• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Bard's power?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
A bard makes the perfect 5th-member of an already balanced party. If you have a character focused on melee, a character focused on skills and traps (usually rogue), a character focused on divine magic, and a character focused on arcane magic, then the bard can fill in the gaps where needed.

Regarding skills, the bard can fill in the gaps left by the other party members with social, scouting, and Knowledge skills. Regarding magic, the bard is a secondary buffer, healer, and enchanter. Having a second person to roll initiative to make sure you cast ever-important buffs like haste never hurts. In combat the bard can be comically referred to as a flanking post, but can be fairly effective in melee, especially considering that he benefits from his songs as much as anyone else.

One ability which can truly allow a bard to shine in ANY group however is bardic music. There are several uses of bardic music that are incredibly powerful when the right circumstances present themselves. Fascinate is perhaps the most well-known. It is not difficult to get a high Perform skill and since Perform sets your DC, this is the most difficult Will saving throw that any party is capable of offering. It can end a battle before it begins under the right circumstances, or merely provide distraction for some challenging foes while the party prepares out of sight. Once a bard can add suggestion into the mix, fascinated foes can become allies if the suggestion is worded properly. And finally, Inspire Courage along with other higher level bardic music buffs stack with just about everything else in the game, adding huge numbers to almost everyone in the party. So when the fighter hits because of that extra +X to hit by your music, you might as well count all the damage he dealt with that hit as your own, because if you weren't there, he would have missed. And don't forget to add that extra damage from your music too. :)

Bards are an excellent class, but they do require a fairly experienced or at least knowledgeable player to play effectively. They have an enormous host of abilities. A player who is able to master half of them can make the bard a shining member of the party.

I think the primary reason a lot of people consider bards "ho-hum," weak, or gimped is because they are not a typical min-max class where you get the most out of them as long as you put the right numbers in the right spots. They require a lot of attention to detail to exploit. But they can be exploited to great effect in numerous situations. I have seen bards do incredible things.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I quoted the exact text of Races of Faerun. I can't really give you a more direct link without making WotC lawyers very unhappy.
Okay then, I'll have to look at the dead tree edition, if there's no online source I can link to.

What were you talking about regarding the links on the page I referenced?

Dandu

First Post
It says on the bottom of the wiki page that it's in the homebrew section, which means its definitely not the right source for racial info.

Dandu

First Post
Depending on what prestige classes were used, it could get pretty interesting.

Arcane caster: Bard8/Virtuoso1/Sublime Chord1/Virtuoso9
Divine caster: Bard8/Ur Priest2/Mystic Theurge 8/Arcane Archer2
Main fighter: Bard8/Arcane Duelist3/Swiftblade9
Secondary fighter: Bard1/Warblade4/War Chanter10/Warblade 5

Fajita McJones

First Post
Bards are not powerful in the typical min-maxing sense of the word, but they are powerful if played right as someone who does buffing, battlefield control and out of combat encounters. You just have to know what you are, what you aren't and what you can be in the right situations. You aren't a blaster, not by any means. You aren't a melee beast, or you might think you're a melee beast for a while before you're dead. You're a great buffer and very competent at battlefield control. You're garaunteed to know at least a little bit about everything. You're the ultimate party face and everyone loves you. You're a spy and manipulator the likes of which few have seen. If you try hard enough, you can even make a decent archer.

Remove ads