D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] alternates to Freedom of Movement?

Sorrowdusk

First Post
Tenser's Transformation - Bump Strength and gives a Fighter BAB - you aren't casting spells though with this, so it is ideal if your Evoker / Eldritch knight has already cast all his "buff" spells and is ready to throw down.

Is Contingency an option? I don't think making a Contingency based on being immobilized or grappled would be too out of place for any high level mage given the pain it can be.

@CuRoi

Transformation :: d20srd.org

Tenser's sucks. It sucks a lot. IMO its not worth it for a 6th lvl spell, Divine Power it is not. BAB? sure. And a neat lil + 4 Str/Dex/Con and a +5 on your fort saves plus a lil AC but IMO its not worth losing all casting EVEN from items as well. Divine Power gives you Fighter BAB and a +6 to Str and you dont lose your casting to boot. Seems like the Wiz would be better off if had a command word item that could drop DP on him, and save the 6th lvl slot for something else. And if you JUST wanted to get out of the grapple, FoM a 4th lvl spell, lower than TT (but not on the list, but the same cost as DP) could most certainly get you out of it. Its the most direct approach.

SEE THIS?
http://www.motifake.com/image/demot...-dragons-demotivational-poster-1209415677.jpg

Thats not Tenser's Gandalf's using, remember he was an Ainur. That's Divine Power folks.

(Oh, and SR is what conjurations school is for. Plus some) people say SR as presented has always been negligible because "all the best spells dont have it", but thats another discussion/debate.)

Last edited:

CuRoi

First Post
It's DC 20 + spell level. See footnote 1: Concentration :: d20srd.org

Right, I felt that was sort of implied. It's still fairly easy for a caster to make those checks at that level (12-15 I think is the range we're talking about). Although, my group's casters regularly take Combat Casting and like making Concentration boosting items, so mileage may vary : ) Not sure if that is a caster staple in other campaigns, but skill boosting magic is relatively cheap.

CuRoi

First Post

I'm not rating the spells, I'm just providing a possible answer to the question - what would an Evoker / Eldritch Knight do to get out of a nasty grapple. It gets them out and is especially useful if they are buffed to the nines prior to this.

Not every repsonse a DM gives his players needs to be "optimized". Most of the time it just needs some flavor - a steroidal Eldritch Knight ripping through some tentacles and charging the party might be just the thing, who knows? :)

Eman Resu

First Post
I thought, and all my groups have always played grapple vs spell casting the this way, that 1/2 the grapple damage caused was added to the concentration ck of the spell caster?

Sorrowdusk

First Post
Tenser's is personal only-but what would actually make a cool engineered spell via research would be a sort of Fort save based Forced Tener's Transformation. So you hit any caster with it and they would lose all spell casting and item use temporarily, balanced by the fact that they get to hulk out. Perhaps toss in a confuson/insanity affect too.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
There's already a spelll to use Tenser's offensively. The only differences are that it's called Mindless Rage, it has a will save, it's only level 2, and it's in Spell Compendium. :)

(And that was tongue-in-cheek, I realize it's got other differences like being enchantment.)

CuRoi

First Post
I thought, and all my groups have always played grapple vs spell casting the this way, that 1/2 the grapple damage caused was added to the concentration ck of the spell caster?

I don't think that Grappling applies continuous damage by the rules. Even Constriction I don't think is described as "continuous" - in other words a new successful action each time before damage is caused. In any case, you only consider damage in the concentration check if it ocurrs during the spell casting. Some creatures may cause automatic damage each round in a grapple but even it's usually during their turn and I'm not sure it is classed as "continuous".

Aside from that, the concentration check for Grappling is separate from Damage caused, but I can see wanting to combine them just to keep things moving.

Tenser's is personal only-but what would actually make a cool engineered spell via research would be a sort of Fort save based Forced Tener's Transformation. So you hit any caster with it and they would lose all spell casting and item use temporarily, balanced by the fact that they get to hulk out. Perhaps toss in a confuson/insanity affect too.

It's called Baleful Polymorph : ) There's Feeblemind too but thats a Will Save. Both lower level than Tensers.

Eman Resu

First Post
I don't think that Grappling applies continuous damage by the rules. Even Constriction I don't think is described as "continuous" - in other words a new successful action each time before damage is caused. In any case, you only consider damage in the concentration check if it ocurrs during the spell casting. Some creatures may cause automatic damage each round in a grapple but even it's usually during their turn and I'm not sure it is classed as "continuous".

Aside from that, the concentration check for Grappling is separate from Damage caused, but I can see wanting to combine them just to keep things moving.

It's called Baleful Polymorph : ) There's Feeblemind too but thats a Will Save. Both lower level than Tensers.

Barbarian Big Bob gets Wizo The Insignificant in head lock, Bob says try to cast a spell now runt! Wizo cast a spell no prob saying ha ha you hurt me 2 seconds before I tried casting a spell, if only you waited, you wouldnt be a frog now, Barbarians are so impatient. Bob complains that he never released his hold and was in fact choking out Wizo, who was busy choking and gasping for breath, but all thats heard is ribbitt ribbitt!

CuRoi

First Post
Barbarian Big Bob gets Wizo The Insignificant in head lock, Bob says try to cast a spell now runt! Wizo cast a spell no prob saying ha ha you hurt me 2 seconds before I tried casting a spell, if only you waited, you wouldnt be a frog now, Barbarians are so impatient. Bob complains that he never released his hold and was in fact choking out Wizo, who was busy choking and gasping for breath, but all thats heard is ribbitt ribbitt!

Sounds like Big Bob should be applying a Pin and using the option of not allowing the opponent to speak (which could be illustrated by choking the life out of Wizo). Then Bob can let the party rogue gut Wizo while he's held immobile. This comapred to Bob just struggling with Wizo every round in hopes of killing him slowly and giving him chances to cast. Of course, Barbarians aren't known for their intelligence :lol:

With a full Pin and a covered mouth (or collapsed trachea) I'd say unless the Wizard has a Stilled, Silent spell ready along with Eschew Components, he's in quite a bit of trouble...so the Concentration checks are most likely not even on the table :D If Wizo IS that prepared, I really gotta hand it to him and have no problem having Wizo roll a typical Grapple Concentration check for him to cast.

Besides, Big Bob is unlikely to fail a Fort Save so he's probably safe from being a raging Toad wrestling with the Wizo's familiar...

Remove ads