• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

15th Level Summoner

davidpeng

First Post
hello everyone,

I am the d.m. in the group of friends that I am playing with and next week one of the parties sorcerers is entering a mage duel competition
at a fair on ysgard. One of the ideas I have for a wizard to set her against is a wizard who is
specialized in summoning, one with near perfect concentration. this wizard will be 15th level
anyone have any recomendations on how I should build this guy, as far as feats and skills go.

any help would be appreciated.

drnuncheon

Explorer
davidpeng said:
hello everyone,

I am the d.m. in the group of friends that I am playing with and next week one of the parties sorcerers is entering a mage duel competition
at a fair on ysgard. One of the ideas I have for a wizard to set her against is a wizard who is
specialized in summoning, one with near perfect concentration. this wizard will be 15th level
anyone have any recomendations on how I should build this guy, as far as feats and skills go.

any help would be appreciated.

I can give you the stat block for our party's summoner (14th level), but he uses a custom PrC. Then again, tke PrC doesn't do much for his summoning abilities, so you could probably just swap it out for sorcerer.

Note also that we use stuff from Monte Cook's Book of Eldritch Might series, which is where most of the non-core feats & equipment came from, as well as the variant sorcerer class.

Deynann, Male Human Sorceror (Monte Cook's)8 Planar Envoy6: CR 14; Size: M Type Humanoid; HD (8d6)+(6d4)+56; hp 102; Init +1 (+1 Dex, +0 Misc); Spd Walk 30ft; AC 19 (flatfooted 18, touch 11); SA: Planar Ally 2/week, Planar Survival, Plane Shift 1/day, Tongue of Angels +3, Summon Familiar; Vision: Normal; AL: NG; Sv: Fort +13, Ref +10, Will +17; Str 8, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 26

Skills and Feats: Appraise +5, Bluff +15, Concentration +19, Craft (Gemcutting) +15, Diplomacy +39, Gather Information +15, Handle Animal +9, Knowledge (Arcana) +19, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) +5, Knowledge (Geography) +5, Knowledge (History) +5, Knowledge (Local) +9, Knowledge (Nature) +5, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +5, Knowledge (Religion) +9, Knowledge (The Planes) +19, Profession (Cook) +2, Scry +9, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +19; Augment Summoning, Conjure Mastery, Education, Forge Ring, Spell Focus (Evocation, Transmutation)

Possessions: Outfit (Artisan's), Outfit (Courtier's), Amulet of Health +6, Bracers of Armor +8, Vest of Resistance +5, Ring of Blue Conjures, Deynann's Illustrious Agal, Handy Haversack, Magnifying Glass, Scale (Merchant's), Signet Ring, Jeweler's Tools (Masterwork)

Spells Known (DC 18+lvl, 6/8/8/8/8/7/6/4): 0th - Detect Magic, Enchanting Flavor, Flare, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Minor Summoning, Prestidigitation, Read Magic; 1st - Glamour, Magic Missile, Scales of the Lizard, Summon Monster I, Unhand; 2nd - Adrenaline Surge, Detect Thoughts, False Life, Shield, Summon Monster II; 3rd - Induce Vulnerability, Lightning Bolt, Protection from Elements, Slow, Summon Monster III; 4th - Charm Monster, Fly, Stoneskin, Summon Monster IV; 5th - Ball Lightning, Improved Invisibility, Summon Monster V, Teleport; 6th - Chain Lightning, Greater Dispelling, Summon Monster VI; 7th - Mass Haste, Summon Monster VII

The key things here are:
- Summon-boosting feats: Augment Summoning (T&B) & Conjure Mastery (BOEM)
- Summon-boosting equipment: ring of blue conjures (BOEM)
- Summon-boosting spells: adrenaline surge (MOTW), mass haste - really, any 'mass' spell can help.

EDIT: And tongues (part of the Illustrious Agal), which lets you communicate with your summoned creatures if you don't speak the appropriate extraplanar language.

