D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 core 3 tripper build help optimization

Genesist

First Post
I did mean not, my bad. I still don't understand exactly how the whole HD thing is working with the L.A. Does it take up two levels, each of which give me a d8 HP? Also what about BAB? On an unrelated note I see little point with barb 2 as I only have +2 dex mod, so will likely change that to fighter.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You take 2 or 3 LA, basically you gain nothing for it but count as 2-3 levels higher for your xp level (and how much it takes to reach the next level) and wealth by level. For example, if you started as an afflicted (+2 LA) Werewolf Barbarian 4, you would be an 8th level character: 4 Barbarian levels, 2 "Wolf levels" and 2 LA. You would have only six hit dice (and thus 3 feats [HD 1, 3, and 6], and only one ability score adjustment, etc...), but would have level 8 xp and money. In order to get your 7th HD, you'd need to get 9th level xp, and so on. The animal HD are like class HD, you get hit points, skill points (only 2 + int from a poor list, though), and if it's your 3rd HD a feat, and if it's your 4th HD, ability score +1.

Usually you take racial HD "first" since you know..you can't be a Fighter before you're a Minotaur or whatever. Lycanthropy is unique because you can acquire it after adventuring for a while, so you need to have at least one class level HD before you can take the template.

Manzotin

First Post
Maybe it's a bit late, but i'd suggest you getting 1 monk lvl, which grants you 2 useful feats, or\and 1 ranger lvl for the favored enemy (undead), skills and track.

Another option could be fighter2\paladin5 with spiked chain\trip. Paladin boost to saves, 1st lvl spell (magic weapon maybe, or divine favor) and ofc smite are something to look at while fighting undead. Add in the special mount and handle hanimal\ride ranks and you'll get some extra attacks each round.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
If he's doing a trip build, he needs two things: Strength and reach. Size happens to give both of those, so size is nice, too. Beyond that and Int 13 for Improved Trip, not much else matters.

Genesist

First Post
I have looked at the numbers and am not sure that a werewolf would work well with the build, however I am going to look into one level of fighter with a type of were animal up to level 7. The progression I have decided on if DM won't allow were-things is ranger 1/fighter 2/barbarian 1/sorc 1/dragon disciple. We do not play with multiclassing penalties within reason.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Werewolf is definitely not worth it for you. Very little str for 2 animal HD and 2-3 LA. You need Werebear for it to be worth it, though that will be 6 animal HD and 2-3 LA. But with an Orc for the base race, that'd be +20 str.

Genesist

First Post
The problem is that I have to start at level 7, so werebear is not possible. Additionally a tripper needs 3 feats to work, preferably 4. Since you have to start as a class, fighter seems obvious. Leaving 6 levels for were___. Any suggestions that seem worthwhile?

Feats:

Chain proficiency
combat expertise
improved trip
combat reflexes

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You don't need spiked chain proficiency, a Guisarme and armor spikes (plus unarmed tripping) will cover the same threatened area as a spiked chain and saves you a feat. The forced feats from the animal form ARE a downer, of course, really eats into your allotment. But a Human Fighter 1 can have the other 3 right at level 1, then you go into the lycanthrope template. Is it possible to use a monster level progression like was posted above? Even something as simple as starting Fighter 1 / Brown Bear 4 / Level adjustment 2 and just take bear HD as your next two "levels"?

If you can't get werebear, none of the others are worth it for you. Best bet after that is probably a Wizard, believe it or not. Get the highest Con and Int you can afford, possibly even valuing con over int since you need it to overcome the d4 HD (do try for Int 18 after magic items and level 4 increase, though). Strength doesn't actually matter, dex you only need enough to not suck at initiative. Be a Transmuter. Use the Polymorph spell, and pick the biggest, strongest form you can meet the CL and HD requirements for. Post level 7, pick up a level of Fighter and enter the Eldritch Knight prestige class. Ideally you'd be in it already, but you need 7th level caster to have polymorph, and you definitely want to start the game with it at all possible. This means 3/day you can become quite the tripping machine, since str checks don't care about BAB, and touch attacks are easy.

Genesist

First Post
I understand the viablitiy of wizard tripper and will look more closely at it, but prefer to not be a caster. I would rather be the werewolf hunter, or the barbarian vampire tracker archetype. I will do the calcs for going brown bear. Will I have trouble staying in hybrid form as an afflicted lycanthrope?

Remove ads