20 Questions Instead of Infodump

Reynard

Legend
I'm saying if you want to jazz up the business of figuring out the weakness, I'd suggest that the hurdle that they have to play to overcome isn't getting the Macguffin, but finding out what it is.
I only have so much time. I don't think discovering the definition of the McGuffin is something that is worth a big time investment compared to finding it and utilizing it.

MarkB

Legend
I only have so much time. I don't think discovering the definition of the McGuffin is something that is worth a big time investment compared to finding it and utilizing it.
Well, if you can't afford to devote equal time to both, then what it'll basically come down to is either that the weakness is quick and easy to discover, but difficult to obtain, or that it's difficult to discover, but quick and easy to obtain.

So, it's either like Superman, where everyone knows he's vulnerable to Kryptonite but finding some is very difficult, or it's something like a food allergy - a very closely guarded secret, but once you know about it you've basically just got to grab a few gallons of peanut butter.

Reynard

Legend
Well, if you can't afford to devote equal time to both, then what it'll basically come down to is either that the weakness is quick and easy to discover, but difficult to obtain, or that it's difficult to discover, but quick and easy to obtain.

So, it's either like Superman, where everyone knows he's vulnerable to Kryptonite but finding some is very difficult, or it's something like a food allergy - a very closely guarded secret, but once you know about it you've basically just got to grab a few gallons of peanut butter.
Knowing that I am running a con game and prefer action over investigation i would opt for the PCs finding out quickly* and then spending their adventuring time acquiring and using it.

*Quickly isn't the same as easily. It is okay if it takes less table time but costs more in the fiction.

Buzzqw

Explorer
On my manual i suggest these questions before building the character

• Imagine what it looks like
  • What is the main personality trait of the character
  • What are his tics, ways of doing, habits
  • What are its primary objectives
  • A curious thing, a funny thing, an embarrassing thing and a typical expression of the character
  • What he's good at, what he's committed to, what he is denied
  • The three main flaws and three main strengths of the character

BHH
p.s. this is the manual

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases