D&D (2024) 2024 Core rule book changes

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
No. Restrictions you are forced to comply with by an authority outside the table is the bad edge.
Players have to comply with restrictions placed by the DM’s authority all the time, and that’s treated as expected and normal. It’s commonly advised that if you don’t like the game the DM is running, you should find a different game. AL is functionally like this for DMs. They can agree to run by the restrictions of the league, or they can run a different game. Naturally some DMs are going to prefer the latter option and that’s fine. The existence of the former option doesn’t hurt anyone.

No. Restrictions you are forced to comply with by an authority outside the table is the bad edge.
How are the campaign restrictions of a Shared Campaign that a DM likes running (and therefore accepts) any different than the restrictions of a DM in their personal campaign? Allow me to give you a hint. There is no impactful difference.

From the players' perspective, they still have the same choice whether if they want to play at that table, any way you slice it.

And if the DM doesn't like the AL restrictions, it's a non-issue because AL doesn't even have to come into the equation. The DM can run their own game outside of the AL environment. Any DM worth their salt can get a table. It may be online, or they may spread the word at their FLGS where AL and other gamers congregate.

It sounds like a complaint looking for a reason.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Players have to comply with restrictions placed by the DM’s authority all the time, and that’s treated as expected and normal. It’s commonly advised that if you don’t like the game the DM is running, you should find a different game. AL is functionally like this for DMs. They can agree to run by the restrictions of the league, or they can run a different game. Naturally some DMs are going to prefer the latter option and that’s fine. The existence of the former option doesn’t hurt anyone.
Right. I don't see the value of submitting to an authority outside the table, so I don't see the value of AL over a non-AL game in a public space with strangers. Its pretty simple for me. Obviously some people disagree and, while I don't really get it personally, I can't argue against preference. Your Mileage May Vary I guess.

Micah Sweet

How are the campaign restrictions of a Shared Campaign that a DM likes running (and therefore accepts) any different than the restrictions of a DM in their personal campaign? Allow me to give you a hint. There is no impactful difference.

From the players' perspective, they still have the same choice whether if they want to play at that table, any way you slice it.

And if the DM doesn't like the AL restrictions, it's a non-issue because AL doesn't even have to come into the equation. The DM can run their own game outside of the AL environment. Any DM worth their salt can get a table. It may be online, or they may spread the word at their FLGS where AL and other gamers congregate.

It sounds like a complaint looking for a reason.
If the AL restrictions are a non-issue as you say, what is the value of AL over just deciding to run a game in a public space that anyone can join? Why shackle yourself to some corporation's rules?

My fear is not for the PHB or MM. It's the DM's Guide. I feel like they are so focused on its restructuring, that they are not going to add anything of true value. I hope I'm wrong.

Oofta

Legend
If the AL restrictions are a non-issue as you say, what is the value of AL over just deciding to run a game in a public space that anyone can join? Why shackle yourself to some corporation's rules?
Stick it to the man?

You've already been told the benefits. You can show up to any AL event with a legal character and play the game. As a DM if I'm running a game I know that my players abided by the rules provided and don't show up to my table with a level 2 PC that has a holy avenger. We bypass all of the session 0 house rules and just jump right into the game.

I really, really don't understand why you care one way or the other. AL isn't for you. We all live by rules enforced by others our entire lives. Unless of course you want to end up in prison.

Oofta

Legend
My fear is not for the PHB or MM. It's the DM's Guide. I feel like they are so focused on its restructuring, that they are not going to add anything of true value. I hope I'm wrong.

Define "something of value". Because an experienced DM may not get anything from it while a newbie might find the revised version extremely helpful. If newbies find it more helpful than the current version (not hard) then I think it's a good revision. Not sure if I'll get it or not, I'll wait and see.

Micah Sweet

Define "something of value". Because an experienced DM may not get anything from it while a newbie might find the revised version extremely helpful. If newbies find it more helpful than the current version (not hard) then I think it's a good revision. Not sure if I'll get it or not, I'll wait and see.
Perhaps they're talking about personal value. For example, what would be good for a newbie has little to no personal relevance to me, and if the game becomes better for new players, that has little or no value to me. In fact, if doing so would lead to the removal or undesired change of things I do value, then that change, for me, is a net negative.

What I was trying to convey was that they won't add anything new. I remember a thread on here where many people had some great ideas on what to add to the DM's Guide. My fear is they won't add anything new, but instead, be so hyper-focused on the layout and order, that they don't add new ideas.
For example, someone on this board spoke about adding a way to implement optional equipment and inventory rules. Pretty cool idea. Or they could add specific rulesets for types of campaign settings. But, I think once they finally get the structure the way they want it, there will be hesitancy to add these (or any) new ideas.
Hope that clarifies. Sorry about being so vague.

Last edited:

Remove ads