D&D (2024) 2024 Core rule book changes

aco175

Legend
144 backgrounds with more details and guidance
There goes my idea for an expanded backgrounds book for DMsGuild.

I mean how many can there be? One could get silly and have an elf soldier that is different than a dwarf soldier I guess. They could also be pushing all the non-core race things on us as well, such as a cat-person entertainer that is different than a rabbit-person entertainer.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Lol love the pun.

But 144 seems a huge number for backgrounds. Is it a typo, or maybe a two stage thing where each background has two steps with 12 choices each?
Yeah, it's a curiously "neat" number.
I propose it should be something like one background to fit each of the 12 classes x the 4 elements x The 3 Stooges.

(And if it's not, that's how I'm going to do it anyway.)

Remathilis

Legend
Yeah, it doesn't seem like the same edition, no matter what they claim.

What the heck does "legal to play" even mean?
Crawford suggested that 2014 stuff can mix with 24 stuff with a little elbow grease. For example, the 24 PHB will suggest a 2014 PC gets a bonus feat at first level. I don't think it will be as clean as that, but I don't want to litigate what compatible means for the 900th time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Compatible, yes, but I think this was the first time they used 'legal to play'. I'm assuming there will be stipulations that if you use 2014 classes, you also use 2014 spells and feats. Also wondering if that means that some of the changes they were considering to the rules outside of class updates are going to be left by the wayside or put in as optional rules in the DMG.

Ultimately, it feels like what we're really getting is 12 new classes that have their own spell/feat system to support them. They'll have the same names as 2014, but the reality is you'll have 24 classes to choose from once 2024 comes out.
I wouldn't assume that a certain set of rules will be neccesaru: people are already mixing and matching, no doubt that will continue willy nilly.

I thinknwe have seen all the big rule changes on the docket in the rules glossaries, other than further Class options and star blocks.

Remathilis

Legend

More from the Nerdist

12 classes, 48 subclasses, and over 144 origin options, as well as new feat, spell, and weapon options.

“Race,” like human, half-orc, or elf, is now known as “species” and players will pick this after the character class.

More magic items than the 2014 DMG, a glossary, an expanded appendix of maps, player handouts, and more

All 2014 monsters are back along with new foes, including monsters with high Challenge Ratings like a CR 20 ooze and an Arch-Hag.

The 2024 Manual won’t have any CR changes to existing monsters.

All stat blocks will be updated to make them easier to use and to add some “spice.”

Remove ads