D&D (2024) 2024 Core rule book changes

Oofta

Legend
What i was trying to convey was that they won't add anything new. I remember a thread on here where many people had some great ideas on what to add to the DM's Guide. My fear is they won't add anything new, but instead, be so hyper-focused on the layout and order, that they don't add new ideas.
For example, someone on this board spoke about adding a way to implement optional equipment and inventory rules. Pretty cool idea. Or they could add specific rulesets for types of campaign settings. But, I think once they finally get the structure the way they want it, there will be hesitancy to add these (or any) new ideas.
Hope that clarifies. Sorry about being so vague.
No worries and I didn't mean to sound negative. I just think that much of what the DMG needs will be oriented to newbies. It's not just reorganizing but could also include things like how to run the game, dealing with different types of players and so on. Good stuff for a new DM, not necessarily a lot of tools for an experienced one.

If the AL restrictions are a non-issue as you say, what is the value of AL over just deciding to run a game in a public space that anyone can join? Why shackle yourself to some corporation's rules?
Okay, I hope you're sitting down for this...

Because some people like it, and there is a demand for it. Even if you cannot fathom it.

But, to expand, I can offer some points from my personal perpective because back in the day, I was involved in both the RPGA and the AL.
  1. Community. There is a social aspect to the shared experience, similar to LARPers and RenFaire Folk. A shared community, and people travel yearly to conventions to have mini gaming vacations with friends they met in the community.
  2. Kid friendly and safe. I met so many cool families that play together.
  3. Availability. Some people cannot commit to a regular year-long weekly campaign. But if they can go to 2 Adventurers League gatherings in a month, they can join open tables and complete 2 adventure modules of the campaign storyline, like an MMO pug group filled with a couple guildies and a couple strangers.
  4. Some people like the shared structure, and value the story and cameraderie more than the specific house rule-like limitations.
  5. I like being able to talk to other people about their experiences at their tables during a game day or a convention.
    • "Oh man! In the last slot, I played my barbarian, Mr. Edgerton, and totally got my mind flayed, and almost killed our wizard because I was dominated, but the rogue killed the illithid with a sneak attack. Then I was free to close my eyes and swing for the fences against the Umber Hulks. That felt good.
    • "Dude, our monk kept the illithid stun-locked, it was the Umber Hulks gazes that made my character see a chorus line of dancing umber hulks. I think I as a player failed my saving throw against confusion. It lasted a couple rounds, but I ultimately got the finishing blow of vengeance, which felt appropriate."
    • "Dude, you guys were laughing so hard. Is Megan that fun of a DM?
    • "Oh, she's funny, dude. She does voices and everything. 10 out of 10, as good as Pedro. We were not bored, and she was also so good with Dom's kid, Andy, who totally wants to learn how to DM now."
    • "I wonder if she will be running a game next week. Sounds fun."

Last edited:

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
  • "Dude, you guys were laughing so hard. Is Megan that fun of a DM?
  • "Oh, she's funny, dude. She does voices and everything. 10 out of 10, as good as Pedro. We were not bored, and she was also so good with Dom's kid, Andy, who totally wants to learn how to DM now."
  • "I wonder if she will be running a game next week. Sounds fun."
Great. Now I want to play with Megan. :mad:

;):LOL:

Remove ads