D&D (2024) 2024 Core rule book changes

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The farmer's Animal Handling and Nature skills aren't particularly appropriate for the Laborer. And the Acolyte will have Religion skill whereas the Cultist probably shouldn't (cults like to keep their members in the dark about what's really going on)
Not all labourers are urban though, which is why the background should have pick two skills as their base option. So that the background is compatible with the attable world building.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
AL does still have some restrictions though. I wouldn't be surprised if they did either/or for individual characters. So a PC using "classic" characters is okay but if you do you can't use features from the 2024 edition and vice versa. Or perhaps they'll just allow whatever the players want and, as always, some PCs will be slightly more effective.

In my home games I'll be more case by case basis, but we won't know what will be done until we actually get the new books.
For sure, and they can't make those calls until the inknia drt on the new books. But again, those are the worst case compatability scenarios. Any of us at hoke can make individual judgement calls, AL being cookie cutter has to make big sweeping calls. And if they have an easy compatability format there, nowhere else should be problematic.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Why should it?—it's a game, not real life. Also, it reflects the reality that for decades many players choose class first when creating characters.
My preference is to simulate as much as possible when I play, so generally I do choose heritage first. I'm aware that's not all that common though.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But the issue isn't what you prefer, it's what is legally allowed. That's why AL is a double-edged sword at best. Freedom to play, but strong restrictions as to how.
Any table can have restrictions. I wouldn't be surprised if you and I both have had our own house rules and restrictions that we wouldn't budge on.
One of the edges is good; I've come around on that. Doesn't negate the other edge.
Wait, are you implying that freedom to play is the bad edge…?

Remove ads