1st Ed. Help with movement rules

DungeonMaester

First Post
A real quick question.

So...A all human party has a movement of 9''. How is that figured on Hexes. I having mulling through the three core AD&D books, but have not found anything that says what a hex/square represents.

How far can the party move in combat.

---Rusty

nittanytbone

First Post
Hey,

First off, I'd steer you towards Dragonsfoot. They have a very active 1E forum and you'll get a blizzard of answers in a hurry, I'm sure.

The 1E DMG p. 69 discusses figures in battle, where both grid and hex based systems are viable. Gary suggests using 1" per face hexes/grids for 25mm figures.

The PHB gives movement rates. In tactical combat situations, usually 1" = 10 feet of movement per round (minute). So a 12" move = 120 feet. When charging indoors, speed is doubled. When charging outdoors, you get a +33% modifier (+50% if you're a quadraped) (DMG 66).

I believe normal movement outdoors is at 3x speed, although I usually treat all combat at the 1" = 10 feet rate (just my personal house rule). Note that all missile fire ranges are triple outdoors (10" range = 100 yards outdoors, 100 feet indoors).

DungeonMaester

First Post
nittanytbone said:
Hey,

First off, I'd steer you towards Dragonsfoot. They have a very active 1E forum and you'll get a blizzard of answers in a hurry, I'm sure.

The 1E DMG p. 69 discusses figures in battle, where both grid and hex based systems are viable. Gary suggests using 1" per face hexes/grids for 25mm figures.

The PHB gives movement rates. In tactical combat situations, usually 1" = 10 feet of movement per round (minute). So a 12" move = 120 feet. When charging indoors, speed is doubled. When charging outdoors, you get a +33% modifier (+50% if you're a quadraped) (DMG 66).

I believe normal movement outdoors is at 3x speed, although I usually treat all combat at the 1" = 10 feet rate (just my personal house rule). Note that all missile fire ranges are triple outdoors (10" range = 100 yards outdoors, 100 feet indoors).

First off, I had went to Dragon's Foot when I first got back into 1st ed. All I got thier was complaining about the 3.x boogeyman and other meaningless complaints.

Thanks for the info it will help for the next session.

---Rusty

Delta

First Post
This is on 1E PHB p. 39:

DISTANCE
For purposes of the game distances are basically one-third with respect to spell arid missile range from outdoors to indoors/underground situations. Thus most ranges are shown as inches by means of the symbol ”, i.e. 1”, etc. Outdoors, 1” equals 10 yards. Indoors 1” equals 10 feet. Such a ratio is justifiable, to some extent, regardless of game considerations...

What you're going to find, unfortunately, is that 1E is a bit contradictory about this, since it never literally discusses using a "grid/hexes". Supposedly 3 characters can fit in a 10-foot dungeon corridor, but there's no way you can physically fit that many miniatures in a real 1" space. The DMG has an alternate contradictory suggestion for actually mapping out areas with miniatures. From 1E DMG p. 10:

USE OF MINIATURE FIGURES WITH THE GAME...
Figure bases are necessarily broad in order to assure that the figures will stand in the proper position and not constantly be falling over. Because of this, it is usually necessary to use a ground scale twice that of the actual scale for HO, and squares of about 1 actual inch per side are suggested. Each ground scale inch can then be used to equal 3-1/3 linear feet, so a 10’ wide scale corridor is 3 actual inches in width and shown as 3 separate squares. This allows depiction of the typical array of three figures abreast, and also enables easy handling of such figures when they are moved. While you may not find it convenient to actually use such figures and floor plans to handle routine dungeon movement, having sheets of squares for encounter area depiction will probably be quite helpful. If you do so, be certain to remember that ground scale differs from figure scale, and when dealing with length, two man-sized figures per square is quite possible, as the space is actually 6 scale feet with respect to length...

I assume you can see how complicated this "ground scale differs from figure scale" idea is, so to some degree if you use miniatures you have to resolve the issue yourself.

Personally what I do is say 1" = 5 ft. (like 3E), 1 figure per square/hex, use all 1E ranges in inches as written, and say the round is 30 seconds long (thus keeping total movement the same, but twice as much action per game minute).

Last edited:

Remove ads