• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

13 True Ways and 13th Age Bestiary releases incoming!

Dungeoneer

First Post
Great post, Dungeoneer. Eagerly awaiting for the complete review.

Thanks!

I just read (well, skimmed) the chapter on Multiclassing and boy is it a doozy. 13A multiclassing will not be for the faint of heart.

The really, really short version is that you take any two classes and mash them together. You have to use class-specific abilities with class-specific powers. Sadly, this means you cannot be in a Barbarian rage while using the Fighter's flexible attacks. You also lag a level behind on spell-lists and the like. Oh and you pick two talents from one class and one from the other.

Yes, it is in fact dual classing, you can't really take three classes.

The rules are fiddly and the restrictions are many! I doubt anyone is going to be MC'ing their way to Pun Pun here. That said, Cleric healing is pretty easy to pick up and will be a good fit for a lot of classes.

Personally the only rules I've ever played where MC'ing seemed appealing was 3.x, mostly because it was so gosh-darned overpowered. That's not the case here, and I'll be sticking to single class characters for the time being.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Looking through the PDF I don't see Icon stats... am I just missing it? I'm pretty sure they said that the Icons would be statted up in this book....

Dungeoneer

First Post
Looking through the PDF I don't see Icon stats... am I just missing it? I'm pretty sure they said that the Icons would be statted up in this book....

I saw someone else mention elsewhere it is not in, I guess it was cut? I can't see it either

That's a pity! I do remember hearing about that at one point and I was curious as to what they would do with that.

At any rate I've finished Chapter 3, Cities and Courts. One of my complaints about the core book was that I didn't completely love the Dragon Empire, because it felt too unfinished. This chapter addressed many of those complaints by giving close-ups of some of the game's major cities: Axis, Drakkenhall, Horizon, Santa Cora and the Court of Stars.

There is some really terrific art in Chapter 3. I can't wait to get my hands on the hardback to properly take it in.

This chapter differs from settings chapters in other books because pretty much everything is optional. Very few things are stated as fact. Instead possibilities and scenarios are presented, often contradictory. Even the nature of an entire city is optional. The writers propose a couple of different spins you could put on places like Axis and Santa Cora.

Drakkenhall is probably the most interesting location detailed. It's a city of monsters and it is ruled by one of the Blue Dragon, one of the unholy Three, so it's not your typical imperial city. The description given is so loaded with story hooks that you'd have to be crazy NOT to set your next campaign there.

Most of the locations come with lists of interesting characters and dark secrets. The major location also have write-ups for their associations with different icon rolls, positive and negative. For DMs who don't know what to do with a 5 negative for the Great Gold Wyrm these could provide some much-needed inspiration.

I'm currently into Chapter 4, monsters. Some solid additions to the canon here, but nothing (yet) that is a game changer. Looking forward to the chapter on devils, though!

Dungeoneer

First Post
The chapter on monsters is actually pretty good. This isn't a random grab bag of obscure beasties; these groups of monsters are well thought-out with lots of flavor text and story hooks. Several of the groups, notably devils, have tables of nasty extras you can use as needed.

The monstrous groups written up are: Azers, (additional) Dire Beasts, Bat Demon, Cloud Giants, Devils, Devil of the Fangs (see below), Metallic Dragons, Elementals, Flowers of Unlife, (nastier) Gnolls, Mummies, Pixies, Soul Flenser (see below), Spectres, Treants, Werebeasts and (still more) Zombies.

The section on devils is especially detailed, to dovetail with Chapter 5, Deviltry. Devils have their own detailed hierarchy and they specialize in different parts of the process of corrupting mortals. These aren't your stereotypical guys with pointy beards, either, there are some really disturbing creations here. Devils also have nasty abilities called the 'Devil's Due' where they block you from using the escalation die unless you allow them to do something unpleasant.

Although devils vary between campaigns, they need to retain certain key elements to feel like they fit the name. Some of these derive from mythology, while others come from timehonored fantasy gaming tradition. Devils:
• Come from somewhere unearthly.
• Embody evil, or at least one particular flavor of it.
• Act through stealth, calculation, and guile.
• Covertly interfere in mortal affairs.
• Respect power and hierarchy—theirs, if no one else’s.
• Are clearly distinguishable from demons. Or are at least arguably distinct. Or could at least have that argument made by a determined grognard.
• Have horns.

Heh.

After reading over the section on devils, I can say that if you use them in your campaign the players will hate them with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. Which is great! Of course they will not hate them as much as they will hate...

Soul Flensers! No, these aren't just off-brand Mind Flayers. These things are NASTY, basically rust monsters on steroids. A Soul Flenser attack has the potential to permanently remove one of the PC's power (ie a spell slot or a flexible attack). After they do this, they run away! Then the PC then has to find them and kill them if they want their power back.

If you have a problem with a party of PCs that never considers fleeing an option, well, I think a judicious application of some Soul Flensers might change their minds in a hurry.

The 'Devil of the Fangs', by the way, is something else entirely, a one-off threat called a 'River Devil' that grows in power throughout the campaign. Some cool story hooks here.

