D&D (2024) 2024 Player's Handbook reveal: "New Sorcerer"

Video Breakdown

Base Sorcerer Class Notes
  • Innate Sorcery at 1st level ("Sorcerer's Rage")
    • Activate as a bonus action
    • Increase Sorcerer spell save DC by 1 and gain advantage on Sorcerer spell attack rolls while active
  • Can change one cantrip on level up
  • Font of Magic and Metamagic both at 2nd level
    • Brought in some of the Metamagic options from Tasha's (not specified)
    • Didn't get into specific Metamagic changes
  • Sorcerous Restoration at 5th level
    • Regain Sorcery Points "a bit easier than before"
  • Sorcery Incarnate at 7th level
    • Can spend Sorcery Points to regain uses of Innate Sorcery
    • While Innate Sorcery is active, can use two Metamagic options instead of just one
  • Arcane Apotheosis at 20th level
    • While Innate Sorcery is active, can use Metamagic options without needing to spend Sorcery Points at all

Subclass Notes
  • Aberrant Sorcery
    • Largely similar to version from Tasha's, mostly tweaks made for clarification purposes and to better integrate with new version of baseline sorcerer class
  • Clockwork Sorcery
    • Largely similar to version from Tasha's, mostly tweaks made for clarification purposes and to better integrate with new version of baseline sorcerer class
  • Draconic Sorcery
    • Still have more hit points and higher AC than base Sorcerer
    • Draconic Spells at 3rd level - expanded spell list (Booyah!)
      • Dragon's Breath spell at 3rd level
      • Summon Dragon at 9th level
    • Resistances no longer cost Sorcery Points
    • Increased speed of Dragon Wings - wings not always active
    • Dragon Companion at 18th level
      • Can cast Summon Dragon without using material components, spell slot, or concentration
  • Wild Magic Sorcery
    • No longer requires DM permission to use your subclass features - "a question of 'when' now, not 'if'"
    • Can dip into their "pool of chaos" more reliably
    • Tamed Surge at 18th level
      • Can trigger Wild Magic Surge at will once per day and can choose effect from chart (with some limitations)
    • Options in Wild Magic Surge table have been redesigned and rebalanced (MOAR CHAOS!!!)
      • No expanded spell list - Wild Magic Surge table essentially serves that function

Last edited:

Will try to do a video breakdown, but it may take a while.

I tend to be rather...meticulous (read: "slow") at the best of times, and I have a family member coming home from a brief hospital stay sometime this morning, so don't be surprised if it ends up on the backburner for a little bit.

EDIT: Comparatively short video, so turns out I was able to knock it out fairly quickly.

Last edited:

GarrettKP

Adventurer
Draconic sorcerers get bonus spells! Hallelujah, praise Paladine!

Wild magic: apparently no bonus spells?

So subclass bonus spells are per sub. I wager storm and shadow will get bonus spells but divine might have something different.
They consider the Wild Magic table as the "extended" list, it seems. I'd wager you're right, something like Divine Soul may not get them because they can pick Cleric spells.

No comments about the metamagic changes, other than that there were changes.

Nice replacement in Draconic Sorcerer's capstone, getting a dragon companion (summon dragon for free 1/day, no concentration) instead of Draconic Presence.

Everyone gets bonus spells (though Wild Magic's table is their "bonus spell" table).

The picture of the elf sorcerer with the teal shirt and lightning in the background is wigging me out. Double biceps on the left arm look like bad AI art with extra fingers.

Oh, and the mods were constantly deleting comments in the chat that had anything to do with the ranger (ie: all the complaints about ranger).

Kurotowa

Legend
They certainly talked up the new and improved Wild Surge table. I don't know if they've entirely sold me on wanting to play a Wild Sorcerer, but it's enough that I'll give it a serious look over when I get the book.

They consider the Wild Magic table as the "extended" list, it seems. I'd wager you're right, something like Divine Soul may not get them because they can pick Cleric spells.

Actually in some ways Divine Soul was the first to have a list, remember depending on the ancestor alignment you choose, you get a 1st level spell known. Just expand that list to be spells from spell levels 2-5.

Remove ads