• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Alter self/polymorph/wild shape confusion: which items meld? Which don't?

ForceUser

Explorer
Under alter self, and by extension polymorph and wild shape, the following applies:

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the new item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.
This statement is useful but vague and open to interpretation, and suggests to me a radical change from 3.0 polymorph. I play a druid character and my DM's first reaction to this statement was that if you change shape into an animal with wild shape (and by extension, polymorph, etc.) all of your gear changes shape with you except for armor with the Wild special ability. This is consistent with the rules for polymorph in 3.0 - shapechanging into an animal caused your gear to meld and cease functioning. However, the text regarding gear and polymorph has changed radically, pared down from a lengthy paragraph to the quoted sentence above. To me, the quote suggests that if the form you turn into is capable of wearing the item - say, a lion and a necklace, or an ape and a ring - then the item does not meld into your form and you gain the benefit of it while in an alternate form. Otherwise, why change the language?

Does anyone (Hypersmurf? ;) ) have any insight they can share? Is this feature of the shape changing spells intended to be completely subject to interpretation or was it intended to be more clear? Thanks.

youspoonybard

First Post
Eh, just saw this on the Wizard boards.

*Copies and Pastes*

Any items that can be worn in the new form remain unmelded and functional. Andy posted this on his boards and on the "3.5 answered question stuff".

That is, if you're playing in 3.5, which I assume you are : P.

I'm mixed on it. It makes Wild Shaping much, much more powerful than it was before (that, and the new dire limitation removal), but denies a lot of the stealth aspect.

In my campaign, Druids can get their equipment "runed". Such equipment does not meld if the new form can wear it. "Normal" equipment always melds, no matter what.

ForceUser

Explorer
youspoonybard: appreciate the info, man :)

I reeallllllllyyy want to be able to use my ring of tongues while in dire ape form. I'm having visions of that cool evil ape guy on the old Superfriends cartoon :D

ForceUser

Explorer
If you can dig up the thread and give me a link that would rock. I need proof before I prostrate myself before the Dungeon Master again :D

youspoonybard

First Post
As you wish : P

" Re: Druids and Magic Items
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 3.5, when a character uses polymorph or any similar effect to change form, his equipment either remains worn or held (if possible) or melds and becomes nonfunctional. Thus, wild shaping druids should be able to "hold on to" many more items than normal.

As a DM, I'd adjudicate this as loosely as possible--if I can even conceive of the possibility that the new form could wear the item in a manner similar to the normal form, I'd let it stick around.
Andy Collins
Senior Designer
Wizards of the Coast Roleplaying R&D"

http://pub36.ezboard.com/fgameschat19968frm10.showMessage?topicID=475.topic

TonanBora

First Post
I know, very old thread, but...

So, when someone polymorphs, no matter what shape they take, they should keep any armor worn?
Because I can think of ways the armor could reshape, and resize to fit the wearer magically, thus should I allow it?
Nothing more intimidating than a Dire Bear rocking Spiked Leafweave Fullplate.

Remove ads