D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Arcane Archer -- Nifft's Version!

Zad

First Post
Yep yep. It was mostly a thought exercise to see how well the class would extend. I've seen some PrCs that just got ugly when extended so it's just another quick test I tend to look at. I'm not sure that epic DR penetration is all that powerful. The as-written AA gets it at 21s after all but that's a different kettle of fish and may not be a good comparison to make.

FrankTrollman

First Post
The Epic Rules are garbage, and definitionally unbalanced.

The Epic Fighter, for example, gains nothing from taking level 21 of Fighter that he wouldn't get from multiclassing into Wizard except an average of 3 hit points.

In the Epic Progression, BAB and Save progressions end, and classes which were supposedly balanced based on those advantages get nothing in return. So if you look at two character classes (say, Cleric and Paladin), where one gets a better BAB than the other in exchange for giving up some other advantages - at Epic levels the higher BAB class is still giving up those advantages but doesn't get the Higher BAB they bargained for.

Worrying about breaking Epic is pointless: it's already broken before we even consider the larger issue of characters interacting with specific challenges in an Epic environment.

-Frank

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Epic Advancement

HD: d6
Skill Points: 4 + Int bonus

21st: Greater Arrow Augmentation
22nd: --
23rd: Greater Arrow Augmentation
24th: Bonus Feat
25th: Greater Arrow Augmentation
26th: --
27th: Greater Arrow Augmentation
28th: Bonus Feat
29th: Greater Arrow Augmentation
30th: --

Greater Arrow Augmentation: The Arcane Archer's arrows are even more powerful than before. Every time this ability is gained, the Arcane Archer may choose one ability from this list:
  • Penetration: Choose one substance (Silver, Cold Iron, Adamantine), damage type (Slashing, Bludgeoning) or the Epic descriptor. Your arrows penetrate damage reduction as though they had the appropriate descriptor.
  • Enhanced Effect: The Epic Arcane Archer may upgrade a previously chosen effect as follows:
    * Flaming Burst -> Fiery Blast
    * Icy Burst -> Icy Blast
    * Shocking Burst -> Lightning Blast
    * Bane -> Dread a wee tad overpowered?
    * Holy -> Holy Power
    * Axiomatic -> Lawful Power
    * Anarchic -> Chaotic Power
    * Unholy -> Unholy Power
    * Thundering -> Sonic Blast some middle power needed?
  • Extra Effect: The Epic Arcane Archer's arrows gain one Effect or Effect Enhancement from the Arcane Archer's list of Enhanced Effect special abilities, or gains either the Wounding or Brilliant Energy special ability.

-- N

Zad

First Post
A second option would be to alternate the Greater Arrow's with +1 spellcaster level. I think the balance is good tho.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The trouble with that is that no other Epic class gives ANY spellcasting progression at all!

Presumably, your PC could take some non-Epic Wizard levels to boost her spellcasting... I don't see Arcane Archers as being the sort of people who should be going around casting Epic-level spells anyway.

Also, giving a +1 Bonus equiv. -> +7 Bonus equiv. is strong enough IMHO. No need for spells. :)

-- N

Zad

First Post
The trouble with that is that no other Epic class gives ANY spellcasting progression at all!
You know I think I knew that in the back of my mind but never really consciously realized it. Now that I do, I withdraw the comment. ;)

Moobus

First Post
Very cool ideas! Definitely more interesting than the current Arcane Archer, and it doesn't look too underpowered. Like you say, it is a niche class and not for everyone.

Regarding the warrior vs. spellcaster thread...I think it's pretty clear this is supposed to be a warrior's PrC. It might be less true in 3rd Ed. (now that spells like Stoneskin are no longer caster-only), but half-level spell advancement is still plenty useful - and nicely tied into the PrC. Taking a level in Wizard will result in, what, half a bonus feat and 1 BAB less? Two levels might generally equal twice the power, but there are times when guidelines are only guidelines. 1 BAB in return for 5 caster levels (at Arcane Archer 10) seems like a good time to me. (But then, IMHO that rule of thumb doesn't work at high levels anyway.)

All that said, it does seem that this character would lag a little behind the rest of his party. A lone Arcane Archer might fare better than a lone Ranger (or what have you), but in terms of party dynamics, I dunno...

smetzger

Explorer
I wanted to let you know one of my players is using your class. He is an Elf Fighter 4/Wizard 4/Alt.Arcane Archer 2

I am running this group through RttToEE and this guy joined our group half-way through. He has played 2 sessions with this character. So far everything seems fine with the class.

*:> Scott

Nifft

Penguin Herder
smetzger said:
I wanted to let you know one of my players is using your class.

Yay! Please do let me know how it goes -- I'm going to throw a few of these against my players eventually. ;)

-- N

WizarDru

Adventurer
Nifft said:
Yay! Please do let me know how it goes -- I'm going to throw a few of these against my players eventually. ;)

-- N
So just so I'm clear, which version is the current operating version? Is it the one in the first post, at the top of the thread? I'm assuming you've been editing it as you go, and that it's the 'living' copy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases