• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2009 ENnies Judge Selection

zacharythefirst

First Post
Over on RPGnet, some of the judges have started listing their Q&A answers. I'd like to do that here as well. I've strove to be as open and as communicative as a judge can in the past year through my online threads and my blog, and hope you will honor me with the chance to do the same for one more year:

Introduction:

I've been gaming since 1993, although the games I played early on tended to be those from the 80s. I started out with Palladium Fantasy (1e), and soon branched out to many different titles, playing in memorable sessions of TMNT, Rules Cyclopedia D&D, Traveller, Ghostbusters, Rifts, FASERIP, and more. Since then, favorites of mine have included d20 (various incarnations), Truth & Justice, Rolemaster, Two-Fisted Tales, Roma Imperious, Iron Gauntlets, Burning Wheel, Don’t Rest Your Head, Delta Green, and many more. To me, the true mark of success for a RPG product is not how pretty it may look, or how many shelves it sits on, but rather how much inspiration and enjoyment it brings to gaming tables.

If elected to a 2nd judgeship, I will be honored by the responsibility with which you've entrusted me. Again as I did all this year, I will make my evaluation and selection process as open, public, and visible as possible, explaining the whys and wherefore of the process as much as I can. I hold no agenda other than that of quality, and do not care who made a product, so long as it is a great product that encourages and/or assists in a fun session or campaign of top-notch gaming. A judge owes those who elected him and those whose products he is evaluating the full and thorough discharge of his duties, and I’ll work as hard as I can to give every product the best look regardless of company, system, or genre.

1. When did you join the RPG hobby and what inspired you to become involved and stay with it?
I began playing RPGs in 1993 (a meteorite fell on my character in the first 5 minutes; you have to love those junior high games!), and even with a rough first few sessions, I fell in love with gaming immediately. The only inspiration I needed to stick with it through the years were the feelings I had when I gamed—those of worlds of endless possibility, excitement, and adventure. That, and hanging out with good friends (and new ones)—what could be better?

2. Since you joined the hobby, what roles have you played (e.g. vending, professional writing and publishing, freelancing, reviewing, convention organizing, homebrewing, playing, GMing, etc.)?
I think most gamers try at some point to write for themselves, their group, or the hobby; my contribution on that level has been as a Rifter contributor and supplier of various homebrew works. I also cover Gen Con Indy as “press” yearly and love every minute of it! In addition, I review RPG products for a variety of websites, but that would all be moot if it weren’t for the dual roles I have and love as heavy-duty player and GM.

I was also a judge for the ENnies this past year—this will be my 2nd and final run for the job.

3. The ENnies require a major commitment of time and mental energy. What resources do you bring that will help you discharge these responsibilities? Will your gaming group or other individuals be assisting you? Does your family support you?
I am a night owl, and that gives me free time in which to review and evaluate plenty of gaming material. When fitting, I have a pair of fantastic gaming groups to assist me, one that has plenty of diverse gaming experience, an eagerness to try out new material, and a rather unique collective sense of humor to boot. Above all, I have the desire to make the judging process as open, direct, and public as I am allowed and able.

My family does support me—I like to think they keep me sane.

4. Judging requires a great deal of critical thinking skills, communication with other judges, deadline management, organization, and storage space for the product received. What interests, experience and skills do you bring that will make you a more effective judge?
My other hobbies include art, writing, reading, and history. All of these areas can be pretty directly (and indirectly) useful in judging gaming products.

I’m also a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, a vocation that saw me placed around the world in situations requiring integrity, flexibility, dedication, understanding, and an appreciation both of beautiful simplicity and useful innovation. I also (as some of my fellow judge colleagues can attest to) love discussing games, and am very task-oriented and organized when it comes to projects.

5. What styles and genres of RPGs do you enjoy most? Are there any styles or genres that you do not enjoy? Which games best exemplify what you like? Do you consider yourself a particular system’s, publisher’s or genre’s “fanboy/girl”?
I really have no one RPG style or genre I value highly above any others (I really am all over the map as far as what I play!), but I do admire various features in many diverse RPGs. I love the carefully-considered mechanics of Burning Wheel. I love the build and widespread appeal/availability of d20/D&D 3.5/Pathfinder. I love the sheer, unabashed enthusiasm of Rifts. I love the red-eyed, caffeine-fueled harsh neon buzz of Don’t Rest Your Head. I love the awesome attitude and surprising range of Risus. I love those Rolemaster crit tables. I love the mutant creation tables in TMNT. I love of the freaky-cool vibe of Lacuna. I love what Traveller simply is and can be. I love the maps from MERP. I love the troupe play and writing from In Harm’s Way. I love the intrigue and careful, clever maneuvering Amber encourages. I love Delta Green, period. I love the pure fact people would take time to create a game in the first place and put so much investment and enthusiasm into it. Seriously, what an amazing hobby!

The only games I really dislike are a) those that do not inspire, and b) those that are flat-out unplayable. I also dislike any game that attempts to denigrate another form of roleplaying, or takes a holier-than-thou attitude.

I love too many different RPGs to be the fan of just one company exclusively. Consider me a “fanboy-at-large”.

6. What system do you think is best designed? Is it the one you play most?
I’m still a tremendous fan of Burning Wheel’s subsystems, which is actually several very distinct systems combining to make a tremendous game. For rules-light, beer n’ pretzels gaming, I think the flexibility and attitude of Risus make it a sublime choice. I’m also a big fan of Atomic Sock Monkey’s PDQ system, which has a universal quality and structure that makes it so robust there’s not a lot I can’t think of using it for. All those systems do get face time at my gaming table.

7. What games have you played in the past year? List up to 10 RPGs you have played the most.
As an ENnies judge, I have played dozens upon dozens of different games this past year. The 10 games that I’ve likely played the most would likely be (in no particular order) Rolemaster (heavily houseruled), D&D 3.5/Pathfinder, Risus, Truth & Justice, Palladium Fantasy, Rules Cyclopedia D&D, True 20 (Freeport & Roma Imperious), Burning Wheel, Classic Traveller, and Lacuna. Other games I’ve recently played include (but aren’t limited to) Two-Fisted Tales, Don’t Rest Your Head, A+ Fantasy, Breaking The Ice, D&D 4e (demo), Epic RPG, Changeling, Thousand Suns, T20 Traveller, Aces & Eights, The Princes’ Kingdom, and Rifts.

