• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Can you Maximize Dispel Magic?

Staffan

Legend
I would allow a Maximized dispel magic. However, the only aspect that would be affected by maximization would be the 1d4 rounds of supressed powers in a magic item specifically targeted by the spell.

As for confusion and the like, I would rule that Empower Spell and Maximize Spell only affect things that are measurements - they do *more* damage, affect *more* targets and so on. They would not affect random variables of a spell that just determine which of several affects apply, such as for confusion and prismatic spray - in the case of prismatic spray they would affect the Con damage from the poison ray and the duration of the blindness effect, though.

Number47

First Post
I agree with Staffan. To further clarify, you can Maximize any spell, but if it has any extra effect or not depends on if there are any variables to be maximized. The magic item suppression appears to be the only possible effect of Dispel that is Maximizable.

eryndel

Explorer
An argument against maximized spells with random effects

In perusing the rules and thinking about maximized confusions and teleports I came upon a few things that, IMO, discredit the idea of using maximize with these spells. There exist a few spells that require rolling on a random table to determine the effect. These spells include Confusion, Contact Other Plane, and Teleport.

Maximize spell states: "All variable, numeric, variable effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized."

So, to say that Confusion, and Teleport can be maximized, we are stating that rolling on that random table is a "numeric, variable effect."

Empower spell states: "All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half."

So, as an example, my wizard wants to cast an empowered confusion. Can he? If we assume that maximize spell works on Confusion, then we must assume that rolling on the table is a "variable, numeric effect" and thus the spell can be empowered. [As an aside, I didn't quote the feats in toto, but they have the same limitations i.e. no opposed checks or saving throws]. So, in my example, my subject is confused and I roll a 90 to determine the effect. Because the spell is empowered, my roll now becomes a 135. However, 135 is meaningless on this chart. This logical inconsistency implies, in my mind, that the rolling on the chart is not the effect of the spell per se.

To continue my analysis, lets look at teleport. We run into the same problems with the empower feat. However, if we view the feat as not changing the roll on the chart, but affect the effects once rolled, the use of the feat makes more sense. You wouldn't want to use the feat with teleport because it will increase how far off you are from your target if you acheive an "off-target" result, but it at least makes more sense.

Therefore, I don't think rolling on a spell chart is an effect as such, but the effects, once determined, can themselves be maximized or empowered.

Just my thoughts.

Bah, you guys are no fun. Empowering or Maximizing spells like Confusion, Plane Shift, and Teleport is a clever use of a feat and I would definitely allow it. If the empowered die-roll is > 100%, just assume you use the 100% effect.

Edit: took out several paragraphs of stupidity.

Last edited:

Henrix

Explorer
The tables in Confusion and Teleport are not numeric effects, and cannot be maximized.

The maximezed Plane Shift would deposit you 500 miles from where you intended, though.

A maximized Teleport would possibly, if you rolled a Off target or Mishap result, deposit you 100% off, or deal 10 points of damage.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Henrix said:
The tables in Confusion and Teleport are not numeric effects, and cannot be maximized.

I agree. The effect in the game is not a numeric one (such as with damage or rounds of effect). The only reason the numbers and dice are invovled in those aspects of the spell is for probability and the maximize and empower spells have no effect on probability (otherwise they would work on attack rolls and opposed rolls).

DC

the Jester

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
Multi-Empowered Simulacra were fun in 3E, though :)

-Hyp.

Heck yeah!

I had to go to great lengths to start my Simulacrum Wars story arc in my campaign before 3.5 came out; as soon as I heard about the 3.5 version of simulacrum I worked it in. It was too cool to resist.

Nothing like being horribly outclassed by bad guys tougher than one of your worst enemies, who made them...

Remove ads