D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] alternates to Freedom of Movement?

Sekhmet

First Post
Me too, if attacking them was a viable option, you'd think they would have said something to that effect. So either they're invulnerable or so numerous that attacking them is just a waste of time.

If the latter, Fire Shield doesn't need your attention to defend against them.
If the former, any of the other options provided work just fine.

Magesmiley

Explorer
Another nasty trick would be using the Projected Image spell. Let the warlock try to figure out why the tentacles aren't affecting the other wizard as he appears to be lobbing spells at the warlock. As an added bonus, the tentacles will probably keep the warlock's friends from running up and beating on the image.

Wyvernhand

First Post
Tentacles are pretty much invicible, but can be Disintegrated. Probably not action advantageous though.

Also, keep in mind that Tentacles have to go on a horizontal plane, facing upward, and only extend up 10'. That means that anyone 15' off the ground is invicible to them. They can't go on walls or the ceiling, so there is no such thing as "too high" to become vulnerable to them again.

anest1s

First Post
Silent Image, Initiative, Tentacles, Actual Wizard shows up and hits as hard as he can the warlock to immobilize him. Then he is behind a wall of tentacles, and can shoot the rest of the party down.

I doubt it will go that well, BUT it has hopes.
Especially if the rest of the party delays to let the warlock use the tentacles first.

Also, if some minions charge before the silent image appears, success is much more possible. And I doubt anyone will see the illusion from the first round...

Last edited:

Enkhidu

Explorer
Ideas:

Summon things to tie up the tentacles. It'll make the player feel like those tentacles are useful, while still allowing Big Evil to wallop the party. Better, summon things to grapple the Warlock.

Ride a beast into battle who's only action would be to ready an action to move whenever the Warlock moves.

Use black tentacles on the Warlock. Better, use spell turning to do it instead.

Wyvernhand

First Post
Spell Turning doens't work. Tentacles doesn't target. No target line, no dice for Spell Turning. SR wouldn't work either, since Tentacles are SR: No.

Sorrowdusk

First Post
I like warlock and I've had fun with the ability myself. But TBH it isnt always useful a lot of times, there's not always room (remember its a spread) to use it without hitting the party and good luck using it when the party is already engaged in melee. But yeah, if you've got an enemy caster or a group in the back you might be able to hit them with it.

As others have said, it is possible to teleport out of it-you can still use Verbals for V only spells OR command word items. Of course if you've a cleric in your party, or you're a multiclass like my own Cleric/Warlock/Eldritch disciple you can drop a Quickened silence over the area as well. It is certainly possible to have psionic abilities in items as well, which generally only require a mental command.

You may have more than one caster in the enemy group and spread them out so they are not so close together-if the warlock grapples one, the other will have warning and may dispel it. FURTHERMORE-either caster could have a Ring of FoM, or the Freedom Armor property from MiC. The wizard at this point could/should also be flying if ceiling heigh permits, I know the Warlock will (or at least ought to be.)

ALSO-if you like, you may House Rule that while the warlock can cast his Evards as much as he wants, casting a new Evards ends the first, the same way as it is with Nightmare's Made Real from CoM.

How do people normally deal with say, WEB?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/web.htm

(Albeit entanglement does not negate somatics, it requires a Conc check; and the fighters would have an easier time cutting the wiz out, than beating the grap on the tentacles and THEN making an aid/assist to the wiz. Also mind you Evards only grapples you once, if you are in the area when it is cast, or if you enter it. Breaking free keeps you free until you leave and THEN re-enter.)

Last edited:

Remove ads