8. Briefly summarize the criteria you will use for judging products in the different categories. How will you deal with comparing products of vastly disparate lengths, medium (PDF vs. print), or mechanics to prose ratios? Will innovation and originality play a major role?
First, I would like to reiterate my rolling campaign pledge of making this judging and evaluation as open as possible, if you do me the honor of electing me to this awesome responsibility.

The length or size of a book or product does not necessarily denote quality or value. Each product, regardless of length, will be evaluated on organization, focus, overall substance and style, and if it inspires/enhances the roleplaying experience.

Aesthetics do play a role (obviously much more in certain categories than others), but are not always the final determination of a product’s quality. Obviously, when they affect a product’s usability, that factors in much more.

Regarding pdf vs. print, the book should be easy to read and follow, regardless of medium. Aside from that, both pdf and print products should be judged on actual content and quality, not preferred medium.

Mechanics-to-prose is a case-by-case basis. If a book achieves its intended goal through whatever mechanics/prose ratio it may have, that’s far more important to me than any abstract number or formula. Innovation and originality are fantastic, valuable aspects to any product, so long as they improve that product. Being different just to be different without enhancing the quality of product carries little weight with me.

What goes into evaluating any game product is a long, involved, considerate list, but you might boil it down to “does it bring the awesome?”

9. How will you judge supplements or adventures for game systems whose core rules you are unfamiliar with or you believe are badly designed? What about for systems that are out of print?
First, let me say I have been very blessed to be able to play a wide range of systems over the past few years, so I am very much hoping this maximizes the number of products I am able to evaluate with immediate or quick familiarity system-wise.

Aside from that, I pledge to familiarize myself with as many different systems as I can for this competition. And for those times I may not know the system or not personally care for it, I think I have to really step back and look at the overall product for what it is and what it offers. Descriptions, usability, flow of text and prose—a judge needs to be willing to ask for help when need be and work like crazy to make sure each submitted product gets the best possible look. These individuals and publishers entrusted us with a copy of their work for full evaluation—we need to honor that trust.

10. How would you like to see the ENnies change (categories, policies, etc)? What should remain inviolate?
I have three main changes: First, I would look at a more formalizing of the Lifetime Achievment award that Gary Gygax and Erick Wujcik have received. We have so many truly deserving, legendary folks in this hobby—it is right & proper to honor them as we can for the joy they’ve brought us.

Second, I think the awards needs to continue to looking at the submissions process, ensuring it is as fair and accessible to all publishers/entrants as possible.

That said, I think my biggest push is for a culture of honesty, transparency, and communication on the awards—both to publishers and fans. I think the awards have made steps towards that, but need judges who are willing to discuss, garner interest/buzz, and generally drive up interest in the awards in general.

BONUS: (optional) If you were an RPG, what would it be, and would you play it?

I believe I would be someone's old homebrew system. A couple of really good ideas surrounded by a lot of baggage and tacked-on bits from years past. Would I play it? Heck, yeah--I'm always up for a game!!!

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Crossposted from my waffling thread:

Introduction

I go by HellHound or a variant thereof on a dozen or so different RPG boards. My name is M Jason Parent, and I've been heavily involved in RPGs for over 26 years now. I've been a publisher, a writer, an illustrator (not a very good one), cartographer, and a rules-tweaking monster. I've run games in just about every genre and every style, from some seriously Monty Haul AD&D1e campaigns, to deep role-playing sessions in a variety of systems.

I'm currently running games for 4+ gaming groups in a variety of systems - Dungeons & Dragons, Star Frontiers, Lacuna Part 1, Dark Heresy and Vampire: the Requiem. I've run a dozen or so RPG fansites over the years and am a chronic rules tweaker. I bring RPG books wherever I go and have a small stack on my office desk as well as a room dedicated to them at home.

In 2002 I published my first professional product, and then won my first ENnie award that summer at Gen Con. Since then, I've been closely involved with the ENnies as an observer and volunteer since Denise got the job as Business Manager. After years of watching from the sidelines and helping behind the scenes, I figure I now the job better than anybody who hasn't already done it.

1. When did you join the RPG hobby and what inspired you to become involved and stay with it?

I started with D&D in 1980. I've been playing, without more than a 6 month break, for 28 years now. I'm one of those "system hoppers" - I've run or played over a hundred different games over the years, starting with the various TSR offerings and Traveller back in the 80's, and moving on to just about every game style and genre under the sun (with a lot of my teenage years spent playing a variety of Palladium RPGs). But I also keep coming back to D&D - running a BECM D&D campaign on and off for 12 years, and rediscovering D&D with the release of 3e in 2001 which then lead me to release my first "professional" RPG product.

2. Since you joined the hobby, what roles have you played (e.g. vending, professional writing and publishing, freelancing, reviewing, convention organizing, homebrewing, playing, GMing, etc.)?

Yes.

Actually, I've never worked in the retail side of gaming. But I've been a writer (for Ambient, ENPublishing, Mystic Eye Games, Fantasy Flight Games, Paradigm Concepts) & publisher, I've worked with conventions (and was on a panel about epublishing at Origins a few years ago), and I've run a whole slew of RPG fansites (some of which are still around - such as my Star Frontiers, CyberPunk, deadEarth and a few other sites).

For most of my gaming time I've been running games. I've run over a hundred systems over the years, and I've written house rules for a large number of them or tweaked them towards purposes I'm sure their authors never intended.

3. The ENnies require a major commitment of time and mental energy. What resources do you bring that will help you discharge these responsibilities? Will your gaming group or other individuals be assisting you? Does your family support you?

I have an extensive background in game mechanics and design from 1980 onwards. I own in excess of 200 RPGs, at least half of which I've run, and a few of which I've actually been a player in. I don't read fiction much anymore, I bring RPG books to read when we go on family trips, when I go to bed, and there's always at least one RPG sitting on the 'reading desk' in the bathroom beside the throne.

I also have 4+ gaming groups with a variety of members, all of which are willing (well, except for one player in one of the groups) to pick up new games and try them out with me.

