D&D General 2010: A Turning Point for D&D

Dungeons & Dragons is now so dominant in popular culture that actual play streams have become full-fledged cartoons, gamers have become the target of fast food chains with serious marketing muscle, and major studios squabbled over movie rights. But thanks to the lingering effects of the Satanic Panic in the 80s, D&D was treated warily at best and openly hostile at worst by the media just a...
Dungeons & Dragons is now so dominant in popular culture that actual play streams have become full-fledged cartoons, gamers have become the target of fast food chains with serious marketing muscle, and major studios squabbled over movie rights. But thanks to the lingering effects of the Satanic Panic in the 80s, D&D was treated warily at best and openly hostile at worst by the media just a decade ago. Three data points from 2010 show just how far we've come.

sign-3026750_960_720.png
Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

That Time CareerBuilder Said D&D Was Bad for Your Resume
CareerBuilder posted "outrageous and common mistakes" candidates make in job interviews according to a new survey. Among the unusual blunders hiring managers encountered, they reported that:
Candidate used Dungeons and Dragons as an example of teamwork.
This survey was conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Interactive© on behalf of CareerBuilder.com among 2,720 hiring managers (employed full-time; not self-employed; non-government) ages 18 and over between November 5 and November 23, 2009. Of course, it's never appropriate to bring up an irrelevant example in an interview. However, the manager specifically citing D&D as a "blunder" because it's used as an example of teamwork. There's no disputing that there's an appropriate time and place to discuss D&D. But managers could do a lot worse than hire a role-player.

That Time Playing D&D Meant You Were "Undateable"
With the release of Undateable: 311 Things Men Do That Guarantee They Won't Be Dating or Having Sex, the authors compiled dating deal-breakers from hundreds of women, as a sort of "Don't" list for men who were interested in dating women. Chief among them was playing Dungeons & Dragons, listed as a "storm cloud" (one step above a red flag, and a step below "not getting any"):
189. PLAY DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Telling a girl you're a "Dungeon Master" might freak her out. Just a thought. INSIDE TIP: This also applies to online versions of the game, like World of Warcraft. Now you're just a digital dork.
If the authors didn't make it clear that gamers weren't worth dating, there was this exchange, from an interview with Elle magazine:
Anne Coyle: Can I add one more? Okay, I think I would have a nervous breakdown if someone took me to a Medieval Times festival.
Ellen Rakieten: “Hey Anne, do you wanna go on a Star Trek convention on our first date?”AC: I mean, I would be a wreck.
The press tour for the book included ABC's Good Morning America, The New York Post, and Oprah.com.

That Time the Boston Herald Blamed D&D for Murder
Amy Bishop, a professor of biology at the University of Alabama at Huntsville, opened fire at a faculty meeting, killing three of her colleagues. Boston Herald reporter Laurel J. Sweet described the attacks this way:
Accused campus killer Amy Bishop was a devotee of Dungeons & Dragons - just like Michael “Mucko” McDermott, the lone gunman behind the devastating workplace killings at Edgewater Technology in Wakefield in 2000.
According to Sweet, Bishop and her husband James Anderson met in a D&D club while biology students at Northeastern University in the early 1980s and were "heavily into the fantasy role-playing board game," according to the Boston Herald's anonymous source. “They even acted this crap out." Sweet tried to connect Bishop's motivation for murder to Dungeons & Dragons by using the McDermott case as a precedent.
The popular fantasy role-playing game has a long history of controversy, with objections raised to its demonic and violent elements. Some experts have cited the D&D backgrounds of people who were later involved in violent crimes, while others say it just a game.
The McDermott case had little connection to Dungeons & Dragons. Yes, McDermott did have D&D books in his possession. He also had computer equipment, a will, gun cases and ammunition, a passport, blasting caps, bomb-making literature and three gallons of liquid nitric acid. McDermott never blamed D&D for the killings.

Looking back, it's clear 2010 was the nadir of D&D's presence in popular culture. In fact, it seems more likely that the existing media establishment wasn't reacting well to the rising popularity of geeks who thought including game experience on a resume or as part of their dating profile was entirely normal. It would take a few years before the narrative would change, and for that we can only be grateful.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Stormonu

Legend
I also seem to remember an article talking about Israel using “playing D&D” for a reason to boot someone out of their military/not promote them.

In the end it’s all silly and petty prejudices that I’m glad to see going away.

Sacrosanct

Legend
2010 was the lowest point? Clearly the OP wasn’t old enough to remember the 80s. Not datable in 2010? Boo hoo, try people calling you a devil worshipper and murderer and mentally ill just because you played in 1986 lol. Putting DND on your resume might not get you hired in some places in 2010, but in 1985, some places would probably call the police on you. (To keep an eye on you) I lived in one of those towns for a while

By 2010, pop culture was well on its way to embrace geek culture. LotR, Harry Potter, marvel movies, Big Bang Theory, Star Wars releases, etc we’re already years established by 2010

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads