2017 D&D 5E Class Satisfaction Survey Results

Thank you for doing this. This is actually really good feedback.

Thank you for doing this. This is actually really good feedback.

Some people like their classes more crunchy. They liked 4E. For those players, there's the battlemaster.

Well, if they liked 4e, why not continue playing/running 4e? There's no need to play the latest WotC product. The OSR is going strong. I remember playing OSR games three times a week for years while running my Vats of Mazarin game for B/X.

Every product has a different target audience and cannot satisfy everyone equally.

Well, if they liked 4e, why not continue playing/running 4e? There's no need to play the latest WotC product. The OSR is going strong. I remember playing OSR games three times a week for years while running my Vats of Mazarin game for B/X.

Every product has a different target audience and cannot satisfy everyone equally.
Preferring crunchier classes does not automatically mean that they don't regard anything about 5e as an improvement.

Preferring crunchier classes does not automatically mean that they don't regard anything about 5e as an improvement.

I apologize for thinking that when you wrote, "They liked 4E," I automatically assumed they enjoyed the game.

On the less snarky side. Instead of house ruling in more 4e-isms to 5e, someone more inclined to crunchy combat might also think about adding 5e-isms to 4e instead. It just depends which game is closer to the ideal vision and adjusting accordingly.

I apologize for thinking that when you wrote, "They liked 4E," I automatically assumed they enjoyed the game.
You're probably better off apologising to the person who actually said that then.

I was simply pointing out that wanting a class more crunchy than the champion doesn't mean that someone should have to play 4e. That classes as complex as the battlemaster, or even spellcasters, still have a place in 5e.

On the less snarky side. Instead of house ruling in more 4e-isms to 5e, someone more inclined to crunchy combat might also think about adding 5e-isms to 4e instead. It just depends which game is closer to the ideal vision and adjusting accordingly.
I view the less streamlined classes like the battlemaster to be a 5e-ism, however, and that wanting to play one in 5e shouldn't get you told that you should go play 4e instead. There are more differences between the systems than class design.

Remove ads

Remove ads