And I have the support of my family. Dextra (the current business manager of the ENnies) is my wife, so I've seen the ENnies run from the sidelines for years now, and am aware of the commitments involved, and so is she. Between her support and the support of my kids (13 and nearly 17), I know I'll be available through this.

Plus, the 'crunch time' of the ENnie judging process falling on the first week of July gives me an excuse to bail on extended family gatherings for Canada Day.

4. Judging requires a great deal of critical thinking skills, communication with other judges, deadline management, organization, and storage space for the product received. What interests, experience and skills do you bring that will make you a more effective judge?

My day job is marketing director for a small firm with a lot of IT infrastructure - which means I'm constantly maintaining a dozen or so projects that require constant attention, hands-on action and reporting, and documentation so everyone else in the company has a clue as to what is going on.

At home I have an entire room dedicated to nothing but games (and dance studio space). I know exactly how much product the judges receive every year, and the full collection is hardly enough to make a noticeable change on the shelves in that room.

And what do I bring to the table? 28 years of meddling with game systems, playing games to the breaking point and beyond, modifying games, and in more recent years writing game supplements and even RPGs. And a wide variety of games at that - I've run or played in long-term campaigns of Gamma World, Omega World, CyberPunk, Shadowrun, B/X D&D, BECM D&D, AD&D1, D&D3.x, CyberPunk, Vampire the Masquerade, Vampire the Requiem, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Star Frontiers, CyberPunk, Boot Hill, Recon, Call of Cthulhu, Top Secret, GURPS Autoduel, Traveller, MegaTraveller, CyberPunk, Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay (both editions), TMNT, RIFTS, The Palladium RPG, Robotech and I'm sure a few more that I'm forgetting - not counting the games I've only played or run a few times.

5. What styles and genres of RPGs do you enjoy most? Are there any styles or genres that you do not enjoy? Which games best exemplify what you like? Do you consider yourself a particular system’s, publisher’s or genre’s “fanboy/girl”?

My personal favourites are generally modern-day and near-future RPGs. I have an unhealthy obsession with firearms trivia. That said, I also run and play a lot of Fantasy RPGs because they provide a lot of freedom in character concepts and MacGuffins.

I keep trying to come up with game genres that I don't like... but I can always think of a game in that genre that I love. For instance I'm not a fan of the Shadowrun setting, but am a fan of several other similar settings and games. Overall, I'm not happy with games that are written with the base assumption of the characters working as "operatives" and having missions handed to them by the GM. But then again, one of my favourite RPGs is Lacuna Part 1, a game that is exactly that on the surface. I tend to dislike point-buy character creation systems, but was blown away by the setting of Alpha Omega this year.

I like games with a strong social conflict system - games that play up social settings as much as physical ones. I like games where something is drastically shifted from the paradigm you expect. I like games with a fairly unified mechanic so you can learn the main rules structure in the game with a simple role-play scene and fight scene. I like death spirals - no matter how unrealistic they are.

I'm a total CyberPunk and Post-Apocalypse RPG fanboy. I'm also a fan of companies that support organized play in a big way - that kind of support for the player base gives me a case of the warm fuzzies.

This is the hardest question in this process.

The game I play most is CyberPunk 2020 - it is DEFINITELY not the best designed system, in fact I play it in spite of the system.

While I love the unified mechanic of the new World of Darkness, I don't like how it plays out in combat.

I think d20 came close to being an incredible game system, but was bogged down by complexity. I think that True20 tried hard to clean that up, but didn't go far enough.

For one-shot games, the simpler the better. This makes games like Lacuna Part 1 ideal for me (roll dice equal to your appropriate stat, difficulty of all rolls is 11).

For extended games, I like games that provide a gentle power curve and reward process that improves characters gradually but also immediately. If the resolution mechanic of CyberPunk was not a straight d10, it would come close to this ideal for me (and if the game wasn't so shopping-oriented).

In the end, a game system has to support the setting and vice-versa. That's what makes it work for me.

7. What games have you played in the past year? List up to 10 RPGs you have played the most.

Since GenCon 2007 I have played the following role playing games:

Lacuna Part 1 - The Creation of the Mystery and the Girl in Blue City: I run this game whenever I have a gathering of gamers and non-gamers and people who don't play in my regular campaigns. It's my RPG obsession of late.

D&D3.5: Specifically an Arcanis game and a random dungeon crawl game. We introduced our kids to gaming through D&D, and this is the game they love to play.

CyberPunk 2020: I've been running the last ever CyberPunk 2020 campaign for our group for 18 months now. I'm a total CyberPunk junky.

New Tribes: This is my own house-rules edition of CyberPunk. Ran a version of it for the first time for New Year's Eve to introduce a group of 9 players to a game other than D&D. One of the players had never role-played before, and the rest had never played another RPG. It was a rocking playtest of the game system.

Exalted 2nd Edition: Pulled out the sample game and ran it for my D&D group. They found it interesting, but the player most into crazy acrobatics ended up playing the tank and in the end the game kind of fizzled.

Star Frontiers
: Yeah, the classic oldie from TSR. Ran a few games of Truane's Star Vice, a game where toupee-wearing dralasites in pastel suit jackets try to interrupt the drug trade around Truane's Star, to the sounds of 80's mega-hits.

Vampire: the Requiem
: Finally started a chronicle of this last summer and played a few sessions over the past year. Not impressed with how the combat system seems to be working, but happy with the rest of the game.

Werewolf: the Apocalypse
: Ran two games of this to introduce the oldest daughter's boyfriend to non-D&D games.

Scion: Started a new Scion cycle two weeks ago.

B/X D&D: My favourite flavour of D&D, but unfortunately we discovered it is NOT our D&D group's favourite flavour after three sessions, much to my chagrin.

Warhammer Fantasy RP 2e: Ran two (awesomely fun) short campaigns to convert a player from miniature wargaming to roleplaying.

8. Briefly summarize the criteria you will use for judging products in the different categories. How will you deal with comparing products of vastly disparate lengths, medium (PDF vs. print), or mechanics to prose ratios? Will innovation and originality play a major role?

