• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1E Unearthed Arcana: Yea or Nay?

1E Unearthed Arcana: Yea or Nay?

• Yea

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Nay

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Poll closed .

Spatula

Explorer
Nay. There's some good stuff in there, but the cavalier... oy.

It also had some heavy errata, unusual back then when you never saw more than a single sheet of corrections included with later printings. I recall that Dragon published the errata such that you could cut it out and tape it over the relevant sections in the book, and my brother's copy was filled with those cutouts.

The binding was also terrible, IIRC.

jensun

First Post
No. Cavaliers, Barbarians, dodgy overblown races, our viking hatted DM forbade them all.

The polearm pictures were quite nice and I used the Orc panthenon in subsequent games.

devoblue

First Post
I voted yes, because I liked the book and still remember the excitement when first reading it. But if we were voting for balance I'd probably say no.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I voted no. We looked at it when it came out and considered it to be rubbish compared to the things we had already integrated into our game from early issues of White Dwarf (e.g. the Brian Asbury version of the Barbarian character class, for instance).

Vancian Magic

First Post
If you're asking whether you should buy it and read it, then yeah sure. There's some good stuff.

If you're asking if you should play-as-written, then gods no!

Psion

Adventurer
Cavalier and the Barbarian came to represent everything I came to loath about trading roleplaying weaknesses for combat power.

But other than that, there's some great stuff in there... cantrips, spells, demihuman deities, throwing the doors wide on race/class combos, cool magic items, etc.

I didn't vote. "Split opinion".

Grimstaff

Explorer
I would have preferred the option "Charry Pick", but if its all or nothing, I have to say "nay".

Back in the days, I was all for it, but I had no clue about "balance" or "power creep", or even "nonsense", so its hard to go back.

Barbarian and Cavalier - ok, but were better off as "Fighter" with RP drawing the distinction.

The new ability roll system is horrid, basically "this class gets an 18 in strength, even if you have to roll 11d6 to get it".

Weapon specialization is a somewhat necessary fighter-enhancement, depending on the overall power-level of your 1E campaign.

The Demi-human deities are nice enough.

Pole-arm fetishism...not sure what to say here, ok if you're into that sort of thing I guess...

Some decent enough spells.

YMMV

Remove ads