2d20 Achtung! Cthulhu Is Here

Modiphius has been working on the 2d20 version of Achtung! Cthulhu for nearly two years. A pulp-action game cinematic heroes and Cthuloid terrors, it was originally a Call of Cthulhu setting, and a Savage Worlds setting, set in World War II, with Allied heroes fighting evil Nazis and their supernatural allies. The new edition, launched today, is powered by Modiphius' 2d20 system, and is...

Modiphius has been working on the 2d20 version of Achtung! Cthulhu for nearly two years. A pulp-action game cinematic heroes and Cthuloid terrors, it was originally a Call of Cthulhu setting, and a Savage Worlds setting, set in World War II, with Allied heroes fighting evil Nazis and their supernatural allies.

achtung-cthulhu-2d20-launch-day-553786_700x458.jpg

The new edition, launched today, is powered by Modiphius' 2d20 system, and is available from their web store. The launch line-up includes Player and Gamester Guides, a collector's edition, dice, and a GM screen.

Better yet, there's a free Quickstart! It's called A Quick Trip to France, and has the heroes investigating a sleepy French village, a mysterious chateau, and a villainous Nazi organization. it's 48 pages, and includes a starter ruleset, the adventure, and pre-generated characters.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.01.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.02.17 PM.png

imagineGod

Legend
Pity this did not make the list of Most Anticipated Games this year. It is bringing in more buzz than Dune. Maybe Cthulhu in the brand name does that.

imagineGod

Legend
Well said. I had to play it (Conan Free RPG Day scenario) before it all clicked. This guy does a nice job of breaking down the core mechanic (and other parts in other posts). I've been thinking of starting a gaming podcast and have recorded some draft episodes in which I explain the core mechanic, then another one about Threat, etc. and so on. It's self-evident once you get it, but you have to get it.
The guy makes a mistake grouping Conan with Mutant Chronicles and Infinity.

Both Mutant Chronicles and Infinity are the original 2d20 as envisioned by Jay Little.

After that both Conan and then Star Tre, changed the d6 dice of the earlier originals to the current standard at Modiphius. Also Conan is not that crunchy if you ignore the "Reach" mechanics of weapons, just like Star Trek gets very crunchy if you run proper starship combat with "Extended Tasks". Star Trek is simple in personnel interactions, which is where most Players experience the game. I am yet to see a live play where the full starship combat rules got used. Still better than Paizo's Starfinder starship combat.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
... which, I think, means you should spend it immediately.

I personally prefer individual Momentum pools myself so I wish the game didn't use a group pool. Some 2D20 games have this. But c'est la vie.
Momentum generated from a task roll is either spent by the player who took the lead in that task (or was the only one rolling), banked (to a max of six in the pool) in the party pool, or lost to the ages.

Remove ads

Remove ads