Originality yes, Innovation sometimes. Innovation for the sake of innovation is tiring, it has to suit the game, advance the story, or somehow really WORK for me to enjoy it. Originality is important, not that all th ematerial has to be original, but for example, if reading a book on necromantic magic, it should present ideas in a way that doesn't remind me of other books on necromantic magic.

I've been a PDF publisher. I love the medium. However, the medium has it's limits. A huge PDF product is a pain to read - I'd much rather read it on paper. A very small product, or a product designed for a lot of referencing works very well in the PDF medium, as do adventures.

After reading thousands of RPG books over the years, I look for a product that makes me stop reading it and go "wow". Better than that, a book that makes me start talking about the game to my wife and friends. Good mechanics and good prose both get me excited. A well-written game can make me want to play it, even if the mechanics bore me... and really cool mechanics can make me overlook shortcomings in other material in order to give them a test-drive.

9. How will you judge supplements or adventures for game systems whose core rules you are unfamiliar with or you believe are badly designed? What about for systems that are out of print?

First I would try to hunt down the rules for the supplement or adventure if I don't have them. If I do have them and don't like the rules set, I can still be excited about the supplements - as a long-time home-brewer, I've often taken supplements for one game and used them for another. I've run adventures for CyberPunk games over the years from at least a dozen different game systems (and vice versa - I ran a CyberPunk-feeling D&D campaign where I converted CyberPunk adventures to Eberron).

For out of print systems, I would talk to my extensive network of gaming friends to obtain a copy of the rules if possible, otherwise I'll evaluate the product based on using it for another game of a similar feel.

10. How would you like to see the ENnies change (categories, policies, etc)? What should remain inviolate?

I would like to see my wife a little more often. After the judging is over, she seems to go into ENnies overdrive for a month and goes to bed every night at 2-3 am. However, I can't see how to arrange this while she's the business manager, so I figure that jumping onboard will make it more of a family event.

I would be an RPG where you play a robot on a variety of pharmaceuticals (with the base assumption that for some reason these drugs have the regular human effects on these robots), trying to save the world from Ninjas while also preventing your own cybernetic brain from exploding.

It would use d4s and d12s primarily, and include optional rules for use as a drinking game (or for use with the consumption of other intoxicants).

I would play it once, get way too far into it (anyone at the Feng Shui table from Origins a few years ago knows what I'm talking about), then my brain would explode.

-----------------

BONUS BONUS:

I have worked in the RPG industry in the past. I have self-published books and had RPG material of mine published by other publishers. I have a history with these publishers, and I am married to the current Business Manager of the ENnies.

However, I keep my biases under control, IMO. I have a history of dislike for a few companies over the years, however I still play some of their games, and am blown away by others of theirs and promote them. I am also not a hardcore fanboy to the point of it colouring my perceptions of a game.

With regards to my wife (Dextra) being the Business Manager of the ENnies, I feel that this is more a benefit than a problem. I am probably more aware of the ENnies process than anyone who has not already been a judge. When Dextra has questions about products and their eligibility in certain categories, she usually already comes to me for advice. And finally, because I'm running to be a judge this year, she has asked that a third party with a proven track record for valueing democratic process take over as returning officer for the judging panel elections.

-----------------

I am over 18 years of age and can enter into a legal contract.

I have had noprofessional relationship with any RPG publisher from the period of May 2006 to August 1st, 2009.

I have in the past done freelance work for several publishers (Fantasy Flight Games, Mystic Eye Games, Paizo, Paradigm Concepts), published my own work under Ambient Inc. and E.N. Publishing, and was full partner and co-owner of E.N. Publishing.

My employment requires a fairly high skill level in communicating in the English Language.

Last edited:

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Over on RPGnet, some of the judges have started listing their Q&A answers.

21451bfa2da70da.gif

The_Universe

First Post
Introduction:

In my spare time, I’m a professional analyst, but most of the time I’m a gamer. I’ve been in love with games and gaming since I first saw an ad for Dungeons and Dragons on the back of a Transformers comic book, and hooked since an uncle, seeing a fledgling nerd, bought me a copy of HeroQuest for Christmas. Since then, I’ve played or run games in 4 editions of D&D, 3 versions of d20 Star Wars, d6 Star Wars, d20 Modern, Mutants & Masterminds, Savage Worlds, True20, Hollow Earth Expedition, Shadowrun, GURPS, Kobolds Ate My Baby, Torg, Dread, Warhammer FRP, and a few others too obscure to name.

I’ve been deeply involved with the ENnies since 2007, and with the greater EN World community from when it was still Eric Noah’s 3rd Edition News. If chosen as a judge, I’ll judge the entrants fairly and systematically, using a weighted pair-ranking system that ensures each product’s merits and flaws are carefully considered.

Finally, if elected, I promise to do my part to avoid destroying your puny world with space lasers. Honestly, where are you going to get a better deal than that?

I’ve been fascinated with the idea of roleplaying games since I first read a “choose-your-own-adventure” book in my grade school library, and involved in the hobby itself since shortly after seeing an ad for D&D on the back of a comic book. My first real game, though, was d6 Star Wars, which I played or ran more or less continuously throughout high school and the first couple of years of college.

There’s never really been any question that I’d stick with the hobby. I love the action and heroism of any well-run game, and, as DM/GM, I love plotting out stories for my players.

I’ve spent the vast majority of my time in the hobby as a DM/GM, but I play whenever I can. I tend to run homebrew campaigns, but I’ve had a great time with published adventures when I can’t get things rolling on my own.

I’ve had an article published in Dungeon, but that’s the extent of my publishing experience. I’ve also helped organize and run the recently resurrected National Capital Area Gameday, and attend regional conventions and gamedays when my schedule allows.

I’m well-organized, methodical, and (when not gaming) a professional analyst. I’ve got a huge extended “family” of gamers that can help me playtest anything that should need it, and a wife who games with me (Queen Dopplepopolis/DangerGirl!, who’s been an ENnies judge before).

Aside from my secret underground lair, I have a basement that’s entirely dedicated to gaming, with bookshelves just waiting for ENnies entrants. I’ve seen the judging process in action for the past two years, when my wife, Liz, was a judge, and have a good idea of what the ENnies really entail.

