• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Can you Maximize Dispel Magic?

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
From one of my players:

Can an 11th level wizard cast a Maximized Dispel Magic by using a 6th level slot and have the caster level check to dispel effect(s) be 30 (1d20 maxed + 10)?

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
I agree. He agrees. So there's no debate. But, Hong, if you're still here, the SRD states:

MAXIMIZE SPELL [METAMAGIC]
Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Is a Dispel Magic, wherein one guy is rolling against a set DC, considered an "opposed roll"?

Same player, different question:

I suspect that a Concentration check against a readied Magic Missile to disrupt spellcasting would ACTUALLY force 5 concentration checks at a very low DC for each. Hitting someone with 5 magic missiles and hitting them with 3 sword thrusts should be the same thing. You wouldn't add up the damage dealt by 3 sword thrusts to generate the DC. You'd generate 3 separate DCs.

For each incidence of damage taken, a character rolls a concentration check, DC 10+damage taken+spell level. In the case of a magic missile, this would be about 15+spell level - a joke for most casters. He would have to make 5 checks to keep it from disrupting his spell, but even a 1 rolled on a d20 from a guy with max ranks at 12th level with a decent CON would nearly always make it. Say enemy spellcaster has a CON of 16 and he's got 18 ranks in Conc. So he's got a +21 on Conc checks. 5 magic missiles, even maxed, wouldn't cause him to fail a spell of less than 7th level, even if he rolled a 1 on one of the checks.

Does this make sense? I know that the FAQ had said that you make ONE roll and apply the result to ALL generated DCs, but I thought I read in 3.5 somewhere (can't recall where) that you make a check for each instance of a created distraction.

Thoughts on this one?

Thanks,
D

Last edited:

Henrix

Explorer
Destan said:
Is a Dispel Magic, wherein one guy is rolling against a set DC, considered an "opposed roll"?

I always suggest that you play by the book, not the SRD.
The 3.5 PHB has Dispel as an example of what you may not maximize.
A related example would be to maximize Ray of Exhaustion, saying that you maximize the attack roll, which strictly speaking isn't opposed either. That's not what Maximize Spell is about.

The multiple magic missiles are all part of the same attack.

This is a hijack, but has anyone ever noticed that you can theoretically empower or maximize...

Confusion - which may or may not be worthwhile
Teleport - although you wouldn't want to!

There are probably other spells that have variable numeric components that could be empowered or maximized in unusual ways.

Nail

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
This is a hijack, but has anyone ever noticed that you can theoretically empower or maximize...

Confusion - which may or may not be worthwhile
Teleport - although you wouldn't want to!

There are probably other spells that have variable numeric components that could be empowered or maximized in unusual ways.

Okay, now that's a cool idea.
MAXIMIZE SPELL [METAMAGIC]
Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell's actual level.

So, a maximized confusion would cause the target to always attack the nearest creature, for the duration of the spell.

Is that a good idea???

And a maximized teleport would always be a "mishap", ending inevitably in death by teleport damage.

Okay, now I know that's a bad idea!

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Could a Maixmize actually Minimize variable effects that the caster would want to be low, instead of high? Plane Shift, for example, has a 5d100 mile shunt - could a Maximized Plane Shift grant only a 5 mile shunt?

Nail

First Post
Destan said:
Could a Maixmize actually Minimize variable effects that the caster would want to be low, instead of high? Plane Shift, for example, has a 5d100 mile shunt - could a Maximized Plane Shift grant only a 5 mile shunt?
(Oooo, oooo! An easy one!)

Answer: Nope.

The feat is specific: it maximizes variables. It does not allow you to choose what the variable would be.

Last edited:

Sean K. Reynolds has pointed out that the Teleport table ought to be inverted, so that higher rolls are better from the caster's point of view. (Higher = better is one of the core tenets of the 3.0 rules.) If you adopt that house rule, then maximizing a Teleport is worthwhile: you would always arrive on target. Of course, you could just cast Greater Teleport instead... but maybe you're a sorcerer and would prefer not to spend the slot on it, or something.

Maximized Confusion might be good if you are targeting a burly monster surrounded by his own troops... or a stationary monster could be turned into a kind of living trap....

As for Plane Shift, it could be argued that you should roll 5d100 and subtract the result from 505 miles to see how far off target you arrive: this would reinforce the "higher = better" concept, and make a maximized Plane Shift worthwhile.

You probably already know about maximized Color Spray, but I thought I would point it out anyway.

Maximize Spell: it's not just for damage. (Plus, y'know, it really rolls off the tongue: MAX-i-mize... mmm!)

Edit: typo.

Last edited:

Remove ads