There's a ton more good stuff in this chapter, but you need to get the book and discover it for yourself. I'll note one last cool thing, though: the pixie 'Madness' power.

The target is maddened until the end of the pixie’s next turn. The first thing the creature does on its turn is use a standard action to make a display of power that has no practical benefit. The GM chooses the attack, spell, or other power, which should be the most powerful one the character has, preferably a daily. The target expends the power in a great show of prowess, aimed for display rather than effect. Wizards cast their fireballs into the sky, monks demonstrate flawless form while shadow-boxing, and clerics bless the very stones underfoot instead of allies.
If that isn't enough for you, there follows a table of equally frustrating effects that madness can have.

The monsters in the core book felt a little bit cut-and-dried to me (no doubt due to space constraints). The 'art' was also weak. I have no such complaints about the monster chapter in 13 True Ways!!

Next, a wicked chapter on... Deviltry!

OK, I have one complaint. It's a relatively small one, though.

This book is full of lists. In keeping with the '13' in 13th Age and 13 True Ways, these lists inevitably contain 13 items. That's cute the first couple of times, but at this point I'm starting to wish the book had been called 7th Age. It's hard to come up with 13 interesting things over and over and over...

The chapter on Deviltry gives us not one, not two, but thirteen possible scenarios for where devils come from, what they're trying to accomplish and how they are organized to do it. Many of these scenarios are really clever and ingenious, but some are just kind of so-so, and after about the sixth one it starts to feel rather repetitive. Basically each scenario is organized around the proposition that the devils are opposed to a specific icon. My favorite, believe it or not, is the one where the devils are opposed to the High Druid because it conjures a nightmare scenario of bureaucratized industrialization.

After the 13 icon-related scenarios come another sixteen really short scenarios that don't tie to particular icons. At his point, if you can't work devils into your campaign it's really your own damn fault!

Okay, that was a crunch-free and highly thematic chapter. Now for something completely different: The Gamemaster's Grimoire!

There’s a little bit of almost everything in this chapter. It’s probably a betrayal of the little-bit-of-everything compendiums that inspired this chapter to organize the contents alphabetically. But what’s more arbitrary than the alphabet? Contents include:
• Artifacts
• Dungeons & Ruins
• Flying Realms
• Inns, Taverns, and Roadhouses of Note
• Magic Items
• Monastic Tournaments
• Nonplayer Characters
• Underkrakens
• The Wild Garden

I'm pretty excited about Underkrakens (because I love Cthulu-style aberrations and the like) but let's take it one step at a time.

Artifacts are more-than-ordinarily powerful magic items. Instead of having only one power associated with them they have several, associated with different tiers. You don't automatically get these powers as they become available, you have to choose to activate or 'tune' them. This is because they take up item slots. Three artifacts are presented here, which isn't a lot, but provides a clear map to create your own.

Dungeons & Ruins
presents a list of (gasp!) thirteen ideas for dungeons to explore. Mostly these consist of a one-paragraph description and nothing more.

Flying Realms is similar, a list of airborne locations. How many are there? Guess. No really, go on, guess. Yes well, the descriptions of these are at least more colorful and amusing than the dungeon list. One of the Realms is a giant flying sword, which is all kinds of awesome.

Inns and Taverns
is a list of... a certain number... of inns and taverns. It's disappointingly rote, just a brief name and description for each. I would have liked them to at least list some boozy bar-flies and some plot hooks.

Magical Items features, well, magical items. And not 13 of them! I have to admit, I don't care much about magical items, but there are at least as many here as there were in the core book. The introduction promises a forthcoming volume focused exclusively on items so item enthusiasts have that to look forward to. Anyway, these seemed fine and included items like bracers for the new classes. There are also some cursed items, which are nearer and dearer to my heart.

Monastic Tournaments
describes three such events. Some interesting ideas and some nice extra flavor for Monk-centric adventures in the Dragon Empire.

Last edited:

Bishop_

First Post
About the parts missing in the 13TW book. Rob wrote to backers yesterday (tonight? I recently moved and I'm not used to the change in time zones) and stated that these parts (Icon stats, rules for dragon-riding, racial and Icon feats and other details about the setting) will come in a later product named until now "13th Age Annual". What seems to me, this 13AA will be a sort of Dragon/Dungeon Annual like these of DnD 4e era.

Backers will have access to these materials. Partially and free if you want only the 13TW content, or full and paid (with discount to backers) to access all game's tidbits. But no mention of when it will be released/published and how (pdf, printed, etc.).

