D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Arcane Archer Rebuild

Nail

First Post
DrSpunj said:
How's that look?
Looks great to me!

Of course, we'll have to play it to see how it goes. :)

I'm liable to waive the racial requirements, but I'm glad they're in there, in case they should be useful. The character wealth component is viable, if not elegant. And the bow idea itself...is priceless.

The spell penentration power: should that be restricted to spells the AA imbues on arrows? It provides the flavor, the reason why the AA's spells are able to "penetrate".

DrSpunj

Explorer
Nail said:
Looks great to me!

Of course, we'll have to play it to see how it goes. :)

I'm liable to waive the racial requirements, but I'm glad they're in there, in case they should be useful. The character wealth component is viable, if not elegant. And the bow idea itself...is priceless.
Great! I'll print out a couple copies and give you one tomorrow. If I have time tonight I'll hammer out a 4th level PC aiming towards meeting these requirements. Regardless of whether we stay in Eaglesford or jump to the real campaign I believe there's plenty of time for you to incorporate AA's into the campaign world by the time we'd hit 8th level.

Nail said:
The spell penentration power: should that be restricted to spells the AA imbues on arrows? It provides the flavor, the reason why the AA's spells are able to "penetrate".
Umm, it is. :) Here's that part with some italicizing:

Penetrating Arrow (Su): Starting at 3rd level, when using any of her Imbue Arrow abilities, an arcane archer may add her class level as a bonus to caster level checks when trying to overcome a target's Spell Resistance. This bonus stacks with caster levels gained as an arcane archer, as well as with feats like Spell Penetration.
So if you aren't imbuing an arrow with a spell you don't gain the bonus. I'm pretty sure I copied it directly from your post in Nifft's thread.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Interesting take on the ArcArch! I like Monte Cook's Mage Blade, so I like this version of the PrC.

However, I do think that the level 1 bonus to the bow is very strong -- perhaps too strong. I'd prefer a +1 Luck bonus to attack rolls when using the Chosen Mehta (increasing by +1 at every level when the ArcArch doesn't gain a BAB increase), and only a +2 enhancement bonus to damage to start off.

I make an effort to "back-load" my PrCs, so that it's more attractive to stay in one than it is to dip a toe in several.

Still, very cool!

-- N

DrSpunj

Explorer
That's fair. I have to admit starting at +3 came nearly directly from Frank's original comments in this thread. IMO he made a lot of sense when he pointed out that 1 level of any arcane spellcasting class (Bard, Sorc or Wiz) carries with it a +0 BAB for that level. With a 3/4 BAB progression here, that first level of AA means the AA is effectively down 2 BAB already compared to a full BAB class.

I was really trying to push the "bow specialization" angle throughout the build, and by starting with a +3 enhancement on the mehta an AA is better than almost anyone else with a bow. I say almost because a straight 8th level Fighter with Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Focus will have the same to hit bonus using a mundane bow, while with a +2 bow (not unreasonable at 8th level, naturally or using GMW) the Fighter still outshines AA by a couple attack bonus points. The Fighter will likely have Weapon Specialization as well, and with a mundane bow that eats up 2 of the 3 enhancement damage points the AA has going for her. Using that +2 bow the Fighter surpasses the AA's damage by a point.

So, to sum up:

8th level Fighter with WF, GWF & WS, using a +2 bow has an attack bonus of +12, with a damage bonus of +4.

A 1st level AA (of 8th character level) gets a +10 (+1 from the WF prereq, and +3 from the mehta), with a damage bonus of +3 (from the mehta).

Add to that the Fighter will be nearly as good with any other weapon, while the AA without her mehta drops her BAB to +6 (+7 if it's another bow, because of WF) and does no additional damage.

The +3 weapon as early as 8th level is significant, but not overpowering. Doing it this way serves two purposes: the AA is very specialized with her mehta, and therefore dependent on it; and the mehta gains some much needed protection against a common tactic used against archers -- sundering.

If the AA could pick up any bow, at any time, and freely switch between them, I'd lower the the mehta at 1st level to +2. But tying all the powers to a single chosen bow, with all its ads & disads like the Mageblade, means a +3 start is doable and still balanced IMO.

Thanks for comments, Nifft. I like your build a lot as well. It's based on a different perception of what an AA is, I think, but the execution is good with some great ideas!

Remove ads