I teach critical thinking and structured analysis to adults as a part of my job, and can generally make myself understood in any medium (including messageboards, where a lot of the critical discussions will happen).

I’m a big fan of action/adventure, and find that I don’t often gravitate toward systems that depend on madness or horror (or emotional turmoil) for their core dramatic tensions (except Dread, from the Impossible Dream; I friggin’ love the Jenga mechanic). At the moment, I’m most fond of Green Ronin’s M&M (for it’s flexibility and excellent narrative-control mechanics). That said, I’ve had a good time with 4th edition D&D, had fun tinkering with Paizo’s Pathfinder update for the 3e ruleset (which I still deeply enjoy), and had a good time with Hollow Earth Expedition, which all, in their own ways, play to the “strengths” I like. But, as much as I like them, these systems have their flaws, and I’m not above looking at each of them with a critical eye.

Mutants and Masterminds will handle almost any kind of game I’d routinely want to run, and, until recently, it would have been the game I played most often. My group is playing 4e right now, and, though they miss M&M’s flexibility, they’re enjoying the return to some classic RPG tropes.

I think both systems are well-designed, but none of them beat Dread (mentioned above), which does a better job matching its task resolution mechanics to its theme than any other game I’ve ever played. It’s an incredibly simple, elegant design. It’s not overly versatile (which I do value), but it’s an unparalleled horror game.

Dread, Savage Worlds, Star Wars Saga, D&D 3.5e, D&D 4e, Hollow Earth Expedition, Mutants & Masterminds, True20, d20 Modern, and Kobolds Ate My Baby.

I think form should follow function (which should give you an idea of how I’ll judge products of disparate lengths, mediums, and mechanics/prose ratios). Some games and supplements work best as short PDFs, other things work best as long books.

Innovation and originality will, of course, play a large role in my assessment of products, but I’m all about total quality, and ensuring that the product in question has a great “hook” and that, in the end, it lives up to the promise of that hook.

To judge each product, I’ll use a weighted pair-ranking system originally developed for the CIA that I use at work, occasionally. As a part of that process, I’ll develop a list of elements that I consider essential indicators of quality in each category. You don’t judge “Best Interior Art” by the same standards you judge “Best Writing!”

Then, I’ll exhaustively compare each product in that category to every other product therein (this is the pair-ranking part) until I have a final ranking for each product. It helps cut the work down into manageable chunks, minimizes bias, and helps ensure that I’m only judging products against the other products entered this year.

I’ll judge them like I’d judge anything else, I suppose, though I’m not sure we’ll see a lot of new entries for systems that are out of print.

In any case, each entrant should be judged on its own merits and flaws (whatever they are), and not any “baggage” that it brings with it. As an example, I’m not a huge fan of any edition of GURPS, but I have a ton of supplements for that game on my shelf, because they’re almost uniformly excellent.

When possible, I’ll try to find the rules I’d need to playtest the supplement. When not, I’ll try to evaluate how much value the supplement would add to the system its meant for, as well as the quality of the ideas that the book itself contains.

I’m perfectly happy with the ENnies officially stated categories and policies. The only thing that must remain inviolate are the judges’ discretion to consider entrants as they see fit.

Let’s be realistic: if I was an RPG, it’d be something like…

“Cubicles & Crusades, a game of cutthroat professional rivalries in which your character must fight to protect his three-hole-punch from a variety of horrific foes, including the dreaded MicroManager, the dead-inside Almost Retiree, and the uselessly meddling Deputy Branch Chief.

Can you convince IT support to install new RAM in your computer before the Budgetary Officer stops you? Can you finish writing that e-mail before the Ignorant Trainee attacks with a barrage of Banal Questions?

Prepare for the Great Cubicle War, and find out what you’re made of!”

Now that I think about it, that might be kind of fun. I might play.

I'm not running this year, but I know from past experience that Xath, Zachary, and Master of the Game are spectacular judges. While he has not been a judge in the past, The Universe is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met (and I don't say that just because he's my husband). He is, without question, more qualified than I ever was.

Introduction

I’ve gamed most of my life, and I’m grateful for the friends and enjoyment gaming has brought me. I enjoy learning new systems and tinkering with rules, and I am not attached to any one system over all others. I believe that the ENnies Awards best serve the gaming community when used as a spotlight that shines on the best that gaming itself has to offer, and this belief will be the foundation of all my efforts and considerations as an ENnies judge. If elected, l will endeavor to bring both a fresh perspective to the Awards, as well as a deep appreciation for the wide variety of experiences all role-playing games provide.

Judge Questionnaire

I started playing RPGs around Christmas of ’80, having received the Holmes’ boxed set as a gift. I’d always had an interest in history, plus I’d just recently discovered Tolkien and fantasy literature, and a friend had just introduced me to Avalon Hill war games -- it was a perfect storm. Despite some slow periods, I’ve remained active and interested in the hobby ever since. I find RPGs to be an excellent creative outlet, and I’m particularly interested in the puzzle and problem-solving aspects of a game. Coming from a wargaming background, I also really like the tactical aspects.

2. Since you joined the hobby, what roles have you played (e.g. vending, professional writing and publishing, freelancing, reviewing, convention organizing, home brewing, playing, GM’ing, etc.)?

Early on, I was primarily a player. Eventually I took on GM’ing duties, and that became my primary role in recent years. I’ve also organized gamedays for local players. During the times between regular gaming opportunities, I enjoy tinkering with my own rules systems and engaging in world-building.

Gaming is my primary hobby, and I’m fortunate to be able to devote a great deal of energy to it. I don’t have many responsibilities with a stronger claim on my free time. I’m also a voracious, fast, and thorough reader -- so while the amount of material is immense, I don’t think I’ll find it overwhelming. Plus, I don’t sleep.

5. Judging requires a great deal of critical thinking skills, communication with other judges, deadline management, organization, and storage space for the product received. What interests, experience and skills do you bring that will make you a more effective judge?

Professionally, I work in IT, so I’m used to tight deadlines and project management, which I think will serve me well. I’ve spent several years doing systems and business analysis, so I believe I have very good critical thinking skills. In addition, I think I’m a fairly accomplished writer – the Ceramic DM competitions on ENWorld have honed the communications skills I learned in college to a fine edge.

