D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Bardic Music ability prereqs

Christian

Explorer
OK, I think my genuine rules question in the '3.5 Perform, Diplomacy' kind of got swallowed up in the bickering about whether the splitting of the Perform skill makes sense, so I'll give it its own thread ... The prerequisites for the Bardic music abilities, I understand, now include both Bard levels and Perform ranks. (Which sucks for my Rogue/Bard if our group converts, but anyway ...) My question is, do the requirements specify that the ranks must be in one Perform skill? Eg. A Bard needs to be 9th level and have 12 ranks in Perform to Inspire Greatness (IIRC). If a 9th level Bard has 6 ranks in Perform (sing) and 6 more ranks in Perform (dance), can this song-and-dance man Inspire Greatness? Or does he have to max out at least one particular subskill to qualify for the ability?

Thanks in advance!

I'd tend to house-rule 'Yes' but I suspect the official answer will be 'No'. It rather annoys me that they'll give bards an extra couple skill points and then change the Perform skill so that you are forced to spend the extra points on skills that have only RP benefits, or put the same point in that you would have anyway, and be a one-hit wonder in terms of performing.

Christian

Explorer
Yes, well, just for a change I wanted to find out what the 3.5 rules actually said before I started griping about them. Feel free to complain in the original thread along with everyone else-but I'm really hoping for one of the lucky few who have the books to share the details of the class ability description here. (But thanks for bumping the thread, anyway! :) )

Madfox

First Post
Short answer: No.

Quote from new PHB - "If a bard does not have the required number of ranks in at least ONE perform skill, he does not gain the bardic music ability until he acquires the needed ranks."

Mind you, they increased the power of many of the bardic song abilities. For example, inspire courage works immidiately (though it remains a standard action to activate) and counter song can actually dispel language dependend and sonic effects that are already affecting somebody. At 12th level the bard can cast break enchantment through his perform ability. It might take 1 minute and can only affect one person, but it still is quite good ;)

Remove ads