Kender42

Explorer
Here's a quote from what Rob sent backers:

We ended the Kickstarter promising a 180-page book. Once we got into the design phase, our labor-of-love approach pushed us up to 256 pages. And because it was a labor of love, Jonathan and I prioritized the things we thought would be the most fun, and held our work to a very high standard. If we felt meh about something, and believed that you would feel meh about it too, it didn’t go in. We ended up delivering on all the stretch goals in the Kickstarter along with all the backer rewards, but some of our ideas in the original 13 True Ways Kickstarter plan didn’t make it into the book. So here’s what we plan to do about it.
We’re going to finish those pieces properly as part of the upcoming subscription-based 13th Age annual (name to be determined), along the lines of the excellent Ken Writes About Stuff from Pelgrane Press. I should be clear that the we I’m mentioning includes me, but not always the other members of the original 13TW team. Sometimes I’ll be the designer, other times I’ll act as developer with other talented contributors handling the design work. Sometimes we’ll be completing work that we started on 13 True Ways but didn’t finish to my satisfaction.
As a 13TW Kickstarter backer, you’ll have two options when the annual goes live:
1. You can choose to get only the issues that contain 13 True Ways follow-up content, for free
2. You can choose to purchase the entire first 13th Age annual at a discount which covers all of the free content to which you’re entitled, plus a bit extra
Not every month’s installment will contain 13 True Ways follow-up content, and there’s no set schedule about when a particular piece of 13 True Ways follow-up content will be completed. This may stretch out for quite some time, because during the design phase of 13 True Ways we unexpectedly hit on a few things that could serve as the basis for larger books. If they do get turned into books, when those surprises get unveiled we’ll send a related freebie to 13TW backers. Think of this operation as a purchase that keeps on providing surprising micro-rewards.
With that in mind, I’m going to go ahead and list the things that didn’t make it into 13 True Ways and my current thoughts on how they’ll be part of the 13th Age annual subscription, or not.
Appearing in the annual at some point
Details on forests & woods to make them distinct: This grew into something a bit different than I thought originally. More on gladiatorial games: Yeah, there’s some more we can explore here.
Rules for dragon-riding: I know that a lot of you were really looking forward to this—I was, too—and some of you even backed the project because of it. So I’ll be blunt: so far all the systems we’ve come up with have been worse than no system at all in terms of their impact on the game. I'm not interested in publishing bad systems, and I’m pretty sure you’re not interested in getting them. ASH and I are continuing to work on these rules, and we’ll do everything we can to ensure they get included in the first annual. I can promise that we’re not going to shrug our shoulders and send you something that we think isn’t worth using, just so we can check off a box on our to-do list. If for some reason we never make these work, we’ll give you something equally awesome that we CAN make work.
Illustrated comparisons of the adventurer, champion, and epic tier: We’ll do these, but probably not by Aaron and Lee.
Some fantastic maps of the overworld and portions of the underworld: Ditto.
A cutaway map of a typical elven wood: Same.
Partially appearing in the annual after their actual potential is realized in future books
Racial feats: because they do appear to have a place in the game, but that place may come as a surprise.
Feats associated with the icons: same story. The obvious mechanics weren’t so good, but there is something interesting hidden behind the idea.
Stats for the 13 icons themselves: As the game evolved and matured through further development and play, we became increasingly convinced that this was an idea we didn’t want to pursue half-cocked. You can see the care we took detailing the 4 backer-created NPCs in the Gamemasters’ Grimoire chapter of 13TW. In a sense, those NPCs function a bit like mini-icons, and our final approach to this topic may bear some resemblance to the multi-option approach used for the NPCs. But when I say ‘final approach,’ I’m acknowledging that this isn’t something we intend to pursue soon. When we do finally take this path, it’s almost certainly going to be the basis for a book rather than a slice of a different book. In the near-ish future, we will be doing monster-style stats for various servants and followers of the icons. Some of the high-level lieutenants of the icons will find their way into a 13TW-backers update to provide touches of the high-level play people might have been looking for from actual icon stats.
There are also going to be surprise backer freebies along the way, some of which expand on ideas that made it into 13TW.
That’s all I’ve got for now. We’ll be in touch about the annual’s start date and other details once we’ve built the plan out further, probably before or around GenCon.

Dungeoneer

First Post
Thanks for the info @Kender42!!! I'm excited about an annual. As much as I love books, they take a long time come out and I would like to see more regular updates of 13th Age material. I also think regular material would really help grow the player base. Awesome awesome awesome.

I'm also glad to see so many mentions of future books. It seems to me that Rob Heinsoo and Jonathan Tweet clearly envisioned 13A as a project with one or two books and that's it. However it is clear at this point that people who love the game want more than that. I'm really excited to see that Rob and others are working to deliver an ongoing game experience.

I would love to see 13A develop into a serious third-party 'edition' of D&D, a la Pathfinder. I hope it sticks around for a while. Heck, I hope to someday see the epic fan squabbles that herald the release of 13th Age, 2nd Edition!

Last edited:

Kender42

Explorer
*laugh* I know what you mean. I was an avid D&D player from AD&D 1E through 4E, and even played Pathfinder. (Still do, occasionally. The perils of being a GM and not having any players who will run stuff to give you a break!) 13th Age really hit the sweet spot for me when it came to how I wanted my FRPG to be. 3.5 and 4 were too tactical / miniature / map-oriented.

I'm really glad they are going to do the "annual" add ons. I think that is something that Pathfinder excels at, and I am really hoping to see more story-arcs and modules come out of that project.

For more content, if you aren't on it already there is a huge and thriving Google+ Community for 13th Age, and I run the community-repository for created content at www.13thage.org - people are always adding classes, monsters, magic items, and such.

Remove ads