6. What styles and genres of RPGs do you enjoy most? Are there any styles or genres that you do not enjoy? Which games best exemplify what you like? Do you consider yourself a particular system’s, publisher’s or genre’s “fanboy/girl”?

I enjoy fantasy-themed games the most, although I’m happy to play just about everything. It was what got me hooked, and it’s what I always come back to. I enjoy most styles and genres -- I’ve found over the years that it’s the players, not the game, that make RPGs fun.

I am a true system junkie, so I’m not particularly wed to any given game. When my group first got started in the hobby, we would typically switch systems as soon as someone had saved enough money to buy the next game that caught our eye.

7. What system do you think is best designed? Is it the one you play most?

That’s like asking what painting is the best. There’s no right answer, and there’s no system that’s a perfect fit for every play-style or player. Like many, I’m rather fond of d20 -- not any particular variant so much as the unbridled flexibility it offers to tweak and tune to your heart’s content. In recent years, I’ve logged more time in d20-based games than any other for regular play, as it made it easier for my less-experienced players to hop from game to game. I’ve relished the opportunities the gamedays and GenCon have provided to branch out into other systems such as Dread or Hollow Earth Expedition, both as a player and as a GM.

8. What games have you played in the past year? List up to 10 RPGs you have played the most.

In the past year, D&D 3.5 and 4e, Dread, Grim Tales, d20 Modern, True 20, Hollow Earth Expedition, Savage Worlds, Cthulhu d20, Serenity, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Star Wars Saga Edition. I’ve bought and read probably another dozen on top of that.

In terms of play time, D&D in various incarnations would be at the top, followed by various iterations of Star Wars.

9. Briefly summarize the criteria you will use for judging products in the different categories. How will you deal with comparing products of vastly disparate lengths, medium (PDF vs. print), or mechanics to prose ratios? Will innovation and originality play a major role?

The movie critic Roger Ebert said something to the effect that “it’s not what the movie is about, it’s how it’s about it.” I think I would approach the ENnies with a similar philosophy, looking at what the game was trying to achieve, and how well it accomplished its goal. You shouldn’t judge a beer-and-pretzels game by the same criteria as a game designed for immersive role-playing, for example. For the holistic categories (e.g. ‘Best Game’) one should look to how well the various elements of a product as a whole mesh together.

For the content categories such as Best Rules, it’s more important to be able to see the singular system elements separate from the overall product. It’s been my experience that many, if not most, gamers are likely to build their own Frankenstein’s Monster and cherry-pick from various sources, so a product that does one thing exceptionally well should be recognized, even if the other elements don’t quite meet the same standard.

10. How will you judge supplements or adventures for game systems whose core rules you are unfamiliar with or you believe are badly designed? What about for systems that are out of print?

For any systems I’m totally unfamiliar with, I’d look to pick up the core book (in print or PDF). For products intended for systems that aren’t my cup of tea, I’d do my best to set aside any prejudices, and look at the product in terms of what it brings to the table for gamers in general, and for fans of the core material in particular.

I would also rely on judges with a different gaming background to provide perspective and history on unfamiliar systems. While I trust my own judgment, the insight provided by an experienced player of a particular game would be invaluable.

11. How would you like to see the ENnies change (categories, policies, etc)? What should remain inviolate?

I’d like to see the categories fixed for the coming year before submissions are accepted. While there are always going to be square-peg/round-hole dilemmas, I think the having the playing field established early will further enhance the ENnies’ credibility, and will encourage more publishers to participate. I would also suggest that for the “edge” cases (supplement vs. setting, or supplement vs. adventure, for example), the publisher should decide which category they wish to submit for, with the ENnies judges having the right to veto the inclusion in a category where it is clearly inappropriate.

The Big Lebowski: The Game. And yes, I would play it. Although it’d have to be rated “MA” for Mature Audiences.

mcrow

Explorer
Hello, I'm Mike Crow a long time gamer that would enjoy the opportunity to be an ENnies judge for the 2009 awards. I was born and raised in Minnesota where around the age of 12 I was introduced to gaming by my best friend with my first session of AD&D 2nd Edition.

Since being introduced to RPGs I've played many different games including: Savage Worlds, Hero system, Hard Nova, Star Cluster 2, Roma Imperious, and almost all versions of D&D. I enjoy reading games almost as much as playing them and at one time had a collection of over 400 gaming books. I think that my exposure to many different games and systems would be an asset for the judging panel.

I've written reviews for multiple sites including EN World, The RPG site, Amazon, Game Wyrd, RPG Now and RPG.net. I characterize my reviewing style as fair, thorough and honest with an aim to help the potential buyer by giving them all the info they need to make their decision. I believe that reviewing games, for the past few years has given me a more analytical mind than I had before becoming a reviewer.

As an ENnies judge I will make sure that all games that I believe to be of the best quality are brought to the attention to the judging panel. I'll do my best to make sure the best games (regardless of popularity, obscurity or hype) are available for the RPG community to vote on.

Judge Questionnaire

About 1989, I was 12 years old at the time. The thing that kept me involved was the total stimulation of my imagination. I could think of nothing more interesting and stimulating than playing a hero on an epic adventure or creating exciting, eye-widening worlds to explore.

I've been a reviewer the last few years and did some play testing in the past. As for playing I've been playing for the past 18-19 years, many different games and homebrewed worlds both as a PC and GM.

Fortunately I have a wife that supports me in my "Geeky things", as she states it. She would help make sure that I have the time needed to do the job properly. My gaming group would be some of the people that would help me play-test some of the games. It would be impossible to play them all but I would get to play some of the games for first hand experience. I'll try to pick out games that I think need to be played to give me the best idea of how to judge them and play as many of those games as possible. Most of those games would likely be one shots, but some might have multiple sessions.

With my background in Medical Labs and their tendency to have a procedure in place to keep work flowing, I'd probably come up with an organization and procedural scheme to make sure things are done on time and progress can be tracked. Also, in my everyday jobs I deal with deadlines regularly so this will be no different. Lots of reading + lots of caffeine will be one solution.

