• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10th Level Hunter of the Dead, Enervation & Energy Drain

Esiminar

Explorer
References

<From Defenders of the Faith>
Sealed Life (Su): Upon reaching 10th level, a hunter of the dead cannot lose levels due to energy draining effects (although death still results in level loss, as do other level- or experience draining penalties).

<From the SRD>
Enervation
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Ray of negative energy
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
The character must make a ranged touch attack to hit. If the attack succeeds, the subject gains 1d4 negative levels.
If the ray strikes an undead creature, it gives that creature 5 temporary hit points per two caster levels (maximum 25 temporary hit points) for 1 hour.

Energy Drain
Necromancy
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray of negative energy
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes
The character must make a ranged touch attack to hit. If the attack succeeds, the subject gains 2d4 negative levels.
If the ray strikes an undead creature, that creature gains 2d4 x5 temporary hit points for 1 hour.

<From the Players Handbook>
Regarding Enervation: “…a black bolt of crackling negative energy that suppresses the life force of any living creature it strikes. …he regains lost levels after a number of hours equal to your caster level. Usually negative levels have a chance of permanently draining the subject’s levels, but the negative levels from enervation don’t last long enough to do so.”

Regarding Energy Drain: “As enervation, except the creature struck gains 2d4 negative levels, and the negative levels last longer.” Paraphrasing “The negative levels may become permanent.”
My first impression was that the sealed life ability would negate the effects of enervation, but I then noticed the reference to suppressing life force as opposed to draining it and decided that sealed life would not be an effective ward against enervation.

I then turned my attention to energy drain and despite the description in the PHB listing it “as enervation” I concluded that due to it actually draining life force (as opposed to just suppressing it) from the target, as evidenced by the possibility of the negative levels becoming permanent, and in part due to its name, that whilst not pertinent to enervation sealed life did indeed ward against energy drain.

What are your opinions?

Last edited:

IanB

First Post
I'd just let them be immune to all negative levels, no matter the source. Simpler that way, and it isn't like it is an overwhelmingly powerful ability in the first place.

Murrdox

First Post
I would agree.

I'd simply say that any "negative energy" effect which drains anything qualifies as an "energy drain" attack.

There might be exceptions that I can't think of right now... but that's my initial thinking.

Chris Coulter

First Post
Esiminar said:

My first impression was that the sealed life ability would negate the effects of enervation, but I then noticed the reference to suppressing life force as opposed to draining it and decided that sealed life would not be an effective ward against enervation.

The effects of enervation are instantanious in durration, but suppression implies a period of lowered life force followed by a return to normal after a length of time. As this is not the case, I would consider the "suppressing" effect to be colorful descriptive text and rule Sealed Life to be fully effective against it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
No they aren't. :)

Gaining a negative level can be temporary. It can affect you for some time by picking up a cursed sword, or just for a few minutes if hit by certain spells. Each negative level gives you penalties. -1 per neg lvl + lost spells.

Losing a level is a permanent thing, and a lot more serious. It may happen (if you fail your fortitude save) after 24 hours of negative levels.

Chris Coulter

First Post
So the Hunter would suffer the effects of the negetive levels (-1 to hit, spell loss etc. ) but wouldn't be subject to the actual level loss due to failure on the fort save?

Creeperman

First Post
I'm not sure I like that ruling. Keep in mind that if you ever have negative levels equal to your total hit dice, you die automatically. That interpretation means that a 10th level Hunter of the Dead could still be Enervated or Energy Drained to death, despite his supposed immunity to such effects via Sealed Life.

Given that Sealed Life is supposed to be the penultimate tenth-level ability of the class, it seems wrong to nerf it so. I'd say it grants total immunity to all negative levels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads