D&D 5E $165 Priced Hardcover D&D 2022 Book(s?) Leaked on Amazon

Back to Tal'Dorei, where did you hear the rumor? Who's the reliable person?
It's from this thread over at the giant in the playground forums.

The idea of Boo being so central just screams a strong Spelljammer connection.
I know people will jump at anything in the hopes of their preferred old setting coming back, but it really could be as simple as Boo looking cooler on the cover than Minsc.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
It's from this thread over at the giant in the playground forums.

I know people will jump at anything in the hopes of their preferred old setting coming back, but it really could be as simple as Boo looking cooler on the cover than Minsc.

Huh. It looks like he hasn't made any other predictions in the past year there. I didn't go back any further, but maybe someone can find a reumor he had that turned out true.

You may be right about the Boo thing, but I don't know why Minsc or Boo would be on a cover for a "normal" FR adventure. The last few 5E adventures have been location-based (Chult, Waterdeep, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate/Avernus, the Feywild) and since Baldur's Gate has already been done, I don't see why Minsc would be an integral character.

EDIT: I mean, that if this is an adventure, I only see including Minsc/Boo if it goes to Spelljammer. If it goes to another location, I feel like a different character would make more sense.

Last edited:

EDIT: I mean, that if this is an adventure, I only see including Minsc/Boo if it goes to Spelljammer. If it goes to another location, I feel like a different character would make more sense.
Just had a thought - if it isn't an adventure book, what is it? If we're getting 2 new classic settings in 2022, and if one of them is a proper Forgotten Realms campaign setting, could that be Boo with the Xanathar behind him? The alt cover could be a big series of portraits of memorable NPCs from the Realms.

Weiley31

Legend
So basically errata'd Xanathar's Guide to Everything+Tasha's Cauldron of Everything+a Mord/Volo combo book.

Well by that logic, the only one that would be a repeat book purchase in that combo for me would be Xanathar's. I have Mordenkien's Tome of Foes but never got Volo's Guide to Monsters and Tashas....well package thieves suck. And from the looks of it, this new combo book will pretty much be differentish enoughish that it wouldn't be a waste to get this set.

And I wouldn't expect any new races unless they decide to surprise us with the new Drow groupings. The 30 races are probably gonna be a number of the ones that weren't in the PHB like the Shadar-Kai, Tortle, Tabaxi, Locathah, etc etc. The only ones you probably won't see are the Dragonmarked variants.

Urriak Uruk

Just had a thought - if it isn't an adventure book, what is it? If we're getting 2 new classic settings in 2022, and if one of them is a proper Forgotten Realms campaign setting, could that be Boo with the Xanathar behind him? The alt cover could be a big series of portraits of memorable NPCs from the Realms.

Technically possible. But I wouldn't say Boo is iconic enough to take central-stage, even in an alt cover, for a FR Campaign Setting. Other names like Elminster would make more sense. I could see Boo as one character, off to the side, but not the big one in the middle.

It's very hard for me to imagine anything not Spelljammer related, unless it's a very Baldur's Gate focused book. And I mean, focused on plot-lines from the games that Minsc and Boo are tied to. But that seems like double-dipping into Baldur's Gate, which would be odd for the 5E team.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Technically possible. But I wouldn't say Boo is iconic enough to take central-stage, even in an alt cover, for a FR Campaign Setting. Other names like Elminster would make more sense. I could see Boo as one character, off to the side, but not the big one in the middle.

It's very hard for me to imagine anything not Spelljammer related, unless it's a very Baldur's Gate focused book. And I mean, focused on plot-lines from the games that Minsc and Boo are tied to. But that seems like double-dipping into Baldur's Gate, which would be odd for the 5E team.
I agree, we just got a Baldur's Gate based book, and if this is a Forgotten Realms setting book, it wouldn't have Sword Coast characters on it, because we've already got a ton of information on that from the SCAG and gazetteers in Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus and Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

Beholders basically have their own planet in Realmspace (the main world of Spelljammer and the only setting from Spelljammer that's currently in 5e), and Miniature Giant Space Hamsters are from Spelljammer.

If it's a Forgotten Realms book, it's either another dive into the Sword Coast, which would be boring, or a dive into the world in general, which wouldn't make sense to have its cover be Boo. If it's Spelljammer, its cover art fits really well.

Urriak Uruk

I agree, we just got a Baldur's Gate based book, and if this is a Forgotten Realms setting book, it wouldn't have Sword Coast characters on it, because we've already got a ton of information on that from the SCAG and gazetteers in Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus and Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

Beholders basically have their own planet in Realmspace (the main world of Spelljammer and the only setting from Spelljammer that's currently in 5e), and Miniature Giant Space Hamsters are from Spelljammer.

If it's a Forgotten Realms book, it's either another dive into the Sword Coast, which would be boring, or a dive into the world in general, which wouldn't make sense to have its cover be Boo. If it's Spelljammer, its cover art fits really well.

Also, I've learned time and again here... always bet against a 5E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. I swear, every pre-announcement for 5E gets the same "It must be an FR Campaign Setting!" from its fans, and its the same faceplant every time.

Remove ads