• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Craft skill and cost of material Mithril

Jaxom

First Post
I figure this topic has been discussed before. I've noticed, by talking to many people, that the way this is handled varies.

The craft skill states in one of it's steps that the cost of the item is 1/3. But it doesn't specifiacally say (that I've found anyway) this applies to the materials used. If this is the case then you have to pay the cost of the Mithril in the DMG to make your item with that material.

If anyone has heard the Sage's ruling on this that would be nice. But even if you're gaming group has house ruled it in some way would be good to hear too.

Beerf

First Post
I Think its in the book

I believe I have seen it stated that when using special materials you pay also pay one third of the cost but I do not remember where. I some know the book and the page please post it.

green slime

First Post
Yeah it works out very funny when you try to craft stuff of special materials.

It takes several years to craft an adamantine spiked chain, as a player of mine found out when he wanted to skimp on costs. He decided not to sit on the sidelines for that length of time.

Conaill

First Post
In 3.0, it was sort of implied in the special materials section that costs for special materials wasn't included in the Craft time calculation. Which is how it *should* be. Unfortunately, they never cleared that up in 3.5. The only place where this is addressed explicitly is for Dragonhide: "Dragonhide armor costs double what masterwork armor of that type ordinarily costs, but it takes no longer to make than ordinary armor of that type."

PS: Could anyone check the DMG whether there are *any* rules for crafting an Alchemical Silver Item? It's not listed in the SRD under the Special Materials section, nor under Craft (Alchemy).

Remove ads