20 years of playing D&D

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'll make 36 years in the hobby sometime this year. (Maybe I already have.)

My first few years wer D&D only, then a buddy of mine taught me Traveller (yes, my first PC died in PCgen) and Star Fleet Battles. The next RPG was the very first edition of Champions.

I like it on both sides of the screen, and I think I bring a good game. But I think my GMing skills are slipping.

D&D, Traveller, and Champions. Ahh the memories.

I first played around 82? but didnt play constantly until I joined the military in 86. So 30ish years.

I also have a proud but dead Traveller character. Nice.

Wish I could get people to play Star Fleet Battles, but I suspect those days will never return.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
It seems like we used our imaginations more and the rules/modules/supplements a lot less back then. Not that we had a lot of choice, given the relative scarcity of gaming products, modules, settings, etc. New games aplenty, but support for them? Not so much. Off the cuff, I can remember reading/playing (at least briefly) Boot Hill, Top Secret, Villains & Vigilantes, Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu and Champions (the last two having more staying power with our group) through high school and university.

Ahh, I had forgotten about Top Secret.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've been playing since 1981 so that's 32 years for me. Shortly after playing the Holmes set, we started picking up the AD&D hardcovers. But we also branched out into Traveller, Villains and Vigilantes, Champions, Top Secret, Star Frontiers, and Gamma World.

delericho

Legend
I can't remember exactly when I started playing, but I know it was early summer 1993. So sometime during the end of June or beginning of July. That makes it 20 years now since I started playing D&D.

Congratulations! I'm due to hit 25 years myself come this September.

Well, I may not have played regularly until high school, but I remember playing with (and buying minis for) a friend back when I was 11. So that's about 32 years now. Damn.

Started with the hardcovers. My first character was an unnamed wizard who got to cast Burning Hands at some monsters for 1 hp of damage each before dying.

I just ran across my 1st edition Gamma World book the other day.

Troll_Mage

First Post
35 years, started with the box sets, simultaneously dabbling with Avalon Hill and SPI wargames. My D&D experience was partly self-taught and games stories from my classmates (Catholic school) that were in a game in the next county. In the late 70s most of the early RPGers were wargamers that were dabbling with TSR Chainmail and so on. So their games tended to be very gritty and heavy into realism.
When eventually got into a full campaign as a player, it was a very detailed campaign, with many facets of realism applied to monster ecology and the game world.... so you knew where the orcs lived, where the goblin warrens, a dragon live here etc. Adventuring was risky as it would be for a 11th -14th century mercenary, though we rarely encountered diseases that tended to wipe out medieval armies, death came swiftly to monsters and traps, so we tended to roll up many characters during the course of a campaign. Still it was a lot of fun and very immersive. Magic was on the low-end and tended to be more exotic and mysterious, rarely over the top.
My time in the university and active duty USMC tended to be the same, if not more gritty in the gory details of medieval warfare. Dabbled a bit into original Champions, Gamma World, Twilight 2000, DragonQuest, Runequest, and Traveller, but they didn't' compare to a good D&D campaign. I did enjoy a good Top Secret campaign, as the DM ran a long-term cold-war focused campaign. I eventually settled down to my home brew long-term D&D campaign with currently 4 chapters of campaigns that I have run for various groups over the last 15+ years (primarily 3.0-3.5).

Over the last few years have run several short campaigns (6th - 8th level top) Pathfinder and couple of Savage World modern day horror campaigns, and most recently a Goodman Games DCC RPG campaign - which IMO is one of the best retro flavor games out there, much better than Labyrinth Lord, C&C, or Basic FRPG. Probably have forgotten a dozen other games I have played in or run.

Warbringer

Explorer
I'd just started secondary school in 79 when a friend of a friend came back from the US with the three hardbacks in tow and I've been hooked ever since .... Though to be honest, fell on quiet times from 1992 to 2000

sheadunne

Explorer
Just hit my 30th year ('83) this summer! I started just before we moved to Norway (Army Brat). Talk about hard to find gaming books! Thankfully the base carried them (go military support of the game!) and I was able to start collecting books. We switched between 1e and BEMCI pretty easily in the early years and made up half the rules ourselves. We didn't care. I ended up running most times because no one else wanted to or really had many of the books. I remember my mother at the time arguing with teachers about allowing D&D books in place of traditional books for our reading assignments. It was all I read at the time. Eventually I got into novels, but it took a while. Who wanted to read a book when I could create one through play! I think the second RPG I played was Elf Quest (based off the comic books). I occasionally played other RPGs (Mostly TSR games since it was hard to find other publishers while overseas). It's been a fun and enjoyable hobby that's been the one staple in my life for 30 years, longer than just about anything else. Game Hard!

Gwaihir

Explorer
Started in 1981. Played Basic a bit until was introduced to and confused by AD&D. Ive had a couple of hiatuses (Hiatai?) during that time, including the 4 years of college, where I did not play. Played AD&D, Top Secret, Traveller, 2E, 3E and now 3.5. My pre college experience was mostly tactical, and really didnt start emphasing roleplaying until after college.

It has been enjoyable.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases