• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Alter Self

LokiDR

First Post
There exists a general rule that any creature with a listed climb speed recieves a +8 racial bonus on climb checks, correct? This may make climbing forms more popular.

Wippit Guud

First Post
Number47 said:
If we assume any possible caster, are there any really abusable uses of this spell? You know, if the caster is an abberation, or a monstrous humanoid?

I think an outsider shifting to ravid... +15 natural AC is sickening

Tellerve

Right, but as you pointed out to me earlier you wouldn't be able to fly, at least per the alter self spell. So you'd be this Never Ending story looking one armed beasty flopping on the ground. Probably not getting hit, but not overly heroic either :)

With the +8 climb bonus for having a climb speedl, the same goes for those with swim speed. At least I'm pretty sure most creatures with swim speeds or climb speeds can take 10s even when threatened etc.

Tellerve

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Chris_Nightwing said:
On another point, can you not indeed use Savage Species or similar to extrapolate and change into, say, a young ogre? As long as you stick to the base HD limit isn't that ok?
Someone else did mention this and get shot down (though not by me :p) Really, I think it depends on your DM. You probably won't get any usage out of it, though. I can't think of any humanoids that were in any of the books that were excluded because of HD. Type was the big excluder. If you're an Outsider, however, you might be able to get away with it. 5HD worth of ghaele, for instance, would be quite potent.
Also, for the ultimate disguise (and to cause confusion), turn yourself into a child ;) - no stat changes, no skill penalties (perhaps on certain ones I would rule as a DM, intimidate springs to mind).
I actually like this idea. As a child, you'd still be human and technically of medium size. So there'd be no change to any of your stats or abilities at all. The only difference is that nobody would associate you with a child, especially a child of a different appearance, possibly a different sex?

Wippit Guud

First Post
Tellerve said:
Right, but as you pointed out to me earlier you wouldn't be able to fly, at least per the alter self spell. So you'd be this Never Ending story looking one armed beasty flopping on the ground. Probably not getting hit, but not overly heroic either :)

Actually, Ravid's move at 20ft, not that bad... it's Rasts that move at 5.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If we assume any possible caster, are there any really abusable uses of this spell? You know, if the caster is an abberation, or a monstrous humanoid?

From Savage Species:

If you're a monstrous humanoid, there's anthropomorphic whale for +9 Natural Armor and Size Large. (I think they don't get their skill bonuses, 'cos they're dependent on the Blindsight (Ex) ability).

Plus Thri-Keen for Deflect Arrows bonus feat, +3 Natural Armor, 4 claws and 1 bite natural atacks, and +4 to Hide in desert settings.

There are also a couple of anthropomorphs with fly speeds.

-Hyp.

LokiDR

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

From Savage Species:

If you're a monstrous humanoid, there's anthropomorphic whale for +9 Natural Armor and Size Large. (I think they don't get their skill bonuses, 'cos they're dependent on the Blindsight (Ex) ability).

Plus Thri-Keen for Deflect Arrows bonus feat, +3 Natural Armor, 4 claws and 1 bite natural atacks, and +4 to Hide in desert settings.

There are also a couple of anthropomorphs with fly speeds.

-Hyp.

There are 4 monsterous humanoids fromt the MMII that could be powerful

*Abeil (vasal) - fly 60 (average), 2 claw+sting
*Boggle - small size, +2 natural armor, climb 30', 15' reach (does this even qualify?), +10 escape artist, 2 claw+bite
*Thri-keen - +3 natural armor, speed 40, 4 claws+bite, deflect arrows, +4 hide in sandy settings
*Yak-folk - +7 natural armor, large size, 10' reach,

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hey, let's not forget - Share Spells lets you cast Alter Self on your familiar, or if you're multiclassed, your Mount.

Paladin's Mount is a Large Magical Beast. There must be some nifty Magical Beasts out there...

(Shame there won't be many Huge ones coming in under 5HD :) )

-Hyp.

Destil

Explorer
How are the Gith written up in the revision? Do githzeri get something like inertial armor as a bonus feat, still? And are they Outsider (extraplanar)? May be nice for a planetouched...

sithramir

First Post
Githyanki and Githzerai are both medium humanoids. Don't see why they can't be used by a normal humanoid casting the spell yet they seem left out of your lists but still on mine. Though I don't see anything that you'd gain from changing into them compared to the other races with bonus AC.

I have 2 characters i na new campaign who believe themselves shapechangers. One if a druid and the other a ftr/wiz who uses alter self to beat on stuff.

Unfortuantely, a ranger in the group hates lizardmen so i can't abuse that 5 ac and have to go trogolodyte! :(

Remove ads