• NOW LIVE! -- One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition on Kickstarter! A booklet of colourful one-page adventures for D&D 5th Edition ranging from levels 1-9 and designed for a single session of play.
log in or register to remove this ad

 

10th-level Commoners do exist!


log in or register to remove this ad

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I guess I'm not all that in touch with my spiritual side because if God told me to drop the machete and pull out the leopard's tongue with my bare hands, I think I'd say, "I appreciate the advice and all, Lord, but I think I'll just take my chances with the machete."
 



JohnSnow

Adventurer
snarfoogle said:
Hmmm... A leopard has 19 HP... critical hit with an unarmed strike... say 4 on damage, 4x2 = 8 damage... I declare hacks.

Well, let's see...

A 10th level human commoner. That's 5 feats to burn. Figuring he took the feat "Power Attack" when he was younger and has a strength of 13, he can power attack for 5 points (BAB for a Level 10 commoner). From the description, he probably also has Improved Unarmed Strike. If he's higher than Level 10 he can power attack for more damage, but let's just run with this.

So...critical hit with an unarmed strike...say 4 on damage, +1 for Str 13 +5 for power attack = 10 x 2 = 20 points of damage = dead leopard.

Makes sense to me ;)

Besides, by 10th level he's got some hit points (25+) to burn...and the article did say he was mauled...

So he attacked it unarmed, provoked an AoO, got mauled, and attacked it again until he reduced it to 0 hp. The rules cover this perfectly!

And people say D&D's not realistic...;)
 
Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
JohnSnow said:
Well, let's see...

A 10th level human commoner. That's 5 feats to burn. Figuring he took the feat "Power Attack" when he was younger and has a strength of 13,
At that age a D&D character has, what, a -6 penalty to Str? So he'd need to have started with 17 and raised it twice (or 18/raised it once).

Hm. OTOH, penalty's possibly just -3 (i.e., Old rather than Venerable) in (t)his day and age - Venerable starts at 70 even in D&D, after all. Maybe it should start at 75 or so if you're playing in the early 21st century.
 
Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
nharwell's article said:
NAIROBI (Reuters) - A 73-year-old Kenyan grandfather reached into the mouth of an attacking leopard and tore out its tongue to kill it, authorities said Wednesday.

Peasant farmer Daniel M'Mburugu was tending to his potato and bean crops in a rural area near Mount Kenya when the leopard charged out of the long grass and leapt on him.

M'Mburugu had a machete in one hand but dropped that to thrust his fist down the leopard's mouth. He gradually managed to pull out the animal's tongue, leaving it in its death-throes.

Oh, please. This guy was clearly a min/maxer. And did you read the rest of the article?

M'Mburugu was toasted as a hero in his village Kihato after the incident earlier this month. He was also given free hospital treatment by astonished local authorities.

Total Monty Haul DM. Feh.
 

Venport

First Post
Funny

This is funnny i sent it to all of my players (-1 one dose not have an e-mail adress HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE E-MAIL in this day and age anyway....) Telling them that they should be weary of a commoner even if he is old
 

I once played in a game in which the BBEG came to ravage the village we were in. We fought them, with mixed results. One of the villagers, a 0th level elderly woman, kept rolling critical hits and wiping out the bad guys.
 

Venport said:
HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE E-MAIL in this day and age anyway....)
Surprisingly easy. I've got friends I game with who don't have e-mail, by choice or neglect (i.e. they get an account, then never check it), or people who just hate computers and want to have nothing to do with them (like my mom), or people who are so utterly computer illiterate that they marvel at how they must be able to "shrink dem tubes down real small-like" in my laptop like my grandmother.

By this point, everybody who wants an e-mail account can have one, but lots of people just don't care, don't want one, hate computers, or have an overall view of the world (technology and communications included) which hasn't updated in decades.
 

silentspace

First Post
Rel said:
I guess I'm not all that in touch with my spiritual side because if God told me to drop the machete and pull out the leopard's tongue with my bare hands, I think I'd say, "I appreciate the advice and all, Lord, but I think I'll just take my chances with the machete."

lol! you notice it was actually killed by a machete too :D
 

Vigilance

Explorer
wingsandsword said:
Surprisingly easy. I've got friends I game with who don't have e-mail, by choice or neglect (i.e. they get an account, then never check it), or people who just hate computers and want to have nothing to do with them (like my mom), or people who are so utterly computer illiterate that they marvel at how they must be able to "shrink dem tubes down real small-like" in my laptop like my grandmother.

By this point, everybody who wants an e-mail account can have one, but lots of people just don't care, don't want one, hate computers, or have an overall view of the world (technology and communications included) which hasn't updated in decades.

DAMN LUDDITES!!!
 

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Venport said:
This is funnny i sent it to all of my players (-1 one dose not have an e-mail adress HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE E-MAIL in this day and age anyway....) Telling them that they should be weary of a commoner even if he is old
I get along with out a cell phone just fine so it's probably pretty easy to go with out email (which I hardly ever use anyway).

Thats one crazy old guy that I hope I never piss off.
 

Mad Mac

First Post
You know, as someone who's owned a lot of cats, I'm suddenly struck by the brilliance of what this old guy did. (Or if you prefer, spiritual inspiration) When I'm play wrestling with a housecat, and it gets to biting to hard, I just a stick a finger in it's mouth, and the kitty can't do a thing.

Why? You'll notice that cats have them big honking fangs for slicing, but if you stick something directly between them, (in this case, sticking your hand straight down it's throat) they don't really have anything much to chomp down on you with. Killing it by ripping it's tongue out, now, that's something else...but I suppose it's the logical next step if you find yourself being mauled by a leopard with your hand in it's mouth.
 

It's in the modern day, so I say use D20 Modern. He had a decent starting Strength (you only get -3 Strength at really old age in Modern), Melee Smash, and Combat Martial Arts. He got a critical hit and forced a save vs massive damage. (He can't use Melee Smash if he isn't a hero, of course. I think he was a hero with the Faith talent, however.)

In DnD terms, he might be an expert. I mean, really, experts make really good farmers... or a mid-level barbarian. A 10th-level NPC gets a lot of magical gear (that's why I like low magic, so you can avoid such silliness), including an amulet of mighty fists. The article didn't say what kind of loot you could get off of him (if you want said loot, I suggest hiring some archers...).
 




JimAde

First Post
silentspace said:
lol! you notice it was actually killed by a machete too :D

Bah. The thing was at negative HP and obviously wasn't stabilizing. That other guy was just trying to poach the XP. :)
 

fanboy2000

First Post
JohnSnow said:
And people say D&D's not realistic...;)
I've found that reality isn't as realistic as people think it is. ;)

I just had a thought: what if the people who wish for more realism in D&D are really just asking for a more intuitive game? If that's true, then the flaw in their thinking is assuming that reality is intuitive.
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top