D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 character concept Fist of Raziel - overpowered?

Dordledum

First Post
I just made a favoured soul4 / paladin 3 /Fist of Raziel character(progressing in FS spellcasting)

It seems very strong. Any experience with the PrC?

Drowbane

First Post
It is a strong PrC. Overpowered is a very relative term. Yes it is stronger than some other PrCs. Perhaps even "many other PrCs"... but "many other PrCs" are kinda pathetic.

parinho7

First Post
why paladin 3 and not 2? If it is divine grace you want you could use the paladin prestige class from unearthed arcana and lose only 1 caster level.

Dordledum

First Post
why paladin 3 and not 2? If it is divine grace you want you could use the paladin prestige class from unearthed arcana and lose only 1 caster level.

Our party GM doesn't use the Unearthed Arcana options.

And we needed a bit more of a melee presence in the party, the other abilities don't hurt either.

I just made a favoured soul4 / paladin 3 /Fist of Raziel character(progressing in FS spellcasting)

It seems very strong. Any experience with the PrC?

I've DM'd for and played with a Fist of Raziel. Was the PC strong, capable, and willing to fight? Yes. Was it game-breaking? No. It's a nice PrC. Perhaps the biggest thing with it, is that it stacks with paladins for smiting. But I would hardly consider that a deal breaker.

LiL KiNG

First Post
FoR is really nice if you can use the 5th level ACF for Paladin, I think it's called Charging Smite, that deals 2x smite damage on a charge attack and doesn't waste the smite attempt if you miss the attack (if you use the CG Paladin variant - Paladin of Freedom - you can take a level dip into Barbarian for Lion Totem Pounce shenanigans) . You lose your special mount for this, but that's never been a big issue in my experience, just buy a normal warhorse like everyone else if you need a mount that badly.
There are also some decent smite feats if you can get them, I think the one in BoED was OK but a lot of people seem to not like that book.

Empirate

First Post
FoR is really nice if you can use the 5th level ACF for Paladin, I think it's called Charging Smite, that deals 2x smite damage on a charge attack and doesn't waste the smite attempt if you miss the attack (if you use the CG Paladin variant - Paladin of Freedom - you can take a level dip into Barbarian for Lion Totem Pounce shenanigans) . You lose your special mount for this, but that's never been a big issue in my experience, just buy a normal warhorse like everyone else if you need a mount that badly.
There are also some decent smite feats if you can get them, I think the one in BoED was OK but a lot of people seem to not like that book.

I believe Charging Smite would be usable while mounted, if you just buy a normal Warhorse. That way, the nice lance charge damage multiplier comes into play big time. Dipping Lion Totem Barbarian with a Pally of Freedom on a horse, with a lance, Charging Smite variant, and the Spirited Charge feat will wreak havoc with just about anything you can charge. Horrendous damage potential.

Another note: Why not play a small sized Paladin? Sure, you lose out on Str and base weapon damage. But the utility of taking your (merely medium-sized) mount into a dungeon is just too great to pass up. If you can get a mount with a climb speed (how about a combat-trained Leopard), that would be pure awesome.

Remove ads