• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

15 Minute NPCs

takasi

First Post
I just can't fathom taking 90 minutes to build one NPC in 3.5, even at high level.

One of the selling points for 4th edition is fast NPC generation. Why aren't designers using the PHB 2? I've found it extremely useful not only for people at my table (my 12 year old son builds high level PCs all the time) but also for me when making NPCs.

Here's a breakdown of how long it takes me. Why does it take anyone any longer to do this?

1.) Choose Class - 1 minute: This decision is more like a part of writing the adventure, not NPC generation. I generally choose this for story or simulation.

2.) Determine Ability Scores - 1 minute. Arrays are already there.

3.) Pick Race - 3 minutes: See #1 for the selection process, but you also have to copy and paste any racial/monster abilities.

4.) Pick Skills - 3 minutes. You can cut down a LOT of time on this by putting max ranks in each skill and going down the priority list in the PHB 2.

5.) Pick Feats - 1 minute. Use the roles listed.

6.) Equipment - 2 minutes. Just copy the equipment listed for classes in the PHB 2.

7.) Spells - 2 minutes. Again, use the PHB 2 lists.

8.) Put it all together - 2 minutes. Apply all modifiers and synergies and finalize the stat block.

Start to finish - 15 minutes.

There is a LOT of variety to be made from picking different monstrous races and adding class levels. And if you want two different types of fighters or duskblades or bards, the solution is variance in the existing lists in the PHB 2. Add tables for random equipment, skill and spell priorities, and create more feat lists. This is just as valuable as a complete overhaul of the system, and I would EXPECT the designers to have these available.

I just cannot imagine spending more than half an hour on ANY NPC, let alone NINETY MINUTES. What the hell is he doing in that amount of time?

And this is for a full on stat block, not "I think a +8 sounds good to hit". Am I the only one who baulks at the amount of time designers claim it takes them to build high level NPCs in 3.5?

I think you're just faster than most.

I am too, and I could probably do what you just outlined for an NPC of 1st to 6th level. Beyond that point, I think it would take me longer.

But in first edition, I could just write in the room description for my homebrew (4 Orcs are torturing a maiden with hot iron pokers... (HP 4,5,6,3) and be done with it. And that takes less than 1 minute.

I would guess for the average person, one would have to double all the times you cite in your post.

Ken

takasi

First Post
Can I ask why it takes longer at higher levels?

I just don't understand it. What part is bogging you down? Which step makes you pause and scratch your head? Why?

Well, there are several things

1) high level NPCs are more likely to have prestige classes

2) they have more gear, and the list of available choices for gear widens

3) I have to pick more spells, and I'm less familiar with the higher level spells

4) higher level NPCs have more attacks, and more feats which need to be taken into account when calculating their attack values. They also have more bonuses from different sources which need to be taken into account. This also holds true to a lesser extent for saving throw calculations

Nymrohd

First Post
At high levels you often want to design NPCs with specific purposes that vastly affect their feat selection, especially if they are fighters. If they are spellcasters you need to at least flesh out what spells they have memorised. Just picking the right spells can take an hour.
As for Step 8-2minutes. Wow you are fast.

Thyrwyn

Explorer
Prestige classes. Steps 5, 6 & 7. Not all Wizards have the same spell list - not all fighters have the same feats. They certainly don't have the same equipment.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Nymrohd said:
At high levels you often want to design NPCs with specific purposes that vastly affect their feat selection, especially if they are fighters. If they are spellcasters you need to at least flesh out what spells they have memorised. Just picking the right spells can take an hour.
This.

Anyone can crank out a generic NPC in 15 minutes. Hell, I could go copy out a statblock from the NPC tables in the DMG in two minutes. It takes time if you want to do anything interesting with feat choice, multiclassing, spell selection, or the like. That's what he's talking about.

EricNoah

Adventurer
First off, I make notes about how feats, spell-like abilities, and spells work (DCs, damage, etc.). Makes the game run better at the table. Second, picking out equipment takes me a while -- if I want to do something a little non-standard, or tweak the NPC one direction or the other in terms of defense, offense, saves, etc. I also make notes about tactics.

I use electronic tools to help me out but even then there is a lot of pondering. Do I want to work in a spell from the Spell Compendium? Etc.

30 min sounds right for me when it's a fairly high-level NPC who has to be kind of "different".

takasi

First Post
Haffrung Helleyes said:
1) high level NPCs are more likely to have prestige classes

Prestige classes would add an extra five minutes or so, but only to meet the prereqs. Otherwise it's just like any class: copy over the class talents and apply them in step 8.

Haffrung Helleyes said:
2) they have more gear, and the list of available choices for gear widens

Use the PHB 2. Don't think there's enough variety in PHB 2? Roll up a few items in the MIC.

Haffrung Helleyes said:
3) I have to pick more spells, and I'm less familiar with the higher level spells

Use the PHB 2.

Haffrung Helleyes said:
4) higher level NPCs have more attacks, and more feats which need to be taken into account when calculating their attack values. They also have more bonuses from different sources which need to be taken into account. This also holds true to a lesser extent for saving throw calculations

The sources are all there in the stat block at the end, and it should only take a minute or two to do the simple arithmetic to apply bonuses from feats and magic items.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads