10th-level Commoners do exist!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I guess I'm not all that in touch with my spiritual side because if God told me to drop the machete and pull out the leopard's tongue with my bare hands, I think I'd say, "I appreciate the advice and all, Lord, but I think I'll just take my chances with the machete."

JohnSnow

Hero
snarfoogle said:
Hmmm... A leopard has 19 HP... critical hit with an unarmed strike... say 4 on damage, 4x2 = 8 damage... I declare hacks.

Well, let's see...

A 10th level human commoner. That's 5 feats to burn. Figuring he took the feat "Power Attack" when he was younger and has a strength of 13, he can power attack for 5 points (BAB for a Level 10 commoner). From the description, he probably also has Improved Unarmed Strike. If he's higher than Level 10 he can power attack for more damage, but let's just run with this.

So...critical hit with an unarmed strike...say 4 on damage, +1 for Str 13 +5 for power attack = 10 x 2 = 20 points of damage = dead leopard.

Makes sense to me ;)

Besides, by 10th level he's got some hit points (25+) to burn...and the article did say he was mauled...

So he attacked it unarmed, provoked an AoO, got mauled, and attacked it again until he reduced it to 0 hp. The rules cover this perfectly!

And people say D&D's not realistic...;)

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
JohnSnow said:
Well, let's see...

A 10th level human commoner. That's 5 feats to burn. Figuring he took the feat "Power Attack" when he was younger and has a strength of 13,
At that age a D&D character has, what, a -6 penalty to Str? So he'd need to have started with 17 and raised it twice (or 18/raised it once).

Hm. OTOH, penalty's possibly just -3 (i.e., Old rather than Venerable) in (t)his day and age - Venerable starts at 70 even in D&D, after all. Maybe it should start at 75 or so if you're playing in the early 21st century.

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
nharwell's article said:
NAIROBI (Reuters) - A 73-year-old Kenyan grandfather reached into the mouth of an attacking leopard and tore out its tongue to kill it, authorities said Wednesday.

Peasant farmer Daniel M'Mburugu was tending to his potato and bean crops in a rural area near Mount Kenya when the leopard charged out of the long grass and leapt on him.

M'Mburugu had a machete in one hand but dropped that to thrust his fist down the leopard's mouth. He gradually managed to pull out the animal's tongue, leaving it in its death-throes.

Oh, please. This guy was clearly a min/maxer. And did you read the rest of the article?

M'Mburugu was toasted as a hero in his village Kihato after the incident earlier this month. He was also given free hospital treatment by astonished local authorities.

Total Monty Haul DM. Feh.

Venport

First Post
Funny

This is funnny i sent it to all of my players (-1 one dose not have an e-mail adress HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE E-MAIL in this day and age anyway....) Telling them that they should be weary of a commoner even if he is old

I once played in a game in which the BBEG came to ravage the village we were in. We fought them, with mixed results. One of the villagers, a 0th level elderly woman, kept rolling critical hits and wiping out the bad guys.

Venport said:
HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE E-MAIL in this day and age anyway....)
Surprisingly easy. I've got friends I game with who don't have e-mail, by choice or neglect (i.e. they get an account, then never check it), or people who just hate computers and want to have nothing to do with them (like my mom), or people who are so utterly computer illiterate that they marvel at how they must be able to "shrink dem tubes down real small-like" in my laptop like my grandmother.

By this point, everybody who wants an e-mail account can have one, but lots of people just don't care, don't want one, hate computers, or have an overall view of the world (technology and communications included) which hasn't updated in decades.

Remove ads