D&D 5E 2020 Release Speculation Thread

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I don't think we're going to get many more classes in 5e. WotC has been pretty clear that if they have a new character option concept, it's going to be a subclass. Artificer is quite possibly the last new class we get in 5e.
I would want new classes, an official version of the Blood Hunter, a Psion, a Rune-Caster, Shaman, and Warlord. The problem with these is that if they ever come to 5e, WotC will probably shove them into other classes. Blood Hunter will be a Ranger, Psion a Sorcerer, Rune-Caster a Fighter or Sorcerer, Shaman a Druid, and Warlord a Fighter.

New classes are a good hook to sell more books. And if it isn't by WotC then it will be by lots of 3PPs, someones by people who work for WotC.

We will see more base classes, but with a low number. I would bet the the return of the martial adepts will be with the Wuxia or new Oriental Adventures.

* Some old and almost forgotten lines will come back, but to be adapted into videogame or teleserie to test the reaction by the fandom. If they aren't too popular they can allow themself more risks.

We'll see if they want to do that: seems to undermine book sales and D&D Beyond a la carte sales.
No, it's reaching a different market. Pretty much all players, and many DMs do not buy setting books - and it's inconvenient to have the material scattered across multiple volumes - not everyone plays in their own home, nor can remember what book something appeared in. And the cost is prohibitive for many. We don't all have unlimited funds.

Same goes with digital - many people prefer to use print, and many people play in places without reliable access to the internet. And people who do make extensive use of D&D beyond can buy the non-reprinted content of the new book a la carte, so there is no completion.

Statistics still show that the PHB is the best selling core rulebook, and Xanathar's Guide is the best selling supplement - you can sell more copies if you target players as well as DMs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, it's reaching a different market. Pretty much all players, and many DMs do not buy setting books - and it's inconvenient to have the material scattered across multiple volumes - not everyone plays in their own home, nor can remember what book something appeared in. And the cost is prohibitive for many. We don't all have unlimited funds.

Same goes with digital - many people prefer to use print, and many people play in places without reliable access to the internet. And people who do make extensive use of D&D beyond can buy the non-reprinted content of the new book a la carte, so there is no completion.

Statistics still show that the PHB is the best selling core rulebook, and Xanathar's Guide is the best selling supplement - you can sell more copies if you target players as well as DMs.

That's one theory, but apparently 3E and 4E falsified that hypothesis in practical sales reality: you can attempt to appeal to players, but DMs are still the ones who buy books. You can make more DMs if you make books with largely DM material enticing to players. And based on what we know, whatever they are working on will probably have mostly DM tools in some form or another, whether it is a Setting book or a straight Xanathar's Guide style book (not much difference between the two, other than Gazateer info).

That's one theory, but apparently 3E and 4E falsified that hypothesis in practical sales reality: you can attempt to appeal to players, but DMs are still the ones who buy books. You can make more DMs if you make books with largely DM material enticing to players. And based on what we know, whatever they are working on will probably have mostly DM tools in some form or another, whether it is a Setting book or a straight Xanathar's Guide style book (not much difference between the two, other than Gazateer info).
Players buy fewer books - largely because the DM tends to be the person with the most money to spend. But they will buy some books so long as you don't overload them. The PHB and Xanathar's Guide sales figures are irrefutable evidence for that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Players buy fewer books - largely because the DM tends to be the person with the most money to spend. But they will buy some books so long as you don't overload them. The PHB and Xanathar's Guide sales figures are irrefutable evidence for that.

Not really evidence, let alone irrefutable: XGtE is largely DM material, and literally everyone I know who has a copy is a DM (mostly the same for the PHB, for that matter, many people play with nothing in my experience). Doesn't mean just DMs bought it, but the high sales figures don't necessarily mean anything about who bought the book.

The plans for the old setting isn't only to sell more books, but as multimedia franchises: movies, comics, novels, toys, videogames...

The strategy about the old lines is like a discographic house selling music by a old band. what do they? Compilations for the fans, and the new generations.

I feel a great curiosity about if Paramount pictures has got the exclusive rights for media adaptations. I think this detail is really important because some lines only will come back after the videogame or animation production.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Not really evidence, let alone irrefutable: XGtE is largely DM material, and literally everyone I know who has a copy is a DM (mostly the same for the PHB, for that matter, many people play with nothing in my experience). Doesn't mean just DMs bought it, but the high sales figures don't necessarily mean anything about who bought the book.

I mean, that's anecdotal evidence. But I think it is fairly obvious that most books are geared to DMs (adventures, monster books, settings), and Xanathar's has the most player material of any non-PHB book.

Makes complete sense that Xanathar's is the second book that most player's would buy. And supports why it is currently the #2 selling book, ahead of the DMG.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, that's anecdotal evidence. But I think it is fairly obvious that most books are geared to DMs (adventures, monster books, settings), and Xanathar's has the most player material of any non-PHB book.

Makes complete sense that Xanathar's is the second book that most player's would buy. And supports why it is currently the #2 selling book, ahead of the DMG.

Sure, it's anecdotal: just saying that because it has sold a lot of copies, it doesn't prove that player books sell morethan DM books, since it has just as much DM material and is also marketed at DMs.

Remove ads