Note the lack of Spell Focus: Conjuration. Apart from it being included as a prerequisite for just about every summoner PrC in existence, there is no point to it for a summoner as there are no saves for a summon monster spell.

EDIT: While I'm here I might as well put in the stat block for the Huge Air Elemental, buffed with just the permanent effects (from the feats and the ring).

Elemental, Air (Huge): HD 21d8+168; 262 hp; Init +15 (+11 Dex, +4 Improved Init); Spd fly 100ft (perfect); AC 31 (-2 size, +11 Dex, +8 natural, +4 deflection); Melee +24/+19/+14 (2d8+10 slam);Face 10ftx5ft; Reach 15 ft; SA Air mastery, whirlwind; SQ Elemental, DR 10/+2; AL N; SV Fort +14, Ref +23, Will +7; Str 24, Dex 33, Con 24, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11; Listen +23, Spot +23; Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Weapon Finesse (slam) (MM 81)

Various summoner PrCs have shown up in 3rd party supplements:
- Green Ronin's Plot & Poison has the Master Summoner.
- Relics & Rituals contains a Summoner.
- Fantasy Flight's Path of Magic has two summon-focused PrCs, the Arcane Negotiator and the Summoner.

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

J

Last edited:

Some good choices for Summoned Monsters are

VII: Elemental, Greater
VII: Celestial Elephant (Hasted Full Attack+Trample move), Bebilith
VI: Celestial Dire Bear (Grapple is your friend)
V: Arrowhawk, Medium sized, Fiendish Giant Crocodile.

Another plan that you may want to try and pull off is to create a large tank around your opponent with Wall of Stone, fill it with water rapidly using various spells, and then summoning aquatic creatures into the water. Most PCs lose their best abilities in water, and are easy prey for Squid, Shark, and Whale.

For the opening spell, you may want to consider Maze. With no save, it'll get rid of you opponent long enough to summon a lethal army of minions.

drnuncheon

Explorer
It's actually lurking somewhere in the House Rules board, but sadly I don't have search. Let's see if I can turn it up easily by sorting by thread starter...

Aha, here it is!

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30302

That's not actually the final version, though - we added the ability to split up the Allies from Afar ability to give it a smidge more versatility. Basically, you can trade in a Planar Ally for two uses of LPA, or a GPA for three LPAs, or a PA and an LPA. I think those were the only changes since the posted version...

J

treefrog

First Post
clerics rock

If your looking for a summoner don't overlook a cleric, who after all has access to the same summoning spells as an arcane caster and can summoning a bunch of baddies then prayer and bless his heart away. Not to mention that heightened sancuary + abjuration spell focus is your friend plus you get d8 vs d4. While you're at it you can cast while you're in armor with a shield and 2 magic vestment castings. The summoning cleric is just horrifying.

Last edited:

young_dwarf

First Post
Re: clerics rock

treefrog said:
If your looking for a summoner don't overlook a cleric, who after all has access to the same summoning spells as an arcane caster and can summoning a bunch of baddies then prayer and bless his heart away. Not to mention that heightened sancuary + abjuration spell focus is your friend plus you get d8 vs d4. While your at it you can cast while you're in armor with a shield and 2 magic vestment castings. The summoning cleric is just horrifying.

Treefrog does have a good point , you can also use the strength domain to cast Stoneskin and righteous might to improve the summoned monster.

Jeremy

Explorer
A wizard 5/summoner 10 (relics & rituals) can pull off a twinned summon monster IX once per day to devestating effect. :) Go for 2d3 or 2d4+2 critters and the world is a happy place for him. :)

davidpeng

First Post
thanks

thanks to everyone who has replied so far, I have more idea's now than when i started.
I have heard about the feat augmented summoning but I dont
have the book that it is in, anybody mind telling me what it does
and what the prerequisites are?

Remove ads