I like more traditional, less experimental systems and have a little bit of preference for Sci-Fi and Horror games but also enjoy westerns and fantasy. Some games that could sum up my preferences are All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Coyote Trail, Cold Space, and Roma Imperious. Many of my favorite games have very strong settings.

That's a tough one to answer because often what works best for one genre or setting doesn't work so great for another. However, I think Basic Roleplaying, Harp, VS Engine, and Unisystem are some of my favorites.

D&D 3.5, Roma Imperious, Hard Nova, Call of Cthulhu, D&D 4E and Exalted 2E.

I think it is important to distill the games down what a category is judging it on. For instance: Best Rules should be judged solely on the rules, the way the book looks, how popular it is and hype shouldn't matter. The book could be a handwritten notebook wrapped in a newspaper and should still win "best rules" if it's rules are the best. Lengths and formats are difficult to handle but being longer, shorter, PDF or print will not greatly affect my judging of them. My thought is that greatly written game of 60 pages is a better game a 300+ page monster of a book that is only of average quality and the same goes for PDF VS Print. There have not been that many innovative games published lately but I don't feel that a game needs to be innovative to be a good game. Of course if there were a truly innovative game in the judging pool, it would get notice but no more so than a game that has an highly original setting or just simply well written and designed.

If I knew someone who owned a copy of the rules I'd ask to use their copy. I would also ask people who are more familiar with the rules to explain the basics to me. In the case that a copy of the rules cannot be found or I felt the system was poorly designed I would judge the supplement based on how well the supplement enhances or expands the original system or setting as best I can.

I think the categories and policies that are in place are pretty good, though some more thought should be put into whether or not games should be limited in the number of categories they can be nominated for.

Doh, can't believe I forgot to do this here.

Having been a gamer for 25 years, I have run numerous campaigns using a great many different systems. I have extensive experience as both a Game Master and a player, and though I have never been a part of the industry, I have been a member of the community for most of my life.

I believe that I am a good judge because I enjoy reading a variety of games, and can see through their differences without having any preconceived notions about the inherent superiority of any single system. I also have the time and desire to read through the great many books that I would have to review as a judge. Due to the flexibility of my job I will have ten to twelve hours each weekday to dedicate to fulfilling my responsibilities.

During my term as a judge for the 2007 awards I feel that I proved myself more than capable of handling my duties, as comments from fellow judges can attest, and I promise to bring the same work ethic and sincerity to my term this year, should I be elected again.

Finally, I'll not only commit myself, but each of my three weekly games to making sure as many games as possible are judged through actual play-test, rather than simple study. I have a dedicated group of experienced players who are as voracious as I am about trying new games, and they have proven to be just as excited to be a part of this process.

Anyone wishing for a detailed description of my term as a judge in 2007, please visit my blog at http://enniejudge.blogspot.com/ where I list the products I received and the reasoning behind the choices I made. Should I be elected again I'll continue that blog with the same openness and willingness to answer questions and hear opinions.

I was first introduced to gaming by my older brother, who used me as guinea pig to try out his campaigns back in 1982. I've stayed involved for all these years because there's nothing I enjoy doing more than roleplaying, and I can't think of a better hobby to spend my time on.

I've been a GM for most of my gaming experience, though I've played a great deal as well. I often homebrew my own systems and always my own campaigns, but have never really had an interest in publishing.

I also served as a judge during the ENnies the year before last, and this year I did some playtesting for the (as yet unreleased) Dresden Files RPG.

I own a small business and have a great deal of flexibility in my work, allowing me to spend 10 to 12 hours a day working on my ENnies responsibilities. My group has also proven willing to help me playtest the materials, and I often turn to them to discuss their perspectives on the products.

I have time and energy, solid judgment, and a commitment to fulfill my responsibilities. More importantly, I also have experience from my term as a judge the year before last.

At the moment I'm pretty heavily into pseudo-historical fantasy, but my favorite genres change pretty frequently. Currently I’m running Doctor Who (using FATE), the new Dnd, and Shadowrun 4th edition. Usually I find myself wanting to play whatever I'm not currently running. I don't know that I have a huge preference for a particular company or system, but GURPS, D&D, Fate, and Shadowrun are my old stand-bys.

Ouch, that's tough. I like systems that are written to evoke a specific style of play. Especially those that are written for a particular game setting. GURPS has my all-around vote, because I feel like it can be used for anything, but I play d20 most frequently.

I play a alot of games, but I guess the systems I’ve used the most lately are FATE (Dreden and Spirit of the Century, the new DnD (well, at least I’ve played it a lot in the last month or so), GURPS, Shadowrun, Spycraft, Hollow Earth Expedition, 7th and Sea.

Much of my voting preferences have been discussed in length on my blog, but most importantly it comes down to judging each product on its own merit, not worrying about how it stacks up against something else. Innovation has its place in judging, especially in the rules-specific categories, but it certainly shouldn’t be the sole determining factor.

Like I did the last time I judged, I will get my hands on core materials for any system I don't already own wherever possible. If I simply don't like a system I will seek out reliable sources that do. Last year I referred to reviews and actual play posts extensively during my reviews to try and understand what other people find to be fun about the system.

Mostly I think communication between the ENnies staff and publishers needs to be improved. There needs to be a quick easy way for entrants to see any decisions or changes that have been made that might affect their products. Beyond that, I think the Ennies need to keep their fan-based focus. Keep open communication with anyone interested about each product and why they are being considered.

I’d be some terribly complex Frankenstein homebrew. I'd play it, but always know in my heart that no one else would likely enjoy it.

Xath

Moder-gator
Gertie Barden has been enthusiastic about gaming since she entered the hobby over eight years ago. Like many gamers, she started out with Dungeons and Dragons, but quickly began to branch out into other systems. She's tried almost every system she could get her hands on, from Amber to World of Darkness, systems ranging from no dice to having too many dice to feasibly fit in her hands for one roll.
Gertie became enamored with the ENnies when she first joined the ENWorld community in 2004. She was pleased as punch to be invited to be a part the ENnies staff for the 2006 award season, serving as Volunteer Coordinator and Stage Manager, as well as helping out in other areas as needed. Gertie has continued her work with the ENnies for the 2007 season as the Ceremony Coodrnator and 1st alternate judge. In 2008, she proudly made her debut as part of the judge’s panel, and enjoyed it so much, she hopes to continue on in the post for the 2009 season.
Affectionately referred to by her current gaming group as "the library", Gertie has the ability to retain a massive amount of information regarding rule sets, descriptors and variants without cracking open a book. She also has an enormous organizational talent, due to her passion for Excel spreadsheets. These skills served her well in the 2008 ENnies season, and she hopes to improve her judging abilities even more through experience as a 2009 judge.

