2 spells: Verdict?

What do you think of the spells?

• Satisfactory

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • They suck (for whatever reason)

Votes: 9 81.8%

Geoff Watson

First Post
Jenners Minor Ray is basically a Magic Missile you can Sneak Attack with.
It seems OK, at first glance.

Stabilize: I'd make it Instantaneous duration and Touch range. With range, I think it should be 1st level for Wiz/Sor/Bard/Pal/Ranger, and 0-level for Clr/Drd.

Geoff.

Illuminae

First Post
black and white?

black and white?

Healing is as healing does. I think Wizards should not have anything related to healing. Keep it black and white.

Healing = curing damage = gaining HP = Divine kinda thing

Stabilizing = HEAL SKILL (which can be used untrained by anyone) = first aid = preventing further loss of blood

the spell practically uses the skill without a check and at distance, nothing more
black and white enough IMHO

Crothian

First Post
Re: black and white?

Illuminae said:
black and white?

Healing = curing damage = gaining HP = Divine kinda thing

Stabilizing = HEAL SKILL (which can be used untrained by anyone) = first aid = preventing further loss of blood

the spell practically uses the skill without a check and at distance, nothing more
black and white enough IMHO

Healing is healing. Stabilizing is a form of healing. A very weak form, but still a form.

tleilaxu

First Post
You can find another thread by me (turtle/tleilaxu) where I rant about the arbitrary division between divine and arcane magic...

tleilaxu

First Post
If you want to you can conceptualize it as a very weak for of temporal stasis. It is just the temporary delaying of death, not stopping it. The spell doesn't channel and positive energy into a body, it transmutes the body by slowing down bodily functions and keeps it form bleeding to death. If the body doesn't get healed or have a successful heal check done to it by the time the spell expires he/she continues dying. Therefore the spell is Even Weaker Than the heal skill...

But I like Minor Ray better... talk about Minor Ray people! :)

Illuminae

First Post
crothian, by what youre saying, i believe that you think also that the heal skill should not be used untrained, since you say that stabilizing is a form of healing.

maybe whats disturbing your sense of game balance when you look at the spell is the flavor text turtle wrote, maybe that should be changed.

cure spells deal with positive energy
the stabilize proposed should be something like a minor "temporal stasis", a transmutation effect, which prevents the deterioration from anything, including a body

also you didnt make any argument to sustain what youre saying, so I am still stressing my ...

Healing = curing damage = gaining HP = Divine kinda thing = positive energy

...statement.

Last edited:

Illuminae

First Post
i dont find ray spells much appealing

maybe you should create a better flavor text, turtle IMHO

a ray of force.... nhe

then build up the mechanics

NI HAO!!!!

KUAI TSU!!!!

WU SHU!!!!

:)

Illuminae

First Post
translate it pleeeeeeeeeeeeease... ;)

i got the "sorry, but i dont speak portuguese", i think

não tem problema, eu não falo chinês também :)

did I spell everything right?

Remove ads