthulhu campaign written up, but everybody around here is still hungry for D&D. So I'm sort of stuck trying to write a campaign from a winger one-shot.

Anyway, back to writing.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Sorry, sorry. :)

I'm teaching, taking classes, and writing a web comic.

Getting sucked into the game club around here went nutz. I ended up running 3 games one week, and playing in another. Talk about burn out.

A few days turned into ten on this update. Bleh.

--fje

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Cabin Fever Pt. 8

“Yes, I'm sure.”

“But what if we need the gun?” Brickel asked.

“Shut up, Brickel.” Wiley said.

“Well if me shooting it doesn't work, what would you shooting it do?” Frank asked quietly as they gathered close to the door. Wiley handed him the gun.

“Alright. On three. One...” Pennick grabbed the doorknob.

“Two...”

“Three!” Everyone pushed and moved as one, rushing out the door into the night. It felt like walking out of the shade into daylight, moving from the darkness of the house to the light of the clear night sky.

As a group they ran for the small tree line dividing Lot One and Lot Three. Frank loped along painfully for several seconds, panting from the strain of standing up, gasping from the pain and light-headedness as he tried to run. Somewhere, behind them, a thump announced the creature's dismount from the house. Stumbling obviously, and not faking too much, Frank fell back from the group and went to one knee, coughing and rhasping. The others didn't, couldn't, spare a look back and thundered ahead, plunging into the tree line.

Perhaps the creature was smarter than they had thought, but it didn't close with Frank immediately. The others pushed through the trees, panicked, wondering. It moved so fast, and perhaps Frank had passed out without firing at it. Perhaps it saw through the ruse and was coming after them and ignoring the poisoned bait. They had already broken through the tree line and into Lot Three when they heard the gun. ThurACK-ack, ThurACK-ack. Twice, echoing in the mountain air. ThurACK-ack ... and no more.

Frank had done it. Either the thing was dead or it had stopped to finish off their friend. Either way, they'd been given the time to reach the other cabin. The friends skirted the pickup truck in the drive and pounded up the steps, herding the family in front of them. The door was slightly ajar already and they exploded inside.

Quiet.

Jerri moved around the main room of the cabin, looking.

“Spread out, look around. We're looking for wooden totem statues.”

“There's two on the kitchen table.” Pennick said.

Jerri moved over to the kitchen table. Leaves, sticks, and dirt had collected on the table, around the statues. Too much detritus, really. A few leaves had blown in the slightly open front door, but the rest of the cabin seemed more or less clean.

“There's only two.” She said.

“Something on the floor.” Wiley said, bending and looking under the table.

Jerri crouched down, brushing at the leaves on the floor with her fingertips. Small chunks of wood littered a small area under the collection of leaves.

“Here.” She said, and brushed away a small clump of leaves that seemed to have purposefully gathered on top of another statue, a much smaller statue not made of wood. Wiley crouched down next to her.

“It's not wood.” He said.

“No, it isn't. I think it's bone.” She said, brushing some wood chips away from it.

“Do you recognize it?” Wiley asked.

Jerri sat back on her haunches. “Wendigo ...” she whispered.

“Anybody hear that?” Pennick asked. He looked around. “It's like the biggest hummingbird on the planet is flapping in slow motion in my brain.”

Brickel moved into the kitchen and began going through drawers. “Well screw that, it's not getting in my head.” He stopped at one drawer and lifted out a heavy meat tenderizer. “Let's smash the thing.”

“How do we know that'll do anything?” Pennick asked.

“Because it always works in the movies. There's always a gem or something. Like Conan The Destroyer, the monster and the mirrors. Conan had to smash the mirrors to kill it.” Brickel said.

“Does this look like a Conan movie?” Wiley asked.

The hummingbird sound began to intensify, and the others began to hear it.

“Quick.” He tossed the hammer to Wiley...

ledded

Herder of monkies
*eyes wide, gripping the edge of his seat, muscles tense; mouthfull of popcorn, forgotten, falls belligerently to land unattended on shirt and lap*

iwatt

First Post
Heap, did you kill yourself....? Or are you coming back as an undead devil wendigo whatchamacallit. :D

Now seriously, this is a great story, keep it up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads