2-3 Pitched battle scenarios

BluWolf

Explorer
We are getting our new group together this weekend for our first meet-up/game session.

The majority of the players are folks that left the game prior to 3e and are now returning. (4 old 2e players, 2 3.5 players).

So besides the social pleasantries and getting to know ya stuff, we will do a lot of character gen and rules discussion.

I wanted to end the night running through 2-3 set piece battles just to run through combat since that is the most mechanics intesive aspect of the game.

Rather than just throwing 10 Orcs on the grid and rolling init, I was wondering if folks had any suggestions on 2-3 scenarios that could bring up different mechanics or things that really show how 3.5 combat works.

The group will be all first level with 2-3 melee, 1 arcane, 1 divine and maybe a druid or rogue.

Suggestions on opponents, terrain, weapons are all welcome.

Regards

weem

First Post
I was wondering if folks had any suggestions on 2-3 scenarios that could bring up different mechanics or things that really show how 3.5 combat works.

Based on your post I was thinking you were getting together to try out 4e, but this line says 3.5, so I wanted to see -- which game are you going to be playing?

And what levels? 1?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
No suggestions??
First, buy the Rules Compendium. Seriously, it will save you huge headaches and growing pains.

As for setpiece battles, there are several rules you can highlight, even at 1st level:

Mounted combat. Grapple, disarm, sunder, bull rush, overrun. Combat on difficult or slippery terrain. I like occasionally showing the need for PCs to work together, by placing a relatively fragile opponent with an AC that's almost untoucahble without aiding actions or buffs.

The list will grow (e.g., underwater combat or aerial combat) as the PCs rise in level.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Use a battlefield with multiple levels & broken terrain- kind of like a Battletech map- so that there is cover & concealment. A shallow river bed can conceal archers/slingers or the like. Similarly, it can provide a relatively safe path across a dangerous area as PCs or NPCs run its length, crouched over. This will make them think tactically, and will have them making Spot or Hide rolls, depending upon the situation.

An ambush on a path through heavy woods with thick underbrush would yield similar results.

2) Use opponents of varying size and reach. A group of goblins with spears protecting their spellcaster introduce the issues of Reach and AoOs and what it means to flank. A single Large opponent would also make them think through their options.

3) A night-time combat introduces the concept of foes who can see when you can't.

Noumenon

First Post
The Wizard's Amulet module (available on Necromancer Games' free stuff page) ends with a combat with a ring of skeletons, zombies, henchmen, a wizard and his invisible imp familiar. That's a pitched battle, but if it is too much the adventure includes instructions for scaling it down to a manageable level. There are also downloadable pregens, which is a lot better and faster way to start learning a new game than rolling up characters.

Remove ads