• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Alter Self

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
This has been a most inspiring and impressive thread!

One thing I would like to point out is that (I think) 2e Alter Self allowed you to get wings, but they were inert and useless.

On another point, can you not indeed use Savage Species or similar to extrapolate and change into, say, a young ogre? As long as you stick to the base HD limit isn't that ok?

Also, for the ultimate disguise (and to cause confusion), turn yourself into a child ;) - no stat changes, no skill penalties (perhaps on certain ones I would rule as a DM, intimidate springs to mind).

Ferret

Explorer
You guys aren't even seeing the big picture are you? Half dragons!

You can become a young black dragon! And all other kinds of stuff! What about the drakes?

Darklone

Chris_Nightwing said:
No templates, for the (n+1)th time!

If he's a halfdragon, then his race is draconian... he does not want to change into a halfdragon with the spell, he's talking about the application of the spell by a halfdragon.

Conaill

First Post
Chris_Nightwing said:
One thing I would like to point out is that (I think) 2e Alter Self allowed you to get wings, but they were inert and useless.
Nope. That would be Change Self, not Alter Self. AS could give you wings with a fly speed of 30' and poor maneuverability.
On another point, can you not indeed use Savage Species or similar to extrapolate and change into, say, a young ogre? As long as you stick to the base HD limit isn't that ok?
Except that an Ogre is of type Giant, not Humanoid. In fact there aren't *any* Large or larger Humanoids in the MM, except for some lycanthropes, which don't qualify because they use a template. (There don't seem to be any > 5 HD Humanoids either, for that matter.) Personally, I think Giants should be classified as Huge Humanoid (Giant), but hey...

As for changing into something with less racial HD, I asked about that earlier and got shot down. Presumably because of the part that says "You are effectively disguised as an average member of the new form's race."

Then again, as you point out, changing age presumably *is* within the scope of the spell, so alower-HD version of a standard creature could be argued to be within its scope as well. One of those things you'll just have to negotiate with your DM.

LokiDR

First Post
Ferret said:
You guys aren't even seeing the big picture are you? Half dragons!

You can become a young black dragon! And all other kinds of stuff! What about the drakes?

Other than flight, I don't think you can get all that much out of a 5hd or less dragon.

Number47

First Post
If we assume any possible caster, are there any really abusable uses of this spell? You know, if the caster is an abberation, or a monstrous humanoid?

LokiDR

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:

Forest Gnome small (+1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks), 20ft move,+4 hide (+8 in wooded areas)
A side question really, but is that +4 stackable with the racial +4? Forest Gnomes might well be an utterly amazing shape for hiding. Wand of alter self for a rogue?

LokiDR

First Post
Number47 said:
If we assume any possible caster, are there any really abusable uses of this spell? You know, if the caster is an abberation, or a monstrous humanoid?

I posted some monsterous humanoids out of MMII that could provide a lot of utility. I don't see that as any more powerful than outsiders. There are more ways to be an outsider than a monsterous humanoid.

Remove ads