• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2 styles of map... which looks best?

Khuxan

First Post
If you're the one who's printing it (i.e. the map's in a print book) then the first one. If you expect me to print the map (i.e. it's a pdf or other download) the second one without the parchment backgroup. In black-and-white, definitely the second one.

BTW, Jeffrey J. Visgaitis, I'm looking forward to getting Denizens of Avadnu for Christmas!

Kris

Adventurer
Thanks again for the comments :) (and also the kind words).

It may sound a bit odd... but I kinda like working on maps and stuff for my own little campaign world... and then give them away for free (in some kind of a generic download) when I'm done with them. I don't pretend that anything I do is groundbreaking in design or of particular high quality... but hopefully it's good enough to use if a DM is in need of something in a hurry.

For me, a good part of the fun is in the actual world/game creation... and I've always got loads of things I intend to do... so I've usually got more ideas (some good, some terrible ;) ) than I could possibly cope with :)

But freelancing would not be so bad at times when I'm not actually running a game... but right now I'd just see it as something taking up my time - time that I could put to use creating stuff for my own world/game and website :D

Darius101

First Post
Maps

I have made my share of maps as well and although the parchement one is nice looking online I would prefer it to be striaght black and white. If I wanted it on parchement I would buy the parchement paper and print it on that. It would look better and feel better for the players as well.

I like your color map very well. You could use it on a laptop to show players the map. It looks very nice. It is visually pleasing compared to the parchement map. I print my maps at either Kinkos or at work so the ink thing is not a factor to me.

I guess I don't understnad why so many people are doing the parchement maps and then printing them on white paper.
I guess it would really come down to how it was going to be used in game. That is the biggest factor to me when designing a map for gametime.
Later,
Darius

Sigurd

First Post
The naturally coloured one is much nicer to work with.

The other one might suggest a genuine document and convey a particular mood but I'd much rather have the first. The yellow is annoying and the extra effort to figure out what is what grates. The First is obvious and just nice to use.

sigurd (just my .02)

Remove ads