Judge Questionnaire

I started gaming when I was 15, during the summer of my sophomore year of high school. I think it was inevitable that I would start gaming, as I’ve been deeply immersed into the science fiction and fantasy genres since before I can remember. I was practically raised on Star Trek and Tolkien. While on a school trip to Paris, I met someone who was later to become one of my best friends. We found out that we had a lot in common and he thought I’d be interested in gaming. From that point on, I haven’t been able to stop. I’m not that much of a writer, so I love being able to work with others to shape a story. I’ve been lucky enough to game with some fantastic groups over the years, and I’m sure I’ll be gaming for a very long time.

Vending – Once I had been gaming for about a year, I found myself working for Wizards of the Coast retail. It was an incredible experience. I worked for WotC both before and after they were purchased by Hasbro. It was almost like working for two completely different companies, but both experiences were greatly rewarding. Working for pre-Hasbro Wizards, I was exposed to all manner of board games, card games, RPGs, etc. It really broadened my gaming horizons. That is when I first discovered White Wolf, GURPS, Rifts, and many other systems. After Hasbro purchased Wizards, I got to watch the company develop its own products more. I was lucky enough to be a league manager, and I got to play-test and help develop new leagues.

Reviewing – I originally had great aspirations to be very involved in RPG reviews. I have great faith in my ability to review products, take copious notes, and evaluate it fairly. I’ve even written a few reviews of products I feel really passionately about. I’ve just realized I don’t have the drive to do it quasi-professionally. I choose, instead, to put my gaming energy into my games and the ENnies.

Convention Organizing – In 2004, I worked with Old One and other members of the ENWorld community to organize the first semi-annual MD-DC-VA Game Day along with the University of Maryland gaming community. It was a rousing success, and I was heavily involved in the planning of the subsequent two game-days.

Homebrewing – I love homebrews. My favorite campaign settings of all time have been home brews. For the past few years, I’ve been working on helping my boyfriend to expand and embellish his D&D homebrew. I’ve also been working on a near-future homebrew of my own for a Mutants & Masterminds campaign.

Playing – This is definitely my favorite and most trafficked area of experience in RPGs, and is what got me into gaming in the first place.

GMing – While I’ve had experience GMing, at the gaming table, my preferred role is playing. As a GM, I love world building and plot development, but my passion is in playing. I’m currently running a Mutants and Masterminds game set in a slightly home-brewed version of Freedom City.

I really feel that I learned a lot through my experience as a judge this year. I now have a definite knowledge of how much time and effort are required, and due to some changes in my personal life, I feel as though I will be even more equipped to make the commitment that the ENnies demand. I’ve even learned a few tricks which I hope will help me streamline my judging process more.

My gaming group has recently finished a four year campaign, and they’re itching to game again. I hope that I can use this to get them to playtest new products for the 2009 season.

As I mentioned above, I have a bit of a passion for Excel spreadsheets. I found them highly useful in keeping me organized this year. You can see the details of my judging system here. Regarding storage space, I recently purchased two more giant bookshelves for my new apartment, freeing up an entire book shelf for the ENnies, if needed. And on a personal level, I bring a deep rooted interest in science fiction and fantasy, and a highly active imagination.

I’ve yet to find an entire gaming genre that I don’t enjoy. My favorite genres mostly lie in fantasy, as I have a deep-rooted love for interesting and innovative magic systems. Last year, I said that I didn’t enjoy playing in games with too much of their own backstory attached (for example, Rebellion Era Star Wars). I’ve since been proven wrong. I’m currently playing in a RE Star Wars Saga game, and the GM is doing a fantastic job at having us play an important role in the story, while still maintaining cannon. So I’ve found that with the right group, and the right GM, I can enjoy any gaming system or genre.

I think system design is dependant on what you want to do with it. For example, I think D20 works great for D&D, the system meshes well with the genre. But I don’t think it’s applicable to all situations. I don’t think D20 Modern works particularly well as a system, and depending on the tone of the game I’d be more likely to use Unisystem or Hunter. The system I play the most is D&D 3.5, as that is what my gaming group prefers. However, now that our campaign has ended, I’m really going to try to get the group to branch out and try new systems.

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5
Changeling: The Lost
Dread
Mutants and Masterminds
Star Wars Saga
Exalted 2e
Hollow Earth Expedition
Paranoia
D20 Modern

Well I can’t truly know how I’ll evaluate a product until I have the product in front of me. Length of a product isn’t as important as the overall quality of production. You can have a 50 page .pdf full of pure baloney and a 300 page book with wonderful writing, ideas, and production value and vice versa. I’ve seen companies sink tons of money into a book that’s unmitigated crap, and I’ve seen low budget .pdfs that are incredibly innovative and well written. Innovation and originality are definitely important, but they’re not the only defining factors.

I have a certain budget set aside to pick up the core systems for supplements I am unfamiliar with. I find it kind of unlikely that a supplement would be released for a system that is out of print, but if that happens, there’s always borrowing from a friend or Ebay. And if I believe a system is badly designed, I’ll still evaluate the product fairly. But part of being a judge is evaluating whether or not a system is poorly designed, no?

I think one of the best things about the ENnies is that they continually evolve to follow the industry. When new types of products are released which enhance the gaming environment, the ENnies add a new category to evaluate those products. When certain types of products aren’t produced or submitted, their categories go away. I like that the ENnies are flexible to the industry, rather than forcing the industry to shape itself to them, and I very much hope that trend continues.

Hrm…I don’t know if I’d like to be an RPG. Role playing is like an escape from the everyday, and being an RPG would make using it as an escape tool kind of useless. And besides, if I were a role playing game, would it really be role playing?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads