D&D (2024) 1st level monk. Why?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Part of the issue might be whether someone considers 6.5 points of average damage to actually be a "CRUSHING" difference, or just a standard difference of what a Fighter and a Monk could/should/would do.

I personally do not see a Fighter doing 6.5 more points of damage more than the Monk to be that big of a deal... especially considering if I chose to play a Monk it was probably because of all the story and fluff reasons and not because I just wanted to be concerned with combat damage. But that's just me.

Yes, I do think 6.5 damage is a crushing difference. It is the damage difference between a -1 strength score and a +5 strength score, on a single attack. Or any of a dozen other ways to split it. It would be the equivalent of getting +2d6 damage a turn.

And all the story and fluff are great reasons, but here is a secret for you. Closely guarded. You don't have to settle to be less effective, to have a good story and good fluff. I play paladins for the story and fluff, and it turns out, Paladins don't underperform in combat. They are actually pretty good in combat. So, just because I like the story and the fluff of the monk, doesn't mean I have to sacrifice.

Every combat class except maybe the barbarian outperforms monks once they pass level 11. Level 11 is a combat damage bump level for martials. Monks need an increase there. It isn't an increase that needs to make them the best class that ever existed, it is an increase to KEEP them in line with the other classes.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Also I have not seen stunning blow factored in.

That is because stunning blow is a con save, with a low DC, once per turn. The chance of it making a meaningful impact more than once in a blue moon is gone.

Edit: and if you happen to advance to 14th level, having only good saves and advantage if you desire can transition in a lot more damage than 6.5 DPR.
The fighter might wish that he had taken rsilience wisdom instead of charger.

Why can't the fighter take Resilient Wisdom at level 12? I was showing a level 11 fighter. Sure, maybe they wanted resilient before charger, but maybe they took charger at level 4.

I won't deny diamond soul is a good ability, but a good ability at level 14 shouldn't mean sacrificing yourself at level 11.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Or the monk can use a greatclub to do 1d8 +3 damage and push the target away 10 feet, allowing them to run back.....

No they can't. Greatclubs are two-handed. Monks can't use them. Never have been able to use them. Unless you have a strength score of 16 alongside 16 wisdom and 16 dexterity.

Stalker0

Legend
No they can't. Greatclubs are two-handed. Monks can't use them. Never have been able to use them. Unless you have a strength score of 16 alongside 16 wisdom and 16 dexterity.
It is actually somewhat in the middle.

You can use greatclubs with the new monk, the ONLY thing you cannot do with them is use your dex for their attack and damage, which granted is a significant barrier to their use. But a monk can use them and use their weapon mastery property